Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Nige92
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Dundalk Match Thread

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm I suspect Junior is not allowed to play against Dundalk this weekend?
He's not, it was the same as Patching. It'll be another chance to see McGonigle from the start.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:04 pm
marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm I suspect Junior is not allowed to play against Dundalk this weekend?
He's not, it was the same as Patching. It'll be another chance to see McGonigle from the start.
Hery has to start for me. If he's fit he should play.

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm
DeeDerry1975 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:04 pm
marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:10 am Is the attendance the same as the Drogheda game? 1.1K?
As far as I know yes, I've been told tickets on general sale are selling quicker for this than they did for the Drogheda game.
Last weeks results for both Derry and Dundalk plus the nature of our performance surely sets this up as a massive fixture. We would have pulled in a massive crowd without any restrictions.

I suspect Junior is not allowed to play against Dundalk this weekend?
Our top goalscorer should not be allowed to play against us......

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm Hery has to start for me. If he's fit he should play.
I would agree, he's played about 70 mins of competitive football plus he played the majority of the Cliftonville match. You'd have to think he's getting close to full fitness.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:43 pm
marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm Hery has to start for me. If he's fit he should play.
I would agree, he's played about 70 mins of competitive football plus he played the majority of the Cliftonville match. You'd have to think he's getting close to full fitness.
If you don't start him, realistically you're only going to se him for the final 30mins. If he's ready then this is the type of game he needs to play in. He's integrated now and is getting to know his team mates. Really hope we go for it from the off. If we want to see the best of our forward players we need a midfield that plays it to feet rather than the speculative balls over the top or onto the box.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:26 pm
marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:21 pm
DeeDerry1975 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:04 pm

As far as I know yes, I've been told tickets on general sale are selling quicker for this than they did for the Drogheda game.
Last weeks results for both Derry and Dundalk plus the nature of our performance surely sets this up as a massive fixture. We would have pulled in a massive crowd without any restrictions.

I suspect Junior is not allowed to play against Dundalk this weekend?
Our top goalscorer should not be allowed to play against us......
Eh?

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

I was having a look into our chances of getting into the top 4 based on points it took to get there historically.
From 2014-2019 the average point total needed = 57. The lowest was 51 in 2017 by ourselves.

We currently sit on 31, which means we need to pick up 26 points from 13 remaining games.
To reach 57 we either need to win 8 remaining games, which is as much as we've won to this point, or win 7 and draw 4. We can only afford the lose 3/4 more games.
We also need Bohs and/or Sligo to crumbled, while staying ahead of Dundalk.

It'll be a tough ask and honestly, I would be shocked if we got there but it means winning this game would be huge!

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:53 pm I was having a look into our chances of getting into the top 4 based on points it took to get there historically.
From 2014-2019 the average point total needed = 57. The lowest was 51 in 2017 by ourselves.

We currently sit on 31, which means we need to pick up 26 points from 13 remaining games.
To reach 57 we either need to win 8 remaining games, which is as much as we've won to this point, or win 7 and draw 4. We can only afford the lose 3/4 more games.

It'll be a tough ask and honestly, I would be shocked if we got there but it means winning this game would be huge!
We've already surpassed expectations for this season. Devine destroyed us. 2 points from 18 available. This season was only ever going to be about survival. Thankfully Devine was shown the door early enough to save our season and the rest is history. So whilst we were all expecting a battle with Longford to see who would go down automatically this current elevated position is unexpected. So enjoy it. Regardless if we win, lose or draw. Also, with Harps and Waterford not too far away we must not get complacent either. Things can change quickly. But a win over Dundalk would be massive and give us belief that we can challenge for top 4.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Absolutely agree Marco. After the first 6 games I would have happily taken an 8th place finish, outside the relegation spots. I was happy to give Rauiri the time and wanted to see how he got the team to play. I'm been very happy with what I've seen and I feel there's more to come.

Certainly not getting carried away and thinking we'll get top 4, it's a long shot. I'm confident enough to say that we won't finish in the bottom 3 though, we're better than that.

It's hard to see where 7/8 wins from 13 would come from here on out unless we go on a hot streak. I'd be more than happy with a 5th placed finish considering where we were.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:16 am Absolutely agree Marco. After the first 6 games I would have happily taken an 8th place finish, outside the relegation spots. I was happy to give Rauiri the time and wanted to see how he got the team to play. I'm been very happy with what I've seen and I feel there's more to come.

Certainly not getting carried away and thinking we'll get top 4, it's a long shot. I'm confident enough to say that we won't finish in the bottom 3 though, we're better than that.

It's hard to see where 7/8 wins from 13 would come from here on out unless we go on a hot streak. I'd be more than happy with a 5th placed finish considering where we were.
When I look at Bohs and Sligo and wonder if they'll experience a post european slump? Sligo got off to a great start but can they maintain that until the end? Im not so sure. Bohs should have enough quality to see it out but again its all about how they pick themselves up. All this is irrelevant if we can't keep on winning ourselves. That's what makes Sunday v Dundalk so exciting. 3 points for us would give those teams above us something to think about whilst opening up a gap with Dundalk. Aside from points I think the squad is in a better place too. We had a good transfer window and managed to replace patching which really surprised me. Signing Junior and Hery was a genius. McGonagle looks a super player too.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

People are starting to get carried away after the last 2 results.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 am People are starting to get carried away after the last 2 results.
The last 2 results?

Derry have moved themselves into mid table with their results since Higgins took over.

He's delivered 29 points from a possible 51 (from 17 games).

If you applied that return to the other six games when Devine was manager we'd comfortably be in the top 4 ahead of Bohs and up along with Sligo.

So unfair to say 2 games.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

marcoloco wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:25 pmWe've already surpassed expectations for this season. Devine destroyed us. 2 points from 18 available. This season was only ever going to be about survival. Thankfully Devine was shown the door early enough to save our season and the rest is history. So whilst we were all expecting a battle with Longford to see who would go down automatically this current elevated position is unexpected. So enjoy it. Regardless if we win, lose or draw. Also, with Harps and Waterford not too far away we must not get complacent either. Things can change quickly. But a win over Dundalk would be massive and give us belief that we can challenge for top 4.
Definitely. It's just a shame that it was this of all seasons that we ended up struggling in so much, as Dundalk being off-form is an anomally and a big opportunity. You'd expect they'll be back challenging again next year.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Nige92 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:53 pm I was having a look into our chances of getting into the top 4 based on points it took to get there historically.

Finishing 4th is all well & good if the Cup winners come from the top 3; of the current top 4 Sligo are already out of the Cup & one of Bohs/Rovers will no longer be in the cup after the next round. This may well be the first season since 2012 where the 4th placed team didn't qualify for Europe & I'm sure I don't need to say who won the Cup that season lol

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 am People are starting to get carried away after the last 2 results.
Please don't think I'm getting carried away, I was just having a look at what might be needed to get top 4. No harm in looking ahead. As I say, I would very surprised if it happened and most likely won't.

JP, you're right about that. I guess the only team outside Sham/Bohs/Pats that would have a good chance of winning it is Dundalk... And ourselves of course :P

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Let's not give stupid frees away in and around the box.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Nige92 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:03 pm
Please don't think I'm getting carried away, I was just having a look at what might be needed to get top 4. No harm in looking ahead. As I say, I would very surprised if it happened and most likely won't.

JP, you're right about that. I guess the only team outside Sham/Bohs/Pats that would have a good chance of winning it is Dundalk... And ourselves of course :P
With the cup you just never know, we have a tough away draw against Harps but confident we can win it; if we do get through then why not start dreaming

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

No spoilers, but for anyone going to the match: Danny Lafferty does the A-Z in the match programme and "F" is a belter. :lol: :lol:

DeeDerry1975
Reserves
Reserves

Post by DeeDerry1975 »

DERRY CITY FC
1 Nathan Gartside
3 Ciaran Coll
4 Ciaron Harkin
6 Eoin Toal
8 Joe Thomson
10 Jamie McGonigle
11 James Akintunde
15 Ronan Boyce
21 Cameron McJannet
24 Daniel Lafferty
25 Evan McLaughlin
BENCH
30 Jack Lemoignan
7 Will Fitzgerald
14 Bastian Hery
16 Mark McChrystal
20 Darren Cole
28 Michael Harris
29 Jack Malone
31 Patrick Ferry
33 Caoimhin Porter

Paddydcfc2010
First Team
First Team

Post by Paddydcfc2010 »

Feels good to finally beat Dundalk. Could have scored a few more as well. Such a positive vibe since Higgins came in :)