Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Derry City v Drogheda United Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

DeeDerry1975 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:51 pm DERRY CITY FC
1 Nathan Gartside
3 Ciaran Coll
4 Ciaron Harkin
8 Joe Thomson
10 Jamie McGonigle
11 James Akintunde
15 Ronan Boyce
21 Cameron McJannet
24 Daniel Lafferty
25 Evan McLaughlin
29 Jack Malone
BENCH
30 Jack Lemoignan
7 Will Fitzgerald
9 David Parkhouse
16 Mark McChrystal
20 Darren Cole
23 Bastian Hery
28 Michael Harris
31 Patrick Ferry
33 Caoimhin Porter

No Eoin Toal tonight, Parky on the bench
No Junior either.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

Great result and a clean sheet. Onwards and upwards!

Gerrymc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Gerrymc »

Great result lads. Another massive three points ⚽️⚽️⚽️

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Excellent result.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Great performance and result. Thought Thomson and Harkin were really good and McGonigle looks a player- not afraid to shoot on sight and took his goal really well. As for Lafferty's second- quality

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Impressive result and a very encouraging performance.

First 20 minutes it was very 50/50 no team on top but from 20 minutes on, we were very impressive. The best we've played alway season maybe? Absolutely dominated the ball, Drogheda couldn't get out. Moved the ball from side to side.

Most encouraging thing from tonight was this period of dominance plus the fact we created numerous chances from open play!! Delighted with that. McGonigle look lively and took his goal really well, quality!

Huge difference in this performance and the one v Drogs away (versus 11 men) and the Longford game. By my count we went long from a KO once, everything else was built from the back. Possibly because they gave us the space to. Was glad to see this return. Also, there was greater balance in how we attacked using both left and right wings, rather that being left dominant. Only a game and a half but Malone at RWB might be a better option? Would like to see it again, certainly against equal/lesser teams. More attacking, better in possession than Boyce who did well at CB.

45 - 65 Drogs were more threatening and out 2nd was against the run of play. After that, the game was over as a contest. They created next to nothing all game. Excellent control of the game for most parts to deny them the ability to build anything.

It's only about 70 minutes but sign Hery up for next season, the fella is different gravy. A midfield trio of Harkin, Hery and Fats... Would love it.

E McLaughlin looks so comfortable, hugely impressive yet again. Very promising from the young lad.

Buzzing after that.

YorbaLinda
Reserves
Reserves

Post by YorbaLinda »

Good team performance last night Boyce looked comfortable in the centre of defence and Mc Gonigle impressed with his running off the ball. Any word on Junior and Toal ?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I thought Thomson was good too. Looked to play the ball forward.

Darren Cole probably not pleased that Boyce picked ahead of him at centre half but he can have no complaints. Thought he was excellent there for a teenager who maybe hasn't played a senior game in that position?

Overall, very impressive. Ferry ahead of Parkhouse probably shows that he isn't in Higgins's plans.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

YorbaLinda wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:15 am Good team performance last night Boyce looked comfortable in the centre of defence and Mc Gonigle impressed with his running off the ball. Any word on Junior and Toal ?
Covid related apparently.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

IfMr Cole and mr Fitz can come on against a hammered team for 15 mins and play absolutely nothing how they hell can 90 mins be justified. Out the door is best

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

After all the moaning about the cup game I expected more from Drogheda. They were clueless last night and I am starting to see why Clancy was screaming that they were in the relegation scrap. Not many on that squad could stand up to this kind of adversity, they may pray Harps' poor run continues and they can avoid a playoff.

Nige has more or less summed up my feelings on Derry. That was possibly Thomson's best game for us and he ran himself into the ground. McGonigle was a pain in the ass for them and looks to shoot every time, which I have no issue with. Need that type of player. Thought at one point Gartside was in need of a pillow and a comforter considering he had nothing to do most of the game. Would happily see him have a similar game on Sunday week.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

A few takeaways...

1. McGonigle's first touch is excellent. He'll have no problem scoring in this league
2. Hery was on the pitch 15mins and showed enough class to tell me that he's still one of the league's most gifted players
3. Derry's composure at the back and the style of play was impressive (Boyce was comfortable and always looking to play it along the ground)
4. Thought Thomson was very good but we still lacked that creative player in the middle. Hery solves that problem.
5. Akitindue struggled. Didn't threaten their goal (except for 1 header).
6. Overall each one of them played their part. Gave it 100%.

And to make it sweeter Bohs have lost to Waterford. :D

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:04 pm A few takeaways...

1. McGonigle's first touch is excellent. He'll have no problem scoring in this league
2. Hery was on the pitch 15mins and showed enough class to tell me that he's still one of the league's most gifted players
3. Derry's composure at the back and the style of play was impressive (Boyce was comfortable and always looking to play it along the ground)
4. Thought Thomson was very good but we still lacked that creative player in the middle. Hery solves that problem.

And Evan McLaughlin looks like he's played for us for a few years, great wee player.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:08 pm

And Evan McLaughlin looks like he's played for us for a few years, great wee player.
Absolutely. Spot on. Thought he was unlucky to get taken off.

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Marco 100% did you see when he came off how knackered he was He gives everything for us

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

eugenio wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:09 pm Marco 100% did you see when he came off how knackered he was He gives everything for us
He does indeed. We've unearthed a few promising young players which is great to see.

Good turn of pace also. Exciting times.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

marcoloco wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:26 pm

He was taken off because he ran himself into the ground & was dead on his feet after another fine performance.

Harsh assessment on Akintunde, he too ran himself into the ground & dragged the CBs all over the place & often creating space for other; he's not the prolific goalscorer some want him to be or ever likely to be. The manager wouldn't have given him a contract extension if he didn't think he was worth it

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

dcfc_jp_1989 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:24 am
marcoloco wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:26 pm
He was taken off because he ran himself into the ground & was dead on his feet after another fine performance.

Harsh assessment on Akintunde, he too ran himself into the ground & dragged the CBs all over the place & often creating space for other; he's not the prolific goalscorer some want him to be or ever likely to be. The manager wouldn't have given him a contract extension if he didn't think he was worth it
I don't think its harsh. I agree he gave 100% and not once did he give up on a ball. But I think he struggled because he failed to influence the game in any way. Now that could be because most of the balls were being lobbed into the box and he's better with something played into his feet or to run onto. But that's partly down to our lack of any creative midfielder which I mentioned. So what I saw v Drogheda he struggled but that's nothing to do with the manager giving him a contract extension? He bagged two assists the week before and could have scored himself. My summary is from 1 game.