Longford Town v Derry City Match Thread

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brandyball
Manager
Manager

Re: Longford Town v Derry City Match Thread

Post by brandyball »

davybhoy wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:46 pm Great result and keeps us moving in the right direction.

Where is Parkhouse these days- has he left or totally bombed out of the squad as wasn't even on the bench against Drogheda when McGonigle wasn't even fit.
I'd say he's on his way out.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Probably go to inistiute.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Was impressed by Akintunde's link up play. Good result. Hery was decent too and Hery is not going to get match fit by picking Parkhouse.

Stewy

Post by Stewy »

Ballymena Utd?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hery's not a centre forward.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Hery can play as a forward and teams don't always play the same formation. Good to see him get some valuable minutes

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Good solid win.

Looking around that squad and starting to think we've got a bit of quality and experience.

What's the story with Parkhouse? Is he gone?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 am Good solid win.

Looking around that squad and starting to think we've got a bit of quality and experience.

What's the story with Parkhouse? Is he gone?
Not looking good for Parky but haven't heard any more. During commentary on Foyle they reckon Brendan Barr is off to Ballymena on loan.

We need to win next 2 home games

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

I think people are getting carried away.
We needed to win and thankfully we did. After a very poor first half we improved as the game went on. But it was only Longford so no time to get over excited. Certainly no time to talk of top 4, , more sensible to talk of staying out of the bottom 3.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

I said when Higgins was appointed I would ve happy if he kept us up. He's gonna need a few transfer windows to put his own stamp on the team and bring in the players he needs. With Drogheda just above us and Dundalk just below us, the next 2 are real 6 pointers.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Any update on numbers for the Drogehda game?

Are we still restricted to 500?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:05 pm Any update on numbers for the Drogehda game?

Never heard. Doesn't the "500" include players and staff and officials from both sides?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

pgdcfc wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:20 pm I think people are getting carried away.
We needed to win and thankfully we did. After a very poor first half we improved as the game went on. But it was only Longford so no time to get over excited. Certainly no time to talk of top 4, , more sensible to talk of staying out of the bottom 3.
I agree. The first goal was very much against the run of play. People will never think back on this fixture as one for the ages, but result gotten. The positive I take out of it is the centre forwards improved link up play that played a part in all the goals. Akintunde provided two very good passes for each goal and the second being capped off by Junior was a welcome sight. This season our lack of goals from open play has been a concern, but the quality in the goals shows we are capable of creating.

In saying that we need to be more ruthless in the final third. Second half Malone and Akintunde squandered 2 goalscoring opportunities. City need to be shooting quicker and hitting the target, not passing it out of the box. We are far too nice.

Enjoyed Hery's cameo too. Absolutely no nonsense with that man with the ball at his feet. Always looking for the pass forward and there was one in particular that looked like he put it under the left back's legs outside the box. I have longed to see him in a City shirt, hopefully he delivers magic.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:05 pm
marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:05 pm Any update on numbers for the Drogehda game?

Never heard. Doesn't the "500" include players and staff and officials from both sides?
Don't think so. For the previous home fixture there was a countdown of the number of tickets available and there was 450 available to fans, another 50 was made up of player complimentary tickets.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

TenaciousDee wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Don't think so. For the previous home fixture there was a countdown of the number of tickets available and there was 450 available to fans, another 50 was made up of player complimentary tickets.
I thought I read that the number allowed included the players officials etc. Harking back to the Rovers game they must have brought 100 people with them including the Umder 19 squad.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm

I thought I read that the number allowed included the players officials etc. Harking back to the Rovers game they must have brought 100 people with them including the Umder 19 squad.
But didn't they do that as back up given the covid outbreak in their camp?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:01 pm
brandyball wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:31 pm

But didn't they do that as back up given the covid outbreak in their camp?
Aye but If the total allowed included players etc that would mean 100 less Derry fans.

Nige92
Manager
Manager

Post by Nige92 »

Only just watched the game. Important win which was comfortable in the end.

First 20 minutes we couldn't get our foot on the ball at all, Longford did a good in disrupting us.

I've noticed over the last few games (Shams, 1st Half Drogs, Longford) that we've abandoned the short goal kick. Only 1 in this game, from which Toal went long. All our GKs are aimed down the left for Junior or Lafferty. I only counted 1 short throw out from Gartside too, which led to our 2nd. His restarts from hand seem to be directed down the keft too. It'll be interesting to see if this continues.

The vast majority of our play goes down the left in general, very few going down the right. It'd be nice to see more balance but that's a talent issue which dictates the plan.

The two goals were lovely to watch, nice passing and finishing.

Hery coming on made a marked difference in midfield, we were better in possession and he made some promising passes through the middle.

Defensively we were rarely troubled, only a chance in the first 30 secs and two good clearances from Toal.