Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
John Bacon

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by John Bacon »

I never thought we would get to a day when our biggest complaint was the lights. For that I'm glad. First world problems eh?

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

summer nights soon , won't need lights !
Remember Maginn park !

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

danny hale wrote:summer nights soon , won't need lights !
Remember Maginn park !
Right enough!

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

I would still be worried about the poor floodlighting being an issue for European games where rules and regulations tend to be stricter with these kind of things.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

An Absolute Disgrace wrote:...it looks like to resolution could be to place a couple of lights on the roof of the south end stand but this won’t be a cheap fix
Excuse my ignorance, but how much would you be looking at to install a few extra lights?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Is the Brandywell at full capacity yet?

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

Davy_g must be a record on this site with over 86000 hits. You are not popular with the former Derry City Council and legacy that the poor Strabane Council has been lumbered with. Davy_g your up there with Bankse.

I’m enjoying the new Brandywell as well as the football but when there are 2000 extra supporters looking to get in you’ll have to start a new one or better, continue this one - cheers.

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

johnm wrote:Davy_g must be a record on this site with over 86000 hits. You are not popular with the former Derry City Council and legacy that the poor Strabane Council has been lumbered with. Davy_g your up there with Bankse.

I’m enjoying the new Brandywell as well as the football but when there are 2000 extra supporters looking to get in you’ll have to start a new one or better, continue this one - cheers.
Thank You John, I'm still around, I haven't gone away ye know :lol: Here's to the next 86000.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

marcoloco wrote:Load of call offs again due to waterlogged pitches... those muck baths will be in awful condition for months were as we'll have a perfect playing surface. Just need a decent midfield now and were sorted!:-)
Think it depends on the grass pitch used. Some are well looked after and some aren't. And some are just in bad locations and some aren't. Don't think Maginn or Sligo's pitch is affected too much whereas Finn Park and YMCA would have been for example.

Still, the pitch is there now so best to get on with watching Derry win on it!

On a separate note, would it make sense for the club to reconsider its terracing policy? Given the current good run, I would like to think we could sell more than the current seating capacity. Particularly for Cork and Dundalk (and Rovers as well possibly). If say, you could get in 200 extra people at an average of a tenner a ticket, that is £2000 which would pay for 2 more hires of the Brandywell for matches.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

“Brandywell Stadium Development” now things are really developing with Stut needing a home and quite entitled to use it but as we’ve had the mobile phone bandits lurking around to hassle supporters, before they have to grow up, or their mammies call them for bed will be a problem. The council has to present Stut with a good deal that would entice them to use it as well as pulling in some more revenue to keep rate payers satisfied. You couldn’t have dreamt the possibility that even Eddie Mahon hadn’t envisaged and his idea of fort George as the place for a ground would be a thought that the council, if they had a crystal ball would now contemplate as a neutral ground and winner all round.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

johnm wrote:“Brandywell Stadium Development” now things are really developing with Stut needing a home and quite entitled to use it but as we’ve had the mobile phone bandits lurking around to hassle supporters, before they have to grow up, or their mammies call them for bed will be a problem. The council has to present Stut with a good deal that would entice them to use it as well as pulling in some more revenue to keep rate payers satisfied. You couldn’t have dreamt the possibility that even Eddie Mahon hadn’t envisaged and his idea of fort George as the place for a ground would be a thought that the council, if they had a crystal ball would now contemplate as a neutral ground and winner all round.
Fort George would never have been a runner for a stadium.

In my opinion Templemore Complex was the perfect location for a multi-purpose civic stadium and leisure complex for the city. And it wouldn't have needed high value employment/housing land like Fort George being taken up, and would in fact have freed up extra land for jobs, facilities and housing at the Brandywell. Eddie had the right idea, just in the wrong place.

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

C'mon, why can we not get something behind our nets at the new Brandywell. Lets finish what we started, lets finish our stadium. Ask Gerard what's it like getting sxxt from behind the nets lol.

https://www.facebook.com/AirtricityLeag ... =2&theater

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

davy_g wrote:C'mon, why can we not get something behind our nets at the new Brandywell. Lets finish what we started, lets finish our stadium. Ask Gerard what's it like getting sxxt from behind the nets lol.

https://www.facebook.com/AirtricityLeag ... =2&theater

Sorry, I think I meant to post this, too many guinness....

https://www.facebook.com/AirtricityLeag ... 691128225/

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Could institute not bring that nice wee goal end stand they have with them when they move to the Brandywell? !

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

danny hale wrote:Could institute not bring that nice wee goal end stand they have with them when they move to the Brandywell? !
Do you not know that they are heading to the Oval.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

magspat wrote:
danny hale wrote:Could institute not bring that nice wee goal end stand they have with them when they move to the Brandywell? !
Do you not know that they are heading to the Oval.
That was just for their license application back in january.

Nothing is confirmed yet re where they're playing, and they are trying to make Brandywell work.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I think it would be a sad state of affairs if Institute end up playing their home matches 75 miles away, when there is a perfectly good stadium available in their city.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Keyser Soze wrote:I think it would be a sad state of affairs if Institute end up playing their home matches 75 miles away, when there is a perfectly good stadium available in their city.

Hopefully common sense will prevail.
Exactly. It would also show up the GAA for their daft rules about ground shares... Still annoyed that we couldn't use a stadium only 5 minutes up the road. Anyway, i can't imagine too much opposition from fans if we get a ground share with Institute as long as it does not affect our access to the Brandywell stadium for games / training. It would also be a great statement of intent for ongoing relations locally...

remember72

Post by remember72 »

If Institute do play their home matches in the Brandywell, where will Derry Citys U17 & U19 teams play their home games on Saturday afternoons? These teams play in the FAI North Section with the likes of Shamrock Rvrs, Finn Harps, Dundalk, Athlone etc and the ground has to meet certain criteria. For the past few years they have had to use various pitches in the North West in both Derry and Donegal. These are the teams that are providing future players for the Derry senior team and we should ensure they get the proper facilities to improve their skills and give them the experience of playing at the Brandywell which they are getting this season.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Very valid points.