Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
TenaciousDee

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by TenaciousDee »

I wonder how much money the council will look for from Stute? Realistically Linfield, Cliftonville and Coleraine will be the only teams that will generate a decent crowd. The last time Stute were in the Premier you'd have been lucky to see 200 at games against clubs that I haven't mentioned (Glentoran maybe being an exception). If they are going to be charged the same rate as Derry they are going to lose a fortune over the course of a season.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

TenaciousDee wrote:I wonder how much money the council will look for from Stute? Realistically Linfield, Cliftonville and Coleraine will be the only teams that will generate a decent crowd. The last time Stute were in the Premier you'd have been lucky to see 200 at games against clubs that I haven't mentioned (Glentoran maybe being an exception). If they are going to be charged the same rate as Derry they are going to lose a fortune over the course of a season.
Apparently any contentious games, like playing the IFA, sorry i mean Linfield will be played in Belfast, possibly the Oval.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

pmac wrote:
TenaciousDee wrote:I wonder how much money the council will look for from Stute? Realistically Linfield, Cliftonville and Coleraine will be the only teams that will generate a decent crowd. The last time Stute were in the Premier you'd have been lucky to see 200 at games against clubs that I haven't mentioned (Glentoran maybe being an exception). If they are going to be charged the same rate as Derry they are going to lose a fortune over the course of a season.
Apparently any contentious games, like playing the IFA, sorry i mean Linfield will be played in Belfast, possibly the Oval.
That's just ridiculous and very unfair on Institute although they would probably stand to make more money from that arrangement.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Short memories...

Remember we asked Stute for loan of their facilities before going to Buncrana... Their answer... "NO"...

I know we will have no say in the matter as its council owned but the Stute board can do one... All the best to Paddy and the local players but we shouldnt be held over a barrel here...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:Short memories...

Remember we asked Stute for loan of their facilities before going to Buncrana... Their answer... "NO"...

I know we will have no say in the matter as its council owned but the Stute board can do one... All the best to Paddy and the local players but we shouldnt be held over a barrel here...
Did Stute really say no ? On what grounds ?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

stevebradley wrote:
Greengo wrote:Short memories...

Did Stute really say no ? On what grounds ?
On Riverside grounds :lol:

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

The Stute Board didn't say no. The YMCA who own the pitch said no on the grounds that they have a youth group session on the Friday and didn't want the grounds intruded upon.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

If we owned the pitch we could say no.

But when you own sweet fa, you can't do much.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

TenaciousDee wrote:The Stute Board didn't say no. The YMCA who own the pitch said no on the grounds that they have a youth group session on the Friday and didn't want the grounds intruded upon.
My bad... Same answer though...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I'd say it's in our direct interests to have Stute using the Brandywell.

There is approx. £30m that is supposedly available for 'sub-regional stadia' in NI, if we ever get a government back. Martin McGuinness appeared to have done a deal with Peter Robinson to divide a good chunk of that between the Brandywell and the Oval. But both those individuals are no longer involved in NI politics, and a number of Irish League clubs will feel that they should get some benefit from the funding instead (remember that Crusaders took the IFA to court over the Windsor funding). Some clubs will no doubt make the case behind closed doors that a stadium used by a League of Ireland team shouldn't be getting priority over those for clubs playing in the Northern Irish League, and that is a message the DUP would no doubt have sympathy with.

So having Institute using the Brandywell - even if they've moved on by the time we get a government back and this funding comes back in play - would really help the Council's bid for the funding it needs to complete the Mark Farren stand.

So if we're not happy that we couldn't use Institute's stadium last year (even though it wasn't their decision), then I believe it's in our own interests to get over that and welcome them into Brandywell. It might just help us get the Mark Farren stand completed within a reasonable timescale.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

stevebradley wrote:- would really help the Council's bid for the funding
herein lies the problem...

I alluded to it on many's an occasion and you used it yourself... Until we own our own ground etc etc...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:
stevebradley wrote:- would really help the Council's bid for the funding
herein lies the problem...

I alluded to it on many's an occasion and you used it yourself... Until we own our own ground etc etc...
Are you saying the council won't be pushing for funding to complete Phase II of the Mark Farren Stand ?

supremo

Post by supremo »

Never mind all this - when will tea and confectionary shops be back on - badly missed at half-time on Monday - it’s a good social thing and it’s makes a bit of money ( I hope) for the club.

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

I was told by a family member of the people that run the shop they wont be back . Council said not fot for purpose

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

DC-2010 wrote:I was told by a family member of the people that run the shop they wont be back . Council said not fot for purpose
So we have the guts of 2000 people, only those who could afford an extra £60 are allowed in our bar. Then we have one Chippy, and now no confectionary stand, magnificent. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

stevebradley wrote: Are you saying the council won't be pushing for funding to complete Phase II of the Mark Farren Stand ?
What do you think ?...
They can sit back now and bask in the glory of what is a revamped Brandywell...
For me it has bought them a few years of doing nowt extra to the place... I have no confidence whatsoever in our council...

Yes we elect them but I believe there are other sports that get better treatments etc...

This isn't a dig at you Steve personally and I like the way the place looks at the moment but I think we will be sitting in the new MF Stand for a good few years before we see more development of the ground...

Hopefully I'm proved wrong but look how long it has taken to get to this stage of proceedings...

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Stadium is definitely an improvement, but it's still pretty poor as a 'football stadium' in an overall context.

The Limerick highlights show the disjointed look of the stadium.

So much hyperbole in media over the past week around it, and you get the feeling it's deliberate to make us all feel grateful so there is no need for a Phase 2.

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

The worst bit about the whole stadium is the glaring emptiness behind both nets. Its really poor looking when you see it on tv. Surely it would not be too costly to stick up to small shed type stands behind either net to make it look like a proper football stadium.

Ps. We need a score board or some reference to the time and score.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

supremo wrote:Never mind all this - when will tea and confectionary shops be back on - badly missed at half-time on Monday - it’s a good social thing and it’s makes a bit of money ( I hope) for the club.
Surely those monies(rent etc) would just go to the Council?

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

MariborKev wrote:
Surely those monies(rent etc) would just go to the Council?
Thats an interesting one Kev, if the council are charging the club significant rent for match days
Surely any subsequent rental \ services could \ should go to the club to off set the rental.

If DCFC are not playing and bringing all the fans into the ground, there is no sale
of confectionery \ tea \ coffee etc