Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
shauna
First Team
First Team

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by shauna »

MariborKev wrote:https://www.facebook.com/CityofDerryRugby/?fref=ts

Interesting to see other developments from another local club.
Pipe dream, the way they are playing this year they are heading back to junior rugby.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

MariborKev wrote: What club play in Celtic Park?
I didnt think any club was based there, which makes it all the worse thats its lying idle.

campsie

Post by campsie »

MariborKev wrote:
deetee55 wrote:Why two local sporting clubs operating within 200 yards of each other cannot even get into a proper discussion about a simple matter like this is beyond me.
What club play in Celtic Park?
No club is based there. Colmcille were there for a while but now have their own. Celtic Park is being used less and less as city clubs get their own premises and Owenbeg hosts more county and big club games.

Derry City should have been approaching them a year ago so that it could have been taken to congress. But if what Greengo said is true and the county board shut the motion down then it wouldn't even have made it to congress.

The blame definitely shouldn't lay with the city clubs. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. There's not enough transparency here to make any assumptions.

chucho

Post by chucho »

Greengo wrote:
The three local clubs had no problem with DCFC using Celtic Park for an interim period and were in favour of a vote to "lend" them the use of the ground. Pressure mounted from the county teams in that the "soccer city" teams were allowing a foreign sport to be played at CP... At first Steelestown stood its ground while Sean Dolans & Doire Colmcille backed down and toed the party line with the rest of the county...
Fearing they would be singled out, Steelestown eventually capitulated giving a 100% vote against DCFC using the ground during 2017...
Greengo where did you get this information? It's a pretty damning indictment of the Derry GAA set up.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

campsie wrote:
MariborKev wrote:
deetee55 wrote:Why two local sporting clubs operating within 200 yards of each other cannot even get into a proper discussion about a simple matter like this is beyond me.
What club play in Celtic Park?
No club is based there. Colmcille were there for a while but now have their own. Celtic Park is being used less and less as city clubs get their own premises and Owenbeg hosts more county and big club games.

Derry City should have been approaching them a year ago so that it could have been taken to congress. But if what Greengo said is true and the county board shut the motion down then it wouldn't even have made it to congress.

The blame definitely shouldn't lay with the city clubs. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. There's not enough transparency here to make any assumptions.
100% agree with analysis. Knew that no club was using it, was just flagging it for others.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Can we not just move on and forget about mentioning that dirty word that is the "GAA" we are going to maginn park were we have been welcomed into by a decent inishowen football authority. So its time to forget about our nasty neighbours and let it be heard loud and clear that the gaa can stick celtic park up their jacksy as far as it will go.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

chucho wrote: Greengo where did you get this information? It's a pretty damning indictment of the Derry GAA set up.
Chucho I knew someone would ask me this question and the old adage I have to reply with is "a reliable source"...

Trust me on this... I have not said anything out of context here nor would I have told the users of this forum had I not trusted my source...

If you read my last post you'll maybe get an idea of my feelings towards an organisation that I once represented albeit at a lower level than County representation...

chucho

Post by chucho »

Fair enough, Greengo.

This whole episode has definitely changed my opinion on the GAA in Derry.

City4ever
Supporter
Supporter

Post by City4ever »

Queen of England allowed to visit Croke Park - YES
''God Save the Queen '' sung at Croke park - YES
Rugby allowed to be played in Croke Park - YES
Soccer allowed to be played in Croke Park - YES
'' British Security Forces '' ( rule 21 ) allowed to play in GAA Stadia - YES

Derry City FC allowed minimal interim use of a basically under-used Derry County ground 500 yards from its own soccer stadium '' Celtic Park '' - NO !! :(

( Backward, Discriminating, Baffling, among others !! ) :?

paul60
First Team
First Team

Post by paul60 »

City4ever wrote:Queen of England allowed to visit Croke Park - YES
''God Save the Queen '' sung at Croke park - YES
Rugby allowed to be played in Croke Park - YES
Soccer allowed to be played in Croke Park - YES
'' British Security Forces '' ( rule 21 ) allowed to play in GAA Stadia - YES

Derry City FC allowed minimal interim use of a basically under-used Derry County ground 500 yards from its own soccer stadium '' Celtic Park '' - NO !! :(

( Backward, Discriminating, Baffling, among others !! ) :?
Gregory must be loving this to add to his repetoire of anti DCFC people.

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Stayed off this as I have some allegiance with a club in Derry. I cant argue with anything said here. Did i hear that there was discussion with sky and government to drop the anthem and the flag at games? They've profiteered from from blood sweat and tears of every amateur and volunteer in the land. I know my father and uncle used to do door collections each week for Celtic Park and that was welcomed by every football fan in the city. However, lets go back to 1998 when St Enda's wanted to open up a fundraiser for the victims of the Omagh bombing at Healy Park..... sure it wasn't a Springsteen concert.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

According to the Belfast telegraph today the £36 million stadium pot that was to come from stormont has been put on hold because of legal fears over glentoran getting £10 million of it to rebuild the oval, it feared other clubs may go down a legal route to stop the glens getting so much of the pot. Strangely or maybe unsurprisingly the belfast telegraph article doesnt mention that any money was earmarked for brandywell just irish league clubs and an ifa centre of excellence.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

shauna wrote:According to the Belfast telegraph today the £36 million stadium pot that was to come from stormont has been put on hold because of legal fears over glentoran getting £10 million of it to rebuild the oval, it feared other clubs may go down a legal route to stop the glens getting so much of the pot. Strangely or maybe unsurprisingly the belfast telegraph article doesnt mention that any money was earmarked for brandywell just irish league clubs and an ifa centre of excellence.
And no mention of the advantage Linfield get with the money for Windor Park

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

gary wrote:
shauna wrote:According to the Belfast telegraph today the £36 million stadium pot that was to come from stormont has been put on hold because of legal fears over glentoran getting £10 million of it to rebuild the oval, it feared other clubs may go down a legal route to stop the glens getting so much of the pot. Strangely or maybe unsurprisingly the belfast telegraph article doesnt mention that any money was earmarked for brandywell just irish league clubs and an ifa centre of excellence.
The 99yr deal Linfield have with the IFA over Windsor is a scandal. Though in fairness - it's not really relevant to an article about how second-tier stadium funding should be distributed.

McGuinness was part of the old Robinson deal for the Glens to get £10m for a stadium, so good luck to everyone in getting that unravelled. What did he get for 'his' voters in return for Ravenhill, Windsor Park, the new Oval etc ? An ever decreasing Casement Park, which is in serious danger of not happening to anywhere near the scale intended. Sinn Fein must be the worst negotiators on the island.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

stevebradley wrote:
gary wrote:
The 99yr deal Linfield have with the IFA over Windsor is a scandal. Though in fairness - it's not really relevant to an article about how second-tier stadium funding should be distributed.

McGuinness was part of the old Robinson deal for the Glens to get £10m for a stadium, so good luck to everyone in getting that unravelled. What did he get for 'his' voters in return for Ravenhill, Windsor Park, the new Oval etc ? An ever decreasing Casement Park, which is in serious danger of not happening to anywhere near the scale intended. Sinn Fein must be the worst negotiators on the island.

The sooner the plug is pulled on the casement park fiasco the better a white elephant that will only be filled once a year if ever because the gaa are never going to move the ulster final north of the border because they then would have to pay vat on the gate receipts compared to none across the border.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

stevebradley wrote:

Steve, I think your wrong there, by accepting the slpit of funding between 1st and 2nd teer
(With the nonsense that 1st teer includes three major stadia in Belfast)
you accept that belfast should immediately get the vast majority of funding before even getting
to regional stadia.

And my refernece to Linfield was more in defence of Glentoran being entittled to significant funding
if Linfield get Windor park developed at no expense to Linfield.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

was it not ment to have started weeks ago?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

The Leb wrote:We have paid over 20+ times more tax and vat than every club in the Irish league since 1985.
Are there any tax implications (positively I mean) for us once we start playing in Donegal, what with us being a UK business?

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Keyser Soze wrote:
The Leb wrote:We have paid over 20+ times more tax and vat than every club in the Irish league since 1985.
Are there any tax implications (positively I mean) for us once we start playing in Donegal, what with us being a UK business?
Brilliant question interested to hear the answer to that one.