Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

brendy_éire wrote:All talk of using Maginn Park today, but IMO we really need to consider using Riverside instead of, or in conjunction with, Maginn Park.
Whilst I love a wee day out to Buncrana as much as anyone, it would be disastrous for our attendances, especially if we're not doing well. A few hundred would be a reasonable estimate of what we could expect to get, I'd reckon.
Distance and transport will put most people off, and virtually eliminate any casual supporter from going. You can further discount anyone travelling from Belfast. Leaving there at 5, you simply won't be able to get to Buncrana in time for KO.
Riverside is much better placed for our games. It's in the city, there's plenty of transport options, a car park, and it can be easily policed (beginning to sound better than the Brandywell even).
I really think the club should be examining the place as an option.
There was a big debate on here last year about the merits of Riverside v Maginn Park.

There seemed to be concerns around the possibility for trouble at the Riverside (ironic given the year the Brandywell's had). Particular concern around July fixtures.

I personally think those concerns are over-played though. And we'll never know if things have moved on unless we test them.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Would rather go out to the riverside than drive to buncrana, i think security concerns are hyped up as well cause if we were able to visit the likes of windsor and the oval for setanta games with no trouble then no reason why we couldnt go to play at drumahoe safely.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Was there not a reason we couldnt use the riverside on friday nites thou? Its already used for somethin

Kellz

Post by Kellz »

Going back to the Development being done in Phases. Was there a reason why we had to wait 'til February to apply for Government funding? I mean, why were Casement, Windsor & Ravenhill able to get funding years ahead of us? Honest question, I am just bemused why we had to wait so long when Belfast seem to have copped on a decade ago that there was a way to get major redevelopment paid for by the tax payer.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

Kellz wrote:Going back to the Development being done in Phases. Was there a reason why we had to wait 'til February to apply for Government funding? I mean, why were Casement, Windsor & Ravenhill able to get funding years ahead of us? Honest question, I am just bemused why we had to wait so long when Belfast seem to have copped on a decade ago that there was a way to get major redevelopment paid for by the tax payer.
Because non of those are "sub regional" stadium.

Half the problem is that Eddie Mahon has been allowed to spout guff about this by the Journal and not taken out by the roots by the club on this. The club should have comprehensively put his points to bed years ago. This "misinformation" doesn't help.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

fergal wrote:Was there not a reason we couldnt use the riverside on friday nites thou? Its already used for somethin
Underage training, I think it was. I remember at the time it was mentioned that it could be overcome though.
If it helps matters, I'd happily accept Saturday evenings too.
If it has to be Buncrana, Saturdays could be the better option there too.

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

We'll get nary a ha'penny from Sin Fein- G.A.A.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

MariborKev wrote:
Kellz wrote:Going back to the Development being done in Phases. Was there a reason why we had to wait 'til February to apply for Government funding? I mean, why were Casement, Windsor & Ravenhill able to get funding years ahead of us? Honest question, I am just bemused why we had to wait so long when Belfast seem to have copped on a decade ago that there was a way to get major redevelopment paid for by the tax payer.
Because non of those are "sub regional" stadium.

Half the problem is that Eddie Mahon has been allowed to spout guff about this by the Journal and not taken out by the roots by the club on this. The club should have comprehensively put his points to bed years ago. This "misinformation" doesn't help.
Of those 3 mentioned,only 1 cannot be considered as sub regional,Ravenhill. the only rugby ground I know of in the north.
Forget the political spin. Linfield got a new stadium. Casement is only one of a number of GAA grounds in the north. Glentoran have £10m parked for their new stadium. see the pattern here yet? Belfast. the centre of everything. DC are happy to pick up whatever crumbs fall from the table.Now we're left scratching around looking for somewhere to play and as Eddie said,just like '72. Eddie Mahon writes the uncomfortable truth. some people obviously don't want to read/hear this. esp. some on here.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

forza wrote:We'll get nary a ha'penny from Sin Fein- G.A.A.
Can someone explain this ulster scots fake language? :lol:

forza
Reserves
Reserves

Post by forza »

cousin kev wrote:
Translation we'll get nothing from our representatives in the maiden city. No laughing matter son

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

forza wrote:
cousin kev wrote:
Translation we'll get nothing from our representatives in the maiden city. No laughing matter son
True Forza. next election. don't you vote for the DUP again,( something was lost in your translation.the DUP are running the show you failed to mention that) same way our elected reps are now on notice. deal?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

The work has finally started! :D

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

brandyball wrote:The work has finally started! :D
Any pics, we always said we wouldn't believe it until we saw diggers on site lol

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

Martin McGuinness saying there that Phase 2 funding is "100% guaranteed". Announcement to come in the new year.
Maybe that means they could do the whole stand in one go, if it's quick enough?

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

Only 100% cause they have been shamed into it, still wudnt trust it but, they probly accept the fundin application in feb an then dont give the fundin till 2025

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

brendy_éire wrote:Martin McGuinness saying there that Phase 2 funding is "100% guaranteed". Announcement to come in the new year.
I'd assume not, as you have to tender for each project etc.

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

brendy_éire wrote:Martin McGuinness saying there that Phase 2 funding is "100% guaranteed". Announcement to come in the new year.
He's lying... His lips are moving... sf election bullshit last year told us they had successfully got us a new stadium

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

He's lying... His lips are moving... sf election bullshit last year told us they had successfully got us a new stadium
http://www.derrysinnfein.ie/tender-for- ... o-proceed/

And I'm sure the same could be said of other parties as well.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

MariborKev wrote:I'd assume not, as you have to tender for each project etc.
Supposing funding is available from March, tender is completed by April, it's not unfeasible that construction could be completed by the start of the 2018 season.
Widely optimistic, I know.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

brendy_éire wrote: Announcement to come in the new year.
Aye but which new year ?