Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by cousin kev »

deetee55 wrote:John Kelpie, Town Clerk DCSDC, confirmed on Radio Foyle this morning that the current £6.3m project is for the dog-track, the new 3g pitch and Phase 1 of the new stand. He stated that this was always the case and that Phase 2 of the stand is to be added later.

If this was always the proposal then what are we protesting about? The Council, the councillors, the club and anyone who examined the plans should have been aware of this. Why the uproar now? The time to protest was when this proposal was put forward and approved. It's too late now.

Bollocks! Everyone was misled by this until yesterday by the club and the council.
If this is the way we're going to be treated esp.by the club then I'm out.

If it wasn't for the fans Orlaith Meenan wouldn't even be in a job! The Bored are a joke.
Pay your money.sit down buy a programme. buy a half time draw ticket. shut up!
Time the Bored were made to listen to the fans again.
we're a laughing stock in our own city. :oops: and Kelpie :twisted: a snake!

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

adydcfc wrote:Barry Davey has created event on facebook. Plan to meet for 3.45 and the protest will take place outside as far as I'm aware.
Rally what? 50/100 people standing outside. Good luck with that lads.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

deetee55 wrote:John Kelpie, Town Clerk DCSDC, confirmed on Radio Foyle this morning that the current £6.3m project is for the dog-track, the new 3g pitch and Phase 1 of the new stand. He stated that this was always the case and that Phase 2 of the stand is to be added later.

If this was always the proposal then what are we
protesting about? The Council, the councillors, the club and anyone who examined the plans should have been aware of this. Why the uproar now? The time to protest was when this proposal was put forward and approved. It's too late now.

Do we just sit back and accept this then? For too long we've put up with 2nd 3rd world facilties then we finally get approval for a new stand its half the size! Not good enough

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

MariborKev wrote:
adydcfc wrote:Barry Davey has created event on facebook. Plan to meet for 3.45 and the protest will take place outside as far as I'm aware.
Rally what? 50/100 people standing outside. Good luck with that lads.
Well sure at least its something! What are you doing?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

The Council will no doubt say that this has been the plan all along. However, I think there is an unfairness in that so many different parties over the years (club, club officials, media, politicans, political parties, councillors) have perhaps misleadingly suggested otherwise, which has never to my mind been corrected by anyone, least of all the Council themselves.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

Council was very clear from the onset and throughout the design stages and ongoing consultation process with Derry City FC and all the stakeholders that the contract is for Phase 1 only of the project, which will include a new 1,100 seater stand, that will bring the existing seated capacity to approx 3500, a new pitch, new dog track and substantial improvement works across the stadium and perimeter walls. Phase II of the proposed works for the development of Stand is subject to funding and Council will be making applications to the Stadium Development Fund provided by the NI Executive, when it opens shortly. If successful it will will lead to the second phase of the stand project and a further contract to build the remainder of the stand, increasing the seating capacity to a total of approx 4700.

There you have it lads. straight from the councils fb page.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

cousin kev wrote:Council was very clear from the onset
They really weren't.
I'd heard that the project was in phases, but had foolishly assumed that funding was in place to complete the lot, with a gradual construction of the stand to be finished within a short enough period.

Now, maybe I'm being overly cynical, but come the next application to the Stadium Development Fund, won't the answer be something like "sure you've got your new stand already, what more do want?".

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

brendy_éire wrote:
They really weren't.
I'd heard that the project was in phases, but had foolishly assumed that funding was in place to complete the lot, with a gradual construction of the stand to be finished within a short enough period.

Now, maybe I'm being overly cynical, but come the next application to the Stadium Development Fund, won't the answer be something like "sure you've got your new stand already, what more do want?".[/quote

I was think along these lines aswel.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

brendy_éire wrote:
They really weren't.

Now, maybe I'm being overly cynical, but come the next application to the Stadium Development Fund, won't the answer be something like "sure you've got your new stand already, what more do want?".
There is no way we will get money from that stadium fund over belfast clubs, glentoran are looking a new ground and both crusaders and cliftonville are looking for new main stands so without any decent political representation from the clowns meant to push for us at stormont we can forget about it.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Will "phase 1" when complete have enough seats for certain European games?

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

rodgers wrote:Will "phase 1" when complete have enough seats for certain European games?
Only europa league qualifing rounds 1 and 2, from qualifing round 3 onwords you need a category 3 stadium which to get requires a minimum of 4,500 seats. So with this half a stand our seated capacity for euro games will be no more than it was when we had the glentoran stand and uncovered seats on the old jungle. But its not all bad we might have a posh vip area in the half a stand for all the sinn fein and sdlp politicians who only appear for european games to sip their wine and eat their prawn sandwiches in.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

adydcfc wrote:
brendy_éire wrote:
They really weren't.

Now, maybe I'm being overly cynical, but come the next application to the Stadium Development Fund, won't the answer be something like "sure you've got your new stand already, what more do want?".[/quote
I was think along these lines aswel.
The rest of the stand!

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It was flagged up here a few times before that the club would only be getting a third of a new stand.

For me, the main target for any anger here should be the club. The Council have any number of competing interests all looking to them for money - including other groups involved with Brandywell. And whilst they are guilty of a gross lack of imagination over the city's stadium and leisure facilities in general, the bottom line is that without Derry City making the case for anything better it was never going to happen.

And whilst the Council have responsibility for a wide range of things, DCFC only have one responsibility - to work in the best interests of the club. I personally believe they've failed badly on that when it comes to the club's stadium future.

Dundalk have just sorted the lease on Oriel Park, and will no doubt be working to improve their stadium. Bohs and Shels are due to get a new 10,000 seater shared Tolka around 2020. Shamrock Rovers are seeing Tallaght increased to 8,000 seats. Cork and Sligo have decent stadiums already. Limerick will become a force in the League in a few years, and doubtless work on their stadium too. We're being left behind people. And our club has no-one to blame for that but themselves IMO.

It's hard enough at times being a Derry City supporter without the club leaving fans feeling like they do on here :cry:

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

All fair points Steve, but the council cant escape criticism here too. they gagged the club,no matter what POD says from going public on the final development....and it probably will be the final development of the place.
Everyone will be passing the buck and blaming each other on this in the coming days, from the council,the bored,stormont(we can forget about that place,no interest in serving Derry at all)

yef from the port

Post by yef from the port »

But what can the club do Steve really. The club has no money to put in the pot so we have to take what we can get unfortunately. I thought it was common knowledge that we're only get a bit part of a stand for now. Good luck and fair play to everyone that turns up on Thursday. I just hope some people from the council have the manners to turn up to hear your protests.

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Phase 2, IF funding, Phase 3, IF... We would have laughed at them from the outset if it was outlined like that.

From secured...

https://twitter.com/RaymondMcCartn1/sta ... 0254852096

Deal with fact...

https://twitter.com/RaymondMcCartn1/sta ... 8863430656

https://twitter.com/DerrySinnFein/statu ... 2952152064

Delivery gets things done....hmm more than elected Derry folk who get bits of things done from their big promises.

https://twitter.com/RaymondMcCartn1/sta ... 0232742912

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

£138m public funding allocated towards stadium upgrades in NI!..

Belfast
- £28m to Windsor Park, privately owned by Linfield FC - Completed!
- £64m for Casement Park, privately owned by Antrim GAA
- £10m being held aside for Glentorans new stadium or for the development of the Oval, the rest funded from the sale of part or all their current ground
- £14.5m for Ulster Rugby's Ravenhill Stadium, privately owned by IRFU - Completed

Derry
- Celtic Park ,privately owned by Derry GAA, to be further developed if Ireland host the 2023 rugby word cup, but only if Casement Park, Belfast, is not ready.
- £6m for Brandywell Stadium, council owned and in a very poor condition with health and safety issues. Phase one to begin this month, with a new 1000 seat stand, 2 changing rooms and space for portaloos! Plans also include a 4G pitch that noone wants, and that are being torn up all over Europe due to health concerns. Consultation could begin next year for 2nd phase of project, subject to planning and availability of funds. Main stand was built in 1991 with a capacity of 2500, currently restricted to 1800 for safety reasons.

Some of these stats might not be entirely accurate, but they're not very far off the mark!

fucking provision for portaloos!!!!! I'd rather piss under the stars.

Kellz

Post by Kellz »

And there you have it. The problem succinctly put. Say what you want about Belfast people but they obviously get shit done and with proper political representation to grease the wheels. Someone should tell Raymond that this is what "Delivery" looks like.

Six and a half million to end up with the same Bogs as Finn Park? Say it ain't so.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

cousin kev wrote:£138m public funding allocated towards stadium upgrades in NI!..

Belfast
- £28m to Windsor Park, privately owned by Linfield FC - Completed!
- £64m for Casement Park, privately owned by Antrim GAA
- £10m being held aside for Glentorans new stadium or for the development of the Oval, the rest funded from the sale of part or all their current ground
- £14.5m for Ulster Rugby's Ravenhill Stadium, privately owned by IRFU - Completed

Derry
- Celtic Park ,privately owned by Derry GAA, to be further developed if Ireland host the 2023 rugby word cup, but only if Casement Park, Belfast, is not ready.
- £6m for Brandywell Stadium, council owned and in a very poor condition with health and safety issues. Phase one to begin this month, with a new 1000 seat stand, 2 changing rooms and space for portaloos! Plans also include a 4G pitch that noone wants, and that are being torn up all over Europe due to health concerns. Consultation could begin next year for 2nd phase of project, subject to planning and availability of funds. Main stand was built in 1991 with a capacity of 2500, currently restricted to 1800 for safety reasons.

Some of these stats might not be entirely accurate, but they're not very far off the mark!

fucking provision for portaloos!!!!! I'd rather piss under the stars.
Are there no public toilets getting put into this stand ? And going by the size of the thing the changing rooms will probably be as small as the present ones, and what does mccartney mean by southend stand refurb a new boundary wall behind and and a lick of paint ? it just gets worse and worse fcuk mccartney sinn fein pure parasites.

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

Don't know what all the fuss is about iif we can get 3,600 fans at every home match we will doing well ,if we got a big new stand we would be lucky of it was half full anyway more concerned what will happen on the pitch new signings etc.PS I don't work for Derry Strabane council just a rate payer like everyone else.