Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:
stevebradley wrote:I can't see why the council would drop the astroturf aspect of the plan.

They want to hire the Brandywell pitch out as much as they can. And as it's their stadium they have every right to do so. Derry City pay them very little in rent, so have no grounds to demand a pitch that would reduce the council's income from the stadium in fairness.

If we want to choose the type of pitch we play on, we'll need to either pay more rent or make plans for our own stadium.
Geesis you talk some shite too hi...

It seems you are supporting the council with your post... And do you know how much rent the club pays the council on a yearly basis ?
The club are the highest paying tennants so why should they not have a bigger say than the D&D or the doggymen ? I bet you the D&D dont pay as much per annum for use of the stadium yet cry foul if DCFC have a fixture change that might interrupt one of their league games... yes they cry and can do nothing about it but its the crying part that annoys me... there is a dislike between those who operate within the D&D and DCFC itself... everyone knows it...

We dont have the money to make plans for our own stadium or havent you heard ??? :roll:
Come back to the discussion when you're prepared to be civil Greengo :D

And you the main moderator and supposed to be setting an example for us yumphla's ;)

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote:As you have said yourself Steve in relation to the location of any new stadium, the council need Derry City just as much as Derry City need the council, so the club do have some leverage as regards the nature of any redevelopment. It's not as if there are any other viable anchor tenants around.
This is the problem though Rogers. DCFC has made it clear that we won't be leaving the Brandywell. The Council does need Derry City FC, but knows they've got us in the palm of their hand. So any bargaining position the club might have had has been completely surrendered by telling the world that Brandywell is 'the only show in town'.

I think you're right on the community usage stuff re astro though. It's hard to access public money for sports facilities these days without having some sort of open door element to it. Artificial turf can be used endlessly, unlike grass - especially in an Irish winter. But whether it does get used as much as prior expectations is a good question.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

you're that far up the councils hole now because of the rugby bid all yee can see are the soles of yer feet...

We have battled with council officials and elected representatives for years about the state of the Brandywell for years upon years and now you want them to up the ante on the rent because we dont want to play on a plastic surface...

Deluded comes to mind...

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Greengo wrote:you're that far up the councils hole now because of the rugby bid all yee can see are the soles of yer feet...

We have battled with council officials and elected representatives for years about the state of the Brandywell for years upon years and now you want them to up the ante on the rent because we dont want to play on a plastic surface...

Deluded comes to mind...
Well said greengo there is no more deluded on here than steve bradley.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:you're that far up the councils hole now because of the rugby bid all yee can see are the soles of yer feet...

Deluded comes to mind...
Seriously Greengo - you need to take a look at yourself posting this nonsense mucker :roll:

Please try and keep it civil lad.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Oh handbags !

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

Steve you come on here with a very pompous attitude at times... you very rarely discuss matters about how Derry play, tactics, results, players etc yet you have loads to say about ground development or rugby world cup bids...

I for one couldnt give a shit about rugby or whether or not its played in the city or not or what revenue it will bring in etc...

I'll try and break this down for you Steven...

Landlord = DC Council
Accomodation = Brandywell
Tennants = DCFC, D&D, Doggymen

The accomodation isnt up to scratch and has been deteriorating for years... the major tennant, i.e. DCFC, arent happy and want it fixed... the other two, taking the typical derry attitude of not complaining when something is wrong, sit in the background and say nothing hoping that the bigger tennant gets it sorted... the bigger tennant wants the other two to move into better accomodation so they can expand and better the accomodation but the two smaller ones cry foul even though they are getting new premises...
The landlord in the meantime sits on their hands and does nothing but drip feeds drivel in the press and looks at ways of improving other accomodation around the city because he is a GAA fan...
the major tennant has loads of visitors who feel at home in the accomodation and think that the landlord should help improve it as well... the major tennant cant move because he doesnt have the money so thinks that with grants etc the accomodation could be improved and that his visitors would also be happy... but he cant improve without the landlords say so...

the visitors feel aggrieved by this and challenge the landlord over the years... but there is a sting in the tale.... one of the visitors lives outside of the jurisdiction even though hes from there but likes to keep an eye on things from afar and online...
he thinks the landlord is a decent spud because he recently supported him and supports the idea that if the major tennant wants improvement then his rent should go up...
some of the other visitors feel aggrieved by this and tell him in so many ways but like the landlord he fails to listen and does so time and time again...

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:Steve you come on here with a very pompous attitude at times... you very rarely discuss matters about how Derry play, tactics, results, players etc yet you have loads to say about ground development or rugby world cup bids...
There's a very simple answer on this Greengo. I see Derry play a handful of times a year at most. That's the life of an exile. So I'm in no position to comment on tactics etc for a team I don't get to see very often. If I did I'm sure you'd be the first to remind me that I don't get to see them enough to be able to judge :D
Greengo wrote: I for one couldnt give a shit about rugby or whether or not its played in the city or not or what revenue it will bring in etc...
Fair enough - that's your call. No-one's forcing it down your throat. But you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about it all, as shown by the fact you've just brought it up out of the blue.

Though as an aside. One of the unintended benefits of Ireland hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup is that it would be another nail in the GAA's ridiculous ban on hosting 'foreign sports'. And a refurbished Celtic Park would be a great potential venue if Derry City were ever in Europe again and drew a team that the Brandywell couldn't or wasn't allowed to deal with. So there's a degree of self-interest in City fans wanting to see Celtic Park developed IMO. I believe it's only a matter of time before 'the ban' is dropped.
Greengo wrote:I'll try and break this down for you Steven...

Landlord = DC Council

The accomodation isnt up to scratch and has been deteriorating for years... the major tennant, i.e. DCFC, arent happy and want it fixed... the other two, taking the typical derry attitude of not complaining when something is wrong, sit in the background and say nothing hoping that the bigger tennant gets it sorted... the bigger tennant wants the other two to move into better accomodation so they can expand and better the accomodation but the two smaller ones cry foul even though they are getting new premises...
The landlord in the meantime sits on their hands and does nothing but drip feeds drivel in the press and looks at ways of improving other accomodation around the city because he is a GAA fan...
the major tennant has loads of visitors who feel at home in the accomodation and think that the landlord should help improve it as well... the major tennant cant move because he doesnt have the money so thinks that with grants etc the accomodation could be improved and that his visitors would also be happy... but he cant improve without the landlords say so...

the visitors feel aggrieved by this and challenge the landlord over the years... but there is a sting in the tale.... one of the visitors lives outside of the jurisdiction even though hes from there but likes to keep an eye on things from afar and online...
he thinks the landlord is a decent spud because he recently supported him and supports the idea that if the major tennant wants improvement then his rent should go up...
some of the other visitors feel aggrieved by this and tell him in so many ways but like the landlord he fails to listen and does so time and time again...
I know the above Greengo, and you know I do. So just so we're all clear on this :

1) I don't think the Council is a good spud. I think it's pretty poor as a council - even though it backed the Derry For 2023 campaign (and by all accounts has done a decent job at making the city's case to the IRFU etc since). My views aren't that easily bought I'm afraid. You're adding 1 and 1 together here and coming up with 2,023.

2) I haven't said the council should increase the rent on Derry City. What I did point out is that DCFC are not in a position to call the shots on the Brandywell. That's not just my opinion - it's the only sensible conclusion you can draw from what we've all seen happening over the last decade plus. What's the only way that would change ? God knows. But I flippantly said that if we wanted to have more of a say we might have to pay more rent. I don't want that to happen. I don't even know if it would make any difference. It was just a throw-away comment about how powerless we currently are and have been for years. I think you've read and interpreted what you wanted to see here, rather than what was said or intended. Apologies if what I wrote gave you the wrong impression.

It's clear that I'm not top of your Christmas card list Greengo, which is fair enough and not something either of us will lose any sleep over. We can still debate and even disagree on issues without having to hurl insults and swing handbags at each other.

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

Greengo wrote:
I'll try and break this down for you Steven...

Landlord = DC Council
You left out the ratepayers, Greengo.

Chalkie

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

I know that Derry City & Strabane District Council are putting up most of the money for the Brandywell redevelopment but we're letting DCAL off much too lightly on here.

They are never mentioned, Caral Ni Chuilin is never mentioned, and Sinn Féin who used Brandy well stadium in their election flyers are never mentioned.

Those three should be questioned at least as much as DC&SDC and I really don't think we can question DCFC aboutbthis at all as they will have no say in how things are done or when they will be done.

I am laying the blame entirely at the door of Caral Ni Chuilin who gave millions to Ravenhill and Windsor and has ringfenced money for Casement whose development she is shoving down the throats of the residents of west Belfast. They don't want Casement redeveloped, we do want Vrandywell redeveloped yet she has proven to be our biggest hindrance.

Chalkie

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

I dont think caral cunty balls has anything to do with DCAL anymore.

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

shauna wrote:I dont think caral cunty balls has anything to do with DCAL anymore.
Maybe not now but for the entire period of this Brandywell redevelopment saga, she was calling the shots.

Chalkie

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

The Sport portfolio is now in the hands of a DUP Minister - Paul Givan MLA.

Earlier this month he announced extra funding for boxing clubs in predominantly protestant/loyalist areas (Shankill, Tigers Bay, Newtonards Rd and Carrickfergus). You may recall last year that some clubs complained about discrimination and not receiving enough funding from the Dublin-based IABA - threatening to break away and form an NI-only boxing association. It's just a small example, but is probably telling on where a DUP Sports Minister's priorities will lie.

I'm therefore not convinced we'd get much out of Givan. It depends what was agreed and ring-fenced before the change of posts at May's election.

dcfc_jp_1989
First Team
First Team

Post by dcfc_jp_1989 »

Chalkie wrote:I know that Derry City & Strabane District Council are putting up most of the money for the Brandywell redevelopment but we're letting DCAL off much too lightly on here.

They are never mentioned, Caral Ni Chuilin is never mentioned, and Sinn Féin who used Brandy well stadium in their election flyers are never mentioned.

Those three should be questioned at least as much as DC&SDC and I really don't think we can question DCFC aboutbthis at all as they will have no say in how things are done or when they will be done.

I am laying the blame entirely at the door of Caral Ni Chuilin who gave millions to Ravenhill and Windsor and has ringfenced money for Casement whose development she is shoving down the throats of the residents of west Belfast. They don't want Casement redeveloped, we do want Vrandywell redeveloped yet she has proven to be our biggest hindrance.

Chalkie
Amen to that.

This is something I pointed out many many times on social media, even challenged one SF electorate & didn't even get a reply which in a way tells me everything I needed to know

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

Is it true that environment impact assessment hasn't been done yet? Is it required? If it is required then that would be the councils responsibility not DCAL. There would be a possibility of some unforeseen issue delaying the process, mind you this would maybe suit some factions in council if scheme never progressed. Shades of A5/A6

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

Listened to the podcast with Orlaith Meenan,and she claimed that club (to paraphrase) aren't too concerned with redevelopment as a means of generating income which is a bit of a contradiction with the position of POD. and DC CHAT negativity around the issue. OFF to a flyer our Orlaith. :roll:
endearing herself already.

keenan85

Post by keenan85 »

cousin kev wrote:Listened to the podcast with Orlaith Meenan,and she claimed that club (to paraphrase) aren't too concerned with redevelopment as a means of generating income which is a bit of a contradiction with the position of POD. and DC CHAT negativity around the issue. OFF to a flyer our Orlaith. :roll:
endearing herself already.
I would assume what Orlaith means is that she wants to improve income streams from areas that she can control i.e. merchandising. The stadium redevelopment is a shambles but there is little she can do about it, POD and his only show in town comments have left us with no alternative plans and at the mercy of incompetent politicians.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

The doggie men may have no track if political correctness and animal cruelty in the greyhound business, which is turning countries like Australia against the sport, will cause the council to follow suit.

Dazzy

Post by Dazzy »

campsie

Post by campsie »

micdaflic wrote:Is it true that environment impact assessment hasn't been done yet? Is it required? If it is required then that would be the councils responsibility not DCAL. There would be a possibility of some unforeseen issue delaying the process, mind you this would maybe suit some factions in council if scheme never progressed. Shades of A5/A6
There would be no need for anything like that at this stage as planning permission has been granted.