Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by micdaflic »

Charlie, yes I can see your reservations on placing the stadium on the riverfront. But it doesn't have to be unsightly, Also we need a multipurpose arena for other uses and away from residential areas where there will always be issues about parking,noise,agro,access etc. Fort George is neutral territory and could be used eg for concerts to generate cash towards running costs

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

micdaflic wrote:Charlie, yes I can see your reservations on placing the stadium on the riverfront. But it doesn't have to be unsightly, Also we need a multipurpose arena for other uses and away from residential areas where there will always be issues about parking,noise,agro,access etc. Fort George is neutral territory and could be used eg for concerts to generate cash towards running costs
100% corrrect. May never happen but a move to Fort George is starting to "gain legs". Not too late, elections coming up soon and work hasn't started in the Brandywell yet (if it ever does). A wee poll anyone?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

micdaflic wrote:Charlie, yes I can see your reservations on placing the stadium on the riverfront. But it doesn't have to be unsightly, Also we need a multipurpose arena for other uses and away from residential areas where there will always be issues about parking,noise,agro,access etc. Fort George is neutral territory and could be used eg for concerts to generate cash towards running costs
It would be hard to have a stadium that didn't look unsightly without spending big money just to make it look pretty.

The bigger issue is that it would block the view of the river, and no amount of prettying would get round that.

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

stevebradley wrote:
It would be hard to have a stadium that didn't look unsightly without spending big money just to make it look pretty.

The bigger issue is that it would block the view of the river, and no amount of prettying would get round that.
i'm not sure that it would block the view of the river in any significant way, you can't see the foyle from that general area anyhow - bar some of the residents in some of the lower culmore road area. the 'quay trail'pathway along the river could be retained/upgraded to run along the river bank behind any new development. in any case, the planners would deal with that issue. ft george would be a very accessible location and would draw a significant number of punters from that side of town as well as from the main arterial routes leading to it.
i think a clean break from the council owned ground and all the baggage attached to that (location/accessibility, council indifference/inability to do anything useful, scrote bag behaviour after matches etc), would be the best move in generations for the club. maybe a tough pill (understandably) to swallow for the sentimentals amongst the fan base but the club will never reach even a fraction of its potential in the brandywell -- or any other council owned facility.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

fish-head wrote: i'm not sure that it would block the view of the river in any significant way, you can't see the foyle from that general area anyhow - bar some of the residents in some of the lower culmore road area. the 'quay trail'pathway along the river could be retained/upgraded to run along the river bank behind any new development. in any case, the planners would deal with that issue. ft george would be a very accessible location and would draw a significant number of punters from that side of town as well as from the main arterial routes leading to it.
i think a clean break from the council owned ground and all the baggage attached to that (location/accessibility, council indifference/inability to do anything useful, scrote bag behaviour after matches etc), would be the best move in generations for the club. maybe a tough pill (understandably) to swallow for the sentimentals amongst the fan base but the club will never reach even a fraction of its potential in the brandywell -- or any other council owned facility.
Thats a fair enough point on potential of the club.

However where on earth would the land and money cme from?

supremo

Post by supremo »

No I am not eddie.
I actually like riverside developments especially if they look modern and dynamic. Don't forget the fancy plans for the site were similar to the building built recently but even more modern. So I think the river profile must fit in with the needs of its people and reflect the relative modernism seen in the peace bridge and the Foyle bridge. Don't forget we still have the beautiful backdrop of the Donegal hills.
Our city needs attractions/facilities that not only say that - yes we have loads of history but also we can facilitate the needs of leisure and education to the same level expected in any city. In my opinion it would enhance our city' chances of ever attracting new businesses to our city rather than be a backwater to Belfast and Dublin. Often architecture can reflect a forward thinking and positive mindset that can often be seen in modern Spanish architecture.
So to those who say leave things as they are, I say no lets try new things as the old things have brought little to Derry.
Btw - I still want a grass pitch.

petermccarron

Post by petermccarron »

stevebradley wrote:

Of all the arguments that can be put for or against a municipal stadium at Fort George, blocking the view certainly isn't one of them. Firstly, no matter what goes there the view will be affected. I don't think anyone is saying the site should be left vacant.

Secondly, I'm sure it is not beyond the ability of a good architect to ensure a sympathetic design. If nothing else,a row of restaurants, cafes, retail units etc could be designed into the side along the river. If the pitch was orientated with a goal end by the river, the length of river front affected would be minimised. It is also likely that the probable size of stadium would be lower than any office blocks put on the site (a 35,000+ seater stadium would be nice, but that really is a pipe dream).

With a bit of imagination the occasional large scale concert type event would make a dent in any cost incurred to build it.
The Council should set a specification for a municipal stadium, organise a design competition for architects specifying Fort George as the location and see what comes in.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

petermccarron wrote:
stevebradley wrote:

Of all the arguments that can be put for or against a municipal stadium at Fort George, blocking the view certainly isn't one of them. Firstly, no matter what goes there the view will be affected. I don't think anyone is saying the site should be left vacant.

Secondly, I'm sure it is not beyond the ability of a good architect to ensure a sympathetic design. If nothing else,a row of restaurants, cafes, retail units etc could be designed into the side along the river. If the pitch was orientated with a goal end by the river, the length of river front affected would be minimised. It is also likely that the probable size of stadium would be lower than any office blocks put on the site (a 35,000+ seater stadium would be nice, but that really is a pipe dream).

With a bit of imagination the occasional large scale concert type event would make a dent in any cost incurred to build it.
The Council should set a specification for a municipal stadium, organise a design competition for architects specifying Fort George as the location and see what comes in.
You had to go and ruin a perfectly good post by including the clowncil in it.

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

gary wrote:
fish-head wrote: i'm not sure that it would block the view of the river in any significant way, you can't see the foyle from that general area anyhow - bar some of the residents in some of the lower culmore road area. the 'quay trail'pathway along the river could be retained/upgraded to run along the river bank behind any new development. in any case, the planners would deal with that issue. ft george would be a very accessible location and would draw a significant number of punters from that side of town as well as from the main arterial routes leading to it.
Thats a fair enough point on potential of the club.

However where on earth would the land and money cme from?
the land would be on the bit of the earth called ft george which we are talking about, the money would presumably come from business people investing along with some kind of public sector grants or funding.
in any case, it's only a discussion on here and i'm also all for the development on the site which was approved last year which will hopefully bring jobs and make the site into something worthwhile, though i'm sceptical about the committment to see this through.

ps those worried about the visual impact of a stadium on the water front, have you seen the 3d model of the proposal approved by the planners for the ft george site?

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

We wouldn't be the first city in the world to have a stadium along the river.

Having said that, there will never be a stadium at FG, we may get over that idea. Not happening.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

The Club have made it very clear that they can't see beyond the Brandywell. And without them playing a lead role, the prospect of a stadium anywhere else is a complete none-starter even if it could be made to work.

The lack of genuine ambition and vision in DCFC is heart breaking, and will hold the club back for generations :(

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Any updates on the brandywell have the tenders been sort put yet and a contractor appointed

haymaker89

Post by haymaker89 »

shauna wrote:Any updates on the brandywell have the tenders been sort put yet and a contractor appointed
If proof was needed that no 4g pitch should b used in the new brandywell.. It's tonight's match in Dundalk can't even string an pass or control the ball on it. Fucking shocking football

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

difference being is that dundalk pitch is well past its used by date, i dont like 4g pitches either but crues in seaviews pitch is 10 times that dundalk pitch

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I think it was clear that the pitch hindered the quality of the game tonight.

That stuff is grand for messing around with your mates, but real football shouldn't be played on it.

For artificial turf, the ball seemed to be bobbling a lot on it.

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

Synthetic pitches are absolutely awful and the matches played on them are as artificial as the surface itself. And the thing is, Derry's plastic pitch is going to be 3G not even 4G. Stop this madness before it happens. Only thing is, work on the stadium is due to start after the election so, will the work start this season or not? I remain unconvinced. Has our end of season fixtures at another venue been confirmed yet? If anyone knows the answer to this let us all know.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

davy_g wrote:Synthetic pitches are absolutely awful and the matches played on them are as artificial as the surface itself. And the thing is, Derry's plastic pitch is going to be 3G not even 4G. Stop this madness before it happens. Only thing is, work on the stadium is due to start after the election so, will the work start this season or not? I remain unconvinced. Has our end of season fixtures at another venue been confirmed yet? If anyone knows the answer to this let us all know.
Ask pod at the meeting next tuesday night

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

shauna wrote:
davy_g wrote:Synthetic pitches are absolutely awful and the matches played on them are as artificial as the surface itself. And the thing is, Derry's plastic pitch is going to be 3G not even 4G. Stop this madness before it happens. Only thing is, work on the stadium is due to start after the election so, will the work start this season or not? I remain unconvinced. Has our end of season fixtures at another venue been confirmed yet? If anyone knows the answer to this let us all know.
Unfortunately Shauna can't make it but would really love to know the answer. anybody want to take up the baton?

magspat
Manager
Manager

Post by magspat »

davy_g wrote:
shauna wrote:
Unfortunately Shauna can't make it but would really love to know the answer. anybody want to take up the baton?
Some foreign millionaire is setting up businesses in Derry he is buying fort George and building a football stadium and renting it to Dcfc; His name is Loof Lirpa 100% true.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Aye good april fool