Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Dee75

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Dee75 »

Why? There will still be 16 home games

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

Dee75 wrote:Why? There will still be 16 home games
That will depend on where the club are calling "Home".

If the FAI agree to allow us to move the home and away games around it probably
wont have a huge effect (depending on long it takes to sort out).

If we have to move the games somewhere else, you can guarantee a big drop,
no matter where the games are played.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

gary wrote:
Dee75 wrote:Why? There will still be 16 home games
That will depend on where the club are calling "Home".

If the FAI agree to allow us to move the home and away games around it probably
wont have a huge effect (depending on long it takes to sort out).

If we have to move the games somewhere else, you can guarantee a big drop,
no matter where the games are played.
The fai are vermin they wont help us with our fixture problems guaranteed

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

shauna wrote: The fai are vermin they wont help us with our fixture problems guaranteed
What a load of crap,

They are far from perfect, but if you want to talk about vermin look closer to home to the IFA.
We wouldnt have a club more if it wasnt for the FAI (and that on a number of occasions).

I would say the FAI wont care much either way),
it will be much more difficult to talk the other clubs around,
thats a minimum of 6 clubs needing to AGREE to change home fixtures
in the run in.

Sligo
Bohs
Rovers
Galway
Cork
St Pats

Thats all 3 of the teams hoping to go for the title (Rovers, St Pats, Cork).
Bohs and Sligo might fancy a chance at Europe this season with improved
And Galway are certain to be battling relegation.

Plus a few of those clubs will be in Europe over the summer, so will end up moving a lot
of series two games to midweek latter in the season.

There are a few clubs in that list have always been very friendly to Derry
so you never know. But if they take the best interests of their own club into it,
no way will they agree to change.

NigellinaBallerina

Post by NigellinaBallerina »

shauna wrote:
Really rich that a Derry fan would call the FAI vermin despite all the association have done for Derry over the years.

I'm glad someone had sense though to suggest there'd be no Derry without the FAI as it is so very true.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Given that no LOI games are played in December, January or February of each year, would it not make more sense to delay the beginning of the 3G pitch so that it ends in February 2017 rather than December 2016? This would minimise disruption to the 2016 season for Derry's finances and for other clubs and the FAI.

Although you probably want to be working in the summer months as much as possible.

Assuming of course the works will be delivered on time and within budget.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

pmac wrote:The people in the rest of the UK are treated like shite by their politicians never mind here.
At least they vote politicians out and you sometimes get surprise results.

The results by constituency for the next few general elections in NI could be predicted with a high degree of certainty. Much higher than anywhere else in the UK.

As long as people treat every election as a border poll or a sectarian headcount, they are effectively foregoing their right to complain when it doesn't work for them. If you want better politicians, then vote as if it matters.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

stevebradley wrote:
pmac wrote:The people in the rest of the UK are treated like shite by their politicians never mind here.
At least they vote politicians out and you sometimes get surprise results.

The results by constituency for the next few general elections in NI could be predicted with a high degree of certainty. Much higher than anywhere else in the UK.

As long as people treat every election as a border poll or a sectarian headcount, they are effectively foregoing their right to complain when it doesn't work for them. If you want better politicians, then vote as if it matters.
You can only vote for those who are standing.

But don't tell us the UK is a bastion of democracy. First past the post wins. An outdated election contest that is way behind more modern countries.

But staying with the subject on hand, Who would you vote for here that would change anything.?

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

NigellinaBallerina wrote:
shauna wrote:
Really rich that a Derry fan would call the FAI vermin despite all the association have done for Derry over the years.

I'm glad someone had sense though to suggest there'd be no Derry without the FAI as it is so very true.
I think a lot of league of ireland fans would agree with me, the way they run the league and treat its clubs is a shambles there only interest is the national team and thats before the name delaney is even mentioned.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

Is Maginn Park our preferred option? Surely Riverside makes by far and away the most sense?
Whilst the craic would be good down in Buncrana, there's a lack of seating, which you'd imagine the licensing committee wouldn't be happy with.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

brendy_éire wrote:Is Maginn Park our preferred option? Surely Riverside makes by far and away the most sense?
Whilst the craic would be good down in Buncrana, there's a lack of seating, which you'd imagine the licensing committee wouldn't be happy with.
I would have thought Maginn Park has to be the preferred option from a security perspective.
I would love to be wrong, but will locals react to bus loads of Rovers, Sligo, Bohs fans in Drumahoe.
The last couple of times we played Linfield the ONLY place there was touble was out around Drumahoe.

(Obviously this all depends on how many if any clubs agree to flip fixtures).

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

gary wrote:
brendy_éire wrote:Is Maginn Park our preferred option? Surely Riverside makes by far and away the most sense?
I would have thought Maginn Park has to be the preferred option from a security perspective.
I would love to be wrong, but will locals react to bus loads of Rovers, Sligo, Bohs fans in Drumahoe.
The last couple of times we played Linfield the ONLY place there was touble was out around Drumahoe.

(Obviously this all depends on how many if any clubs agree to flip fixtures).
Especially during the summer marching season i could see loads of security headaches if we played at the riverside.

Aaron C

Post by Aaron C »

I still dont understand why we're not approaching the GAA for Celtic Park?

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

Aaron C wrote:I still dont understand why we're not approaching the GAA for Celtic Park?
I presume we have and the answer was no.

Regarding security for Riverside, I don't see it being an issue.
If it came to it, the cops would make people park in the car park on the town side, then send people back up toward Altnagelvin afterwards. Certainly easier to police than the Brandywell.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Aaron C wrote:I still dont understand why we're not approaching the GAA for Celtic Park?
Sure this has been debated on here before, the gaa wont allow soccer on any of their pitches the only exception they made was to allow the use of croke park while landsdowne road was getting redeveloped and after that their stance returned to the status quo of no soccer on any of our pitches under the "no foreign sports rule"

dcfcpg

Post by dcfcpg »

Sure the same proviso should be given again........redevelopment of Brandywell, and if they dont allow us to use Celtic Park, I think that its a nonsense. Everyone is being asked to move forward in this country....are the GAA with a few others not going to. !!!!!! It will be very neighbourly by them if they dont allow us to play our last few games there!!!!

keenan85

Post by keenan85 »

GAA will never grant DCFC the use of Celtic Park, more chance of a stadium being built at Fort George, so lets forget about.

Personally think we'll end up at Maginn Park, can see the security issues preventing a move to Drumahoe.
brendy_éire wrote:Whilst the craic would be good down in Buncrana, there's a lack of seating, which you'd imagine the licensing committee wouldn't be happy with.
What message would it be sending out to clubs/supports/general public if the licensing committee rejected our PD license because we had to move temporarily while our stadium was being renovated? PR nightmare for the league and FAI, especially when they want more teams to upgrade their stadiums.
Last edited by keenan85 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Talking to a few older supporters today. They are concerned. They would make up the large percentage of season ticket holders and would like the riverside if it was an option. No seating and travel concerns to other possible grounds.

irish_goat

Post by irish_goat »

shauna wrote:Sure this has been debated on here before, the gaa wont allow soccer on any of their pitches the only exception they made was to allow the use of croke park while landsdowne road was getting redeveloped and after that their stance returned to the status quo of no soccer on any of our pitches under the "no foreign sports rule"
Derry GAA voted against opening up Croke Park too.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

keenan85 wrote:GAA will never grant DCFC the use of Celtic Park, more chance of a stadium being built at Fort George, so lets forget about.

Personally think we'll end up at Maginn Park, can see the security issues preventing a move to Drumahoe.
brendy_éire wrote:Whilst the craic would be good down in Buncrana, there's a lack of seating, which you'd imagine the licensing committee wouldn't be happy with.
What message would it be sending out to clubs/supports/general public if the licensing committee rejected our PD license because we had to move temporarily while our stadium was being renovated? PR nightmare for the league and FAI, especially when they want more teams to upgrade their stadiums.
There have been a number of licenses passed in the very recent past on the basis of grounds
"might" be getting developed, so the fact that ours is 100%, probably gives us a good chance.