Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by davy_g »

Gerrymc
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Gerrymc »

A hitch in the plans!!! Surely not :D I think I saw the Planning Application nailed to the Temple :D :D

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

A hitch to slow the development of the new stadium?

Never. :roll:

As I said earlier, I won't be the least bit surprised to see no work starting on 28th May, no matter what POD promised.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

The Brandywell should go the same way as The Temple.

keenan85

Post by keenan85 »

The cynic in me thinks an announcement about a delay in the development won't be made until after the election.

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

keenan85 wrote:The cynic in me thinks an announcement about a delay in the development won't be made until after the election.

Nothing cynical about blind honest truth!!! But hey ho are you surprised?? :roll: :roll:

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It's the only show in town folks !

Apparently.

Though only because no-one at the club seems interested in pushing for anything better.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Just throwing another idea out there for the stadium........

Would it be feasible to set up a semi-permanent modular stadium and pitch over at Ebrington Square and have our 'base' over there?

Obviously costs would need to be looked at, but it would certainly be cheaper than building something permanent from scratch somewhere else.

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

KEVK wrote:Just throwing another idea out there for the stadium........

Would it be feasible to set up a semi-permanent modular stadium and pitch over at Ebrington Square and have our 'base' over there?

Obviously costs would need to be looked at, but it would certainly be cheaper than building something permanent from scratch somewhere else.
Would be cheaper to build 2 stands at Swilly stadium and neither of these ideas will happen, We are stuck with the shithole

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

The stadium debacle is symptomatic of the general decline of the club over recent years.

Morto

Post by Morto »

Maybe they seen the attendance at last nights match and thought "it just ain't feasible".

Seriously though, where is the incentive to pump millions into redevelopment when you're talking about benefiting mere hundreds of people?

We're an absolute shambles to be quite honest. Top to bottom. On the field and off the field. The club as a whole lacks true leadership - a person to grab the entire entity by the fucking neck and pull it up to where it should be.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Morto wrote:Maybe they seen the attendance at last nights match and thought "it just ain't feasible".

Seriously though, where is the incentive to pump millions into redevelopment when you're talking about benefiting mere hundreds of people?

We're an absolute shambles to be quite honest. Top to bottom. On the field and off the field. The club as a whole lacks true leadership - a person to grab the entire entity by the fucking neck and pull it up to where it should be.
But sure look how much money was spent on institute's ground to benefit a few hundred

morgan

Post by morgan »

micdaflic wrote:
KEVK wrote:Just throwing another idea out there for the stadium........

Would be cheaper to build 2 stands at Swilly stadium and neither of these idsteas will happen, We are stuck with the shithole
listen lads what we have is good enough for the 2nd class team we have become forget about up grading/new stadium et al and concentrate on the football..............1st or second level :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Morto wrote:Maybe they seen the attendance at last nights match and thought "it just ain't feasible".

Think the stadium at the moment is part of the reason behind our attendances as it has created a huge sense of apathy.

There is a huge dormant support out there that needs tapping into - build it and they will come (except for the Brandywell :) )

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

KEVK wrote:

Think the stadium at the moment is part of the reason behind our attendances as it has created a huge sense of apathy.

There is a huge dormant support out there that needs tapping into - build it and they will come (except for the Brandywell :) )
There is massive potential for our club in Derry and surrounding areas.

There isn't a male of a certain age in the city who hasn't been to at least one Derry City match. Even those in my family with no interest in football have been.

But it's heartbreaking to see how helpless the club has become. It just seems stuck in a rut of mediocrity, with no understanding that it should do things differently and no people available in the city to help make that happen.

Derry City's biggest internal problem for me is a lack of ambition, as evidenced by the meek acceptance that our future can only lie at the Brandywell. I think our biggest external challenge is that the brightest, best and most energetic talent in our city continues to leave every year due to the lack of opportunity in the place. Derry basically develops smart people to go off and make everywhere else better places. It's depressing that there is nothing to keep more of those people at home, to help improve all aspects of life in the city - including our football club.

forza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by forza »

We don't need a new stadium. We aren't the worst stadium in Ireland and I am more than happy with our stadium.

But if we are to change it has to be outside the brandywell area. It's not a welcoming area for all

Davy

Post by Davy »

stevebradley wrote:
KEVK wrote:

There is massive potential for our club in Derry and surrounding areas.

There isn't a male of a certain age in the city who hasn't been to at least one Derry City match. Even those in my family with no interest in football have been.

But it's heartbreaking to see how helpless the club has become. It just seems stuck in a rut of mediocrity, with no understanding that it should do things differently and no people available in the city to help make that happen.

Derry City's biggest internal problem for me is a lack of ambition, as evidenced by the meek acceptance that our future can only lie at the Brandywell. I think our biggest external challenge is that the brightest, best and most energetic talent in our city continues to leave every year due to the lack of opportunity in the place. Derry basically develops smart people to go off and make everywhere else better places. It's depressing that there is nothing to keep more of those people at home, to help improve all aspects of life in the city - including our football club.
Of course there's nothing here, poor roads, poor rail link, no jobs, Magee ignored by those who hold the purse strings, and now we have austerity hoisted on us, in what is the highest unemployment area in the whole of the UK. Tell me what has your sister party the Alliance ever done for this city. According to the politicians we all here are work shy. We need to get on our bikes and look for work. ain't that right. Might be a good idea as a fella last year beat the train to Belfast from Derry, ON A BIKE.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

That stand at Windsor that collapsed might do us ? ! The old Oval one was grand sure - ship it down

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Redevelopment was meant to start this coming monday, whats the latest news will there be plant on site this monday or not ?

beezer_homes

Post by beezer_homes »

forza wrote:We don't need a new stadium. We aren't the worst stadium in Ireland and I am more than happy with our stadium.

But if we are to change it has to be outside the brandywell area. It's not a welcoming area for all
Are you on the board :lol:

If your happy with our stadium you must be happy pissing with not even a roof above your head, changing rooms where the walls are paper thin and 30 men have to share about 6 showers after a match.

The Lone Moor end where I stand is crumbling, PA is hard to hear. I know a lot of people who wont bring their kids to the matches as its quite frankly a shit hole.

To say ah well we're not the worst stadium in Ireland is showing lack of ambition and foresight.

Build it and they will come