Logo

Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Supporters Direct
 Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:28 pm 

Sorry for the double posting: want to make sure this gets picked up by someone!

I've been trying to get hold of someone from Derry City ST. I work for Supporters Direct over in London, but my work is focused on groups across the rest of Europe. I'm actually in the process of having discussions with Cork City FC, Galway United Supporters Trust and Drogheda Utd, and also trying to contact fans and supporters' trusts all over Ireland (those in the League of Ireland).

It's obvious the trust is currently moribund, but either way it'd be good to have a chat with a fan/fans from Derry to try to see if there's anything we can do to help. I'll keep popping back here to see if anyone's responded, and hope to speak to you soon.

I have also emailed the info@ email address, but it seems possible that won't be checked given that the organisation isn't operating atm.

BTW, more details on SD: www.supporters-direct.coop

Post subject: Re: Supporters Direct
 Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:41 pm 

I'd love to get the ST up and running. If you have any suggestions please feel free to post!

It's getting the people to help that has been the problem.

Thanks

Vinny

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

The only way I can see it coming to life is under the control of a benevolent dictator - the committee option doesn't seem to work.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 pm 

shantykelly wrote:
The only way I can see it coming to life is under the control of a benevolent dictator - the committee option doesn't seem to work.

I see your point, but there's no point having a benevolent dictator running a democratic, one member one vote co-operative, iyswim.

Maybe what's not helped is the fact that in terms of the game in the League of Ireland, we've not really done very much work over there, except some general support and advice to Cork, some chats with people at Sligo, though more recently I have started working more closely with Galway United Supporters Trust and I recently met Niamh O'Mahony from Cork City FC and have spoken with someone from Drogheda as well.

The reason for that has historically been that we didn't have the funding to do it. Fortunately that's now changed, and we do. I also think - as do the people I've met at those clubs - that the scope for our work in Ireland is significant.

We're not going to be able to run your organisation for you, of course, but the fact that through our pan-European work we can now actively support supporters' trusts and fan-owned clubs in the LOI could be of help. I hope!

What's the best thing to do - is there any one person I could talk to? As a longer-term thing, later in the year I want to get all the LOI trusts and groups of fans interested in the idea together, most probably in Dublin. It's been suggested to me that organising it around an international fixture might be a good idea. Thoughts? Let me know, and you can always PM me if you prefer.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

Kevin,

I'm London-based and active in football circles myself (at Conference level, and as a writer).

Any time you want to meet up to chat DCFC ST let me know. Though we have the fundamental problem of those most willing to get behind/organise it tending to not actually live in the City, and as you doubtless know it's not something that can be run from a distance.

Thanks,

Steve

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm 

Yeah - why don't you drop me an email: kevin DOT rye AT supporters-direct DOT coop

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust