Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Post subject: Still In The Paddock
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:39 am 
Manager
Manager

It would appear that, four years after the Derry City Supporters' Trust was fist discussed in earnest, it is in more-or-less the same state as it was then.

It's now just over 3 years since it was officially launched in The Millennium Forum and it hasn't gained any momentum or interest among the Derry City fans.

If a crisis as big as us being kicked out of the League and Wellvan Enterprises being wound-up didn't kick-start the interest in the Supporters' Trust, nothing will.

Chalkie

Post subject: Re: Still In The Paddock
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

Some work from the Glentoran Supporters Trust.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... um=twitter

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

Chalkie that isn't completely true. Myself and Brendy H on numerous occasions have discussed things we wanted to do through the Supporters Trust with people personally and in this subsection. Brendy H, for example, has been fund-raising for a provisions and much needed equipment to go to a school in Malawi where he will be teaching at the end of the month as part of his course. He had numerous ideas he wanted to implement and do it through the trust but when he suggested it, there was little to no feedback so he went it alone.

I on the other hand wanted to use the Supporters Trust to aid the Legends team and form a sub committee. In two other threads I have listed why it is a good idea and what my hopes were for it. I even took the time, along with Big Hugh, to speak to the Glen's Supporters trust last July in Dundonald to get their advice on setting it up. But obviously the Trust was reborn out of a crisis and as everyone knows when there is a crisis we are all quick to volunteer but when someone bails us out not everyone is that interested in getting involved.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 am 
Manager
Manager

one word.....apathy

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Big Hugh is right. The complete and utter apathy that we faced even as the club burned down around us last time was unbelieveable. Most people I spoke to at the time saw the ST as some sort of 'take over the club and save it' organisation.

This talk of DCFC being a community club is horseshit.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

shantykelly wrote:

Exactly the club in recent years has detached itself from the community and the distance between the club and the community (and even us as fans) seems to be growing steadily.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Dee it's not just that. As Chalkie has attempted to (albeit unsuccessfully) highlight on another thread is the large scale detachment that most people in Derry's own support base feel towads the clubs. The initial launch of the ST was treated as some sort of vehicle to save the club. When it became apparent to most that were initially interested that it could only be what the majority of members wanted it to be, and that people would have to take an active role, the initial curiousity wore off and the interest faded away save for the same people who time and again bang their head off the same brick wall. Derry fans want a community orientated club, they want more involvment from fans, they want blah blah blah as long as someone else takes up the reigns and does all the work. Leadership and initiative are alien words in Derry.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

TenaciousDee wrote:
Chalkie that isn't completely true. Myself and Brendy H on numerous occasions have discussed things we wanted to do through the Supporters Trust with people personally and in this subsection. Brendy H, for example, has been fund-raising for a provisions and much needed equipment to go to a school in Malawi where he will be teaching at the end of the month as part of his course. He had numerous ideas he wanted to implement and do it through the trust but when he suggested it, there was little to no feedback so he went it alone.

I on the other hand wanted to use the Supporters Trust to aid the Legends team and form a sub committee. In two other threads I have listed why it is a good idea and what my hopes were for it. I even took the time, along with Big Hugh, to speak to the Glen's Supporters trust last July in Dundonald to get their advice on setting it up. But obviously the Trust was reborn out of a crisis and as everyone knows when there is a crisis we are all quick to volunteer but when someone bails us out not everyone is that interested in getting involved.

TenaciousDee, this sounds like good, worthwhile stuff and both you and Brendy H have to be commended but you and Brendy H aren't the Supporters' Trust and it's only when the Supporters' Trust as a whole arranges, votes for, and organises these worthwhile things that the ST will gain strength.

The worst thing that the ST did was do nothing at the very beginning. A mural in it's first month or a football match between them and the Glens' ST to raise funds for Childern In Crossfire would have been a good way to kick-start things.

As it is, very few people wanted to be involved if it meant they had to do something so the ST ended-up with about 10 real members.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

john james wrote:
one word.....apathy

You're completely correct, john james.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

shantykelly wrote:

You're completely correct, shantykelly, and I don't think it ever was a community club. This was simply a bit of spin, a fancy term coined by a member of a previous Board.

Derry City hasn't been a big part of the community since 1989.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

shantykelly wrote:
When it became apparent to most that were initially interested ........ that people would have to take an active role ...... the interest faded away save for the same people who time and again bang their head off the same brick wall.

Correct, shantykelly. Once people heard that they would have to follow-through on their ideas, they largely didn't want to know.

That's the same for The Development Committee. Everyone ccan easily come on here and voice their opinions on what The Development Committee should do but all they actually have to do is sit down at the table, talk to The Development Committe, and take their idea through to fruition.

That, though, is too much work.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

shantykelly wrote:
Derry fans want a community orientated club, they want more involvment from fans, they want blah blah blah as long as someone else takes up the reigns and does all the work.

I couldn't have said it better, shantykelly. I call it Little Red Hen syndrome and I realised that this is how it is when I was on The Development Committee and The Programme Committee.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think a fair bit of the problem is that a lot of the people who would do this work, and a lot of people who post on here with idea's aren't based in Derry so it can be obviously difficult to get things up and running...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 am 
Manager
Manager

Ye see, that is the problem. The people who do this work should be the fans that live in Derry, there was a lot of interest at the start, but once people realised that initiative was required, they baulked at the idea

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:00 am 
Manager
Manager

SparkyCity wrote:
I think a fair bit of the problem is that a lot of the people who would do this work, and a lot of people who post on here with idea's aren't based in Derry so it can be obviously difficult to get things up and running...

You're right, SparkyCity, when the Supporters' Trust was first discussed, none of the people organising it lived in Derry. They were based in Dublin, Antrim, and Meath mostly.

Because of that, it was never going to work.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:28 am 

Correct Chalks,

But we still failed in getting off the ground.

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 am 
Manager
Manager

Autocratic Kev

It was a pity that, after all the legal work had been done and the Trust was formed, that absolutely no-one had any interest in driving it forward.

t would have required a small group of dedicated Trust operators to make it work but there just wan't the interest.

Chalkie

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

As far as I remember there were a number of members 4-5 who would have made a stab at the trust... problem was not one person was willing to take lead on the trust and there were quite a number of folks who had completely wrong ideas as to what the trust was for!

I personally wanted (and I could include myself in the wrong idea category!!) the trust to be a shadow club board with representation on the actual club board, building a sense of fan input to the club via the trust. This over time could have incorporated the development committee and other fund raising actions to purchase club shares, and include direct sponsorship and donation to the club.

Over time (5-10 years) the competence in the supporters trust could have grown to the extent whereby they could (on behalf of the membership) taken over the club owned by the fans for the fans.... remembering that the trust board can’t do much without the membership vote!

Most of this could have happened but the original desire/ goodwill is well gone... we even had an offer of a place on the board at one stage... no chance of getting this offer again!

No one’s fault at the end of the day, just a shame.. the time was right for it, but the will wasn’t!

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:26 pm 

I've been trying to get hold of someone from Derry City ST. I work for Supporters Direct over in London, but my work is focused on groups across the rest of Europe. I'm actually in the process of having discussions with Cork City FC, Galway United Supporters Trust and Drogheda Utd, and also trying to contact fans and supporters' trusts all over Ireland (those in the League of Ireland).

It's obvious the trust is currently moribund, but either way it'd be good to have a chat with a fan/fans from Derry to try to see if there's anything we can do to help. I'll keep popping back here to see if anyone's responded, and hope to speak to you soon.

I have also emailed the info@ email address, but it seems possible that won't be checked given that the organisation isn't operating atm.

BTW, more details on SD: www.supporters-direct.coop

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

kevinrye wrote:
I've been trying to get hold of someone from Derry City ST. I work for Supporters Direct over in London, but my work is focused on groups across the rest of Europe. I'm actually in the process of having discussions with Cork City FC, Galway United Supporters Trust and Drogheda Utd, and also trying to contact fans and supporters' trusts all over Ireland (those in the League of Ireland).

It's obvious the trust is currently moribund, but either way it'd be good to have a chat with a fan/fans from Derry to try to see if there's anything we can do to help. I'll keep popping back here to see if anyone's responded, and hope to speak to you soon.

I have also emailed the info@ email address, but it seems possible that won't be checked given that the organisation isn't operating atm.

BTW, more details on SD: www.supporters-direct.coop

Kevin,

I'm London-based and active in football circles myself (at Conference level).

Any time you want to meet up to chat DCFC ST let me know. Though we have the fundamental problem of those most willing to get behind/organise it tending to not actually live in the City, and as you doubtless know it's not something that can be run from a distance.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust