Logo

Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

I know the ST didn't take off as well as we thought it would when we all signed up to be members but with a new season as a Premier Division team on the way we have another chance to make a go of it.

Four months before the start of the new season is more than enough time for members to come up with a few ideas. I know last time we all got ahead of ourselves and were expecting miracles. Miracles that didnt happen. Personally the way forward should be slow and steady.

Handing out football shirts in Africa is not going to help DCFC. Its won't put money in the coffers. Over the next 2 months (membership expires 31/Dec) I would encourage all members to renew and anyone who is not a member to join.

What should be done with the membership money? Pump it back into the club. I'm not sure how many members the ST has or how much it has in the bank but I propose that we get in there early and offer to Sponsor the first home game of the season. If all the ST did next season was sponsor the club for one game then I would be a happy sailor.

If at first you dont succeed, try try again.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 am 
Manager
Manager

conor, the problem is getting people involved. although initially involved, work and other commitments put paid to that. the guys are trying to get things organised, but ultimately it needs more than the usual suspects (not used in a derogatory fashion) banging their head against the wall. to be honest, everyone seemed up for it last time round as long as someone else did the work. it'll only work if folks not only get behind it, but also get out in front of it and lead it, organise events, fund raisers, community orientated activities, whatever the membership can come up with. theres a lot of comments on how derry city is a community club, the ST is a chance to put the community at the heart of the club, but only if they get involved.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:20 am 
Manager
Manager

I understand the difficulty and its easy for me to harp on about it with me being an Exile. But surely using the money in the bank to sponsor a game is do-able? It gets the name out there and the funds would benefit the club rather than sitting in the bank doing nothing. The only reason I wrote this was because I was going through a lot of the old threads which I missed whilst I was away. I read a few from the where Michael was metioning that the Club were really struggling to get match sponsors.

I just thought it would be a fantastic gesture. This is all on the assumption that the ST can afford to do this provided it is the view of the rest of the members. I have no idea how much it costs to sponsor a game or how much the ST actually has funds wise.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Why not just give the money to the club and let someone else sponsor a game. that way the club actually get more money

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:45 am 
Manager
Manager

StephenMcC wrote:
Why not just give the money to the club and let someone else sponsor a game. that way the club actually get more money

Charity is just not the same. Best to get something out of it. The ST needs the promotion just as much as any company. Might help with membership, who knows.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:06 am 
Manager
Manager

the trust currently has no managing committee voted in by the members - it has a working group trying to get things organised, but the guys have a lot on their plate, and a lot of work to do. again, anyone wants to get involved, let them know and start helping. its not hard to find their contact details on the MB. nothing can be done with any monies the trust has until voted on by the members, and it cant do that until it gets an agm.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

I was chatting to a few heads about getting this up and running again on Saturday night now that I'm living back home and can actually contribute, but my views on what a ST should be is very different from those above.

I don't think we should be raising money for the club, that's what bodies like the development committee are for and we shouldn't be trying to usurp anyone else's position. I think we should be going down the 'shirts to Africa' route!

I think the supporters trust should be set up to raise funds for various charities and worthwile causes in the North West area. There is still a fair bit of bad blood towards the club in Derry due to past mistakes. I would like us to nominate a charity every 6 months and raise money for them, to show that DCFC, and DCFC fans are a worthwile part of the community, which would be great publicity if done well. We could also start by doing something for Farrenn (legends v fans match?)

If we just raise money for the club, we are not doing anything different from before.

The main problem the supporters trust had when it came out was the tagline, 'it is whatever you want it to be'. People disagreed whether they wanted a place on the board, be a check on the board or just raise money for the club. I think we should hold an AGM and have people set out their respective visions for what it should be, and elect a committee then. TenaciousDee and I had thought of a few things on Saturday which we would love to do to promote a good image of DCFC, but if someone else has a better vision of what they want, I am more than happy to listen to see what is the best way forward.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Brendy, If you Dee and others have ideas for the Trust then I think you should roll with them. As a member you would have my support.

When I started this thread it was about getting the Trust back to life as nothing had been heard of it in some time. The suggestion of sponsoring a match was just something that I thought would be quite simple. The shirts for Africa thing is not something that I am totally against but something that a more established Trust might par take in. The charity closer to home is a good idea. People go on about starving wains in Africa when we actually have starving wains in Derry.

Back to the match sponsorship though. Instead of sponsoring first game of season how about the Trust trying to get organised so as to be in a position to sponsor a Mark Farren Testamonial?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

With regards to sponsorship, or anything for that matter I think we need an AGM first from what I've heard. Seeing as we have taken money off people, and not everyone is online it would be a bit cheeky spending their money and embarking on projects in their name without a public meeting in which they can have their say.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

I haven't been on this site for some time now but as Brendy said he and I have come up with a few ideas/projects that we could run with. It is documented here in previous threads that it was my desire to set up a Legends Committee to assist them on their charity efforts. By setting up a committee to aid them we can raise cash to help with the booking of pitches, hiring buses for games outside of the north west amongst other things. However things like this can not go ahead without an AGM so we can discuss ways of sponsorship to get the ball rolling. And as Brendy says we have a few heads willing to help out in our ideas.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

So how do we go about getting an AGM sorted?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

It's a work in progress St Connor. We're currently looking at venues, once that's sorted letters will be sent out and the appropriate notice given.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

BrendyH wrote:
It's a work in progress St Connor. We're currently looking at venues, once that's sorted letters will be sent out and the appropriate notice given.

Social Club is free for members.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 pm 

get attenances up

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Who Are Ya ? » Supporters Trust