Page 3 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Post subject: Re: 2020 season
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
PauliAlonso wrote:
marcoloco wrote:
FAI are a joke. Think we're the only league in europe with no idea of an action plan. Waiting for FIFA to bail them out again by the looks of things. no league football anytime even if restrictions are lifting it would appear.

Google "FAI league of ireland restart" and you'll see plenty of articles on the work going on between the FAI, the NLEC and the clubs, trying to get the season back up and running. Player testing has already started and that 4-team tournament has been arranged for the Aviva.

And we're not the only league in Europe with no action plan.

Don't confuse our 4 way tournament with league resumption. I'm not knocking the former but the later is what's critical to the long term viability of clubs and ultimately the league. The lack of any clear plan or resumption schedule for the league is hurting the clubs. i welcome the 4 way tournament but i hope others are still solvent to make up the numbers in the end.

Think they're trying to raise funds to offer packages agreeable to clubs.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

All 4 clubs test negative at the 2nd test. So far so good.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 am 
Manager
Manager

DC state that FAI help for clubs is "not equitable" so 4 team tournament stalled?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

kitwe wrote:
DC state that FAI help for clubs is "not equitable" so 4 team tournament stalled?

On Radio Foyle at lunchtime they reckon it's dead in the water. The F.A.I also want the 4 teams who qualified for Europe to use their European payments to contribute to the compensation fund. Derry have rejected this proposal.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/06 ... equitable/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm 

Undoubtedly the prize fund for UEFA Club competitors will be reduced next season for obvious reasons so asking clubs to front 150k without knowledge of the prize fund is irresponsible of our governing body. I did see the Dundalk Media Officer tweet that they (Dundalk) expect to compete in a one off qualifying round match instead of the usual 2 games. If it happens in the UCL it will happen in the UEL. This will reduce income as both teams often profit from their home games. No word (if true) to suggest both teams split the gate but everything seems to be preliminary discussions.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

If no agreement reached I can see the season written off although players still have to be paid. Strange that Deccy was praising the F.A.I last week.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

It looks like the 4 team tournament was going to cost 250k alone so that is now going into the pot to get the clubs back playing.

Derry say they are paying wages in full, but I assume they have been using the UK furlough scheme for part of it?

While it's still very uncertain, the prospect of some crowds being back at games by the end of the year is not as remote as a month ago. The league has the space to push out the season and start the 2021 season a bit later.

It may be that the FAI will have to subsidise a few months of the resumed league and that if crowds are back fully in December or so, clubs can go back to paying wages from their own income. In that case, the amount of money that will have to be put up to compensate clubs for behind closed doors games can be reduced somewhat. However, there would still need some sort of external guarantee if the crowds can't come back at that later stage. And it doesn't seem as if the money is there yet.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

TenaciousDee wrote:
Undoubtedly the prize fund for UEFA Club competitors will be reduced next season for obvious reasons so asking clubs to front 150k without knowledge of the prize fund is irresponsible of our governing body. I did see the Dundalk Media Officer tweet that they (Dundalk) expect to compete in a one off qualifying round match instead of the usual 2 games. If it happens in the UCL it will happen in the UEL. This will reduce income as both teams often profit from their home games. No word (if true) to suggest both teams split the gate but everything seems to be preliminary discussions.

Most Teams. But not Derry. We seem to be experts are messing that up. At least we won't have to face the usual '20 quid a ticket' debate.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

Derry added in their statement: "Because the Irish Government has truncated the number and timings of the easing of Covid-19 lockdown, there is a likelihood that the SSE Airtricity League will restart in mid-August.

"This would mean that the proposed four-team tournament between those teams participating in European competitions would not proceed."

As I said previously the FAI haven't a clue what they're playing at. Early resumption to training, regular testing, then asking european clubs to fit the bill for league resumption, failure to recognise clubs paying their staff, only league in europe on a summer schedule with no return date agreed amongst clubs with many indicating they're not wanting to return. Shambles.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Derry added in their statement: "Because the Irish Government has truncated the number and timings of the easing of Covid-19 lockdown, there is a likelihood that the SSE Airtricity League will restart in mid-August.

"This would mean that the proposed four-team tournament between those teams participating in European competitions would not proceed."

As I said previously the FAI haven't a clue what they're playing at. Early resumption to training, regular testing, then asking european clubs to fit the bill for league resumption, failure to recognise clubs paying their staff, only league in europe on a summer schedule with no return date agreed amongst clubs with many indicating they're not wanting to return. Shambles.

Sure the F.A.I were skint before Corona came calling.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

They were indeed skint and drew down 5m from UEFA early to bail them out of the last crises. Just reading this evening St Pats saying they've lost confidence in Owens and Quinn. Also noises coming out of Dundalk that they too are losing patience and whilst much of the mess was Delany's doing that too many of the FAI old guard remained in their jobs. How many other clubs will start speaking out if no return to action is agreed soon.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

They were indeed skint and drew down 5m from UEFA early to bail them out of the last crises. Just reading this evening St Pats saying they've lost confidence in Owens and Quinn. Also noises coming out of Dundalk that they too are losing patience and whilst much of the mess was Delany's doing that too many of the FAI old guard remained in their jobs. How many other clubs will start speaking out if no return to action is agreed soon.

I read at the weekend the Players Union stat some clubs are under the impression they don't have to pay wages if the season finishes early.Things could get messy.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 am 
Manager
Manager

As I said previously the FAI haven't a clue what they're playing at. Early resumption to training, regular testing, then asking european clubs to fit the bill for league resumption, failure to recognise clubs paying their staff, only league in europe on a summer schedule with no return date agreed amongst clubs with many indicating they're not wanting to return. Shambles.[/quote]
Sure the F.A.I were skint before Corona came calling.[/quote]

They were indeed skint and drew down 5m from UEFA early to bail them out of the last crises. Just reading this evening St Pats saying they've lost confidence in Owens and Quinn. Also noises coming out of Dundalk that they too are losing patience and whilst much of the mess was Delany's doing that too many of the FAI old guard remained in their jobs. How many other clubs will start speaking out if no return to action is agreed soon.[/quote]
I read at the weekend the Players Union stat some clubs are under the impression they don't have to pay wages if the season finishes early.Things could get messy.[/quote]

Under the wrong impression. A lawyer confirmed that if season is ended wages must still be paid out in full. Clubs between a rock and a hard place and the FAI got their begging bowl asking Clubs for donations and proposing tournaments that they can't afford to host. It's a shit show.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

Derry are right to say no contribution to the FAI from our Euro funding.

It's not our fault the FAI has put itself on the brink of bankruptcy. Let them knock on John Delaney and Robbie Keane's doors if they want some money. Or better still - they could get rid of the old guard on the FAI Council who are holding up government funding because they've yet to stand down.

The only basis on which there should be any consideration of a contribution from Euro prize money is if it is to become part of a new ongoing policy - i.e. happening every year, and not just this. It's what leagues like the Dutch do. We'd want a guarantee of it being on place for at least 5 years though, with a refund of our contribution if not. Because it wouldn't be a change agreed in good time well in advance, I think that's only fair.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
Derry are right to say no contribution to the FAI from our Euro funding.

It's not our fault the FAI has put itself on the brink of bankruptcy. Let them knock on John Delaney and Robbie Keane's doors if they want some money. Or better still - they could get rid of the old guard on the FAI Council who are holding up government funding because they've yet to stand down.

The only basis on which there should be any consideration of a contribution from Euro prize money is if it is to become part of a new ongoing policy - i.e. happening every year, and not just this. It's what leagues like the Dutch do. We'd want a guarantee of it being on place for at least 5 years though, with a refund of our contribution if not. Because it wouldn't be a change agreed in good time well in advance, I think that's only fair.

At the very least the Clubs may want to either offer a nominal percentage or a fixed amount but as a commercial loan. Plus this could be optional not forcing clubs to abide.

Meanwhile, looking like gatherings of 5k will be permitted from Sept so we should be back on track with full houses to look forward to. Can't wait to see the state of the masks rocking up to the Brandywell "-)

Also, i'm reading that Dublin is getting a new university and tallaght is getting another new stand. We can get neither - palmed off with no uni and 1/3 stand. Had it been built out as promised we'd have had no concerns about social distancing! Anyway, water under the foyle bridge...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Read this. Now if you were an outside investor, broadcaster, league or club sponsor or player you'd run a mile.

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/spo ... F2Ecj-8FzY

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Read this. Now if you were an outside investor, broadcaster, league or club sponsor or player you'd run a mile.

Tell them to get to France.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

The cheek of them... honestly. You couldn't make it up. Not a thought given to paying out big contracts to FAI former staff and Delany's pet projects including birthday parties etc. Then they ask the clubs to forgo prize money. :oops:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

The cheek of them... honestly. You couldn't make it up. Not a thought given to paying out big contracts to FAI former staff and Delany's pet projects including birthday parties etc. Then they ask the clubs to forgo prize money. :oops:

They probably saved some money appointing King Kenny.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:

Now is the best time to bring this in as well. Not necessarily because of the Corona situation, but in line with the new league format that's hopefully on the way.

Another option which the clubs should consider honestly (but they probably won't), would be to scrap promotion and relegation for the next five years too. Mexico is implementing this for their new season, as a way to help clubs get financially stable. Their 2nd tier teams are also in a mess and they see this as a possible way out of it. If there's no promotion, there's no splurging on new players, higher contracts. No First Division side is going to get rich from this, of course, but it could help get them on a stable footing at least.

Page 3 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News