Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News

Page 1 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Post subject: 2020 season
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

It looks increasingly likely that this season will be void or at best not recommence to the autumn. St Pats are the latest club to lay off staff. I presume this means releasing them from their contracts?

I suspect we are in a better position to furlough staff and players like linfield.

Would people prefer a void season or a WINTER league.

Post subject: Re: 2020 season
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

barry wrote:
It looks increasingly likely that this season will be void or at best not recommence to the autumn. St Pats are the latest club to lay off staff. I presume this means releasing them from their contracts?

I suspect we are in a better position to furlough staff and players like linfield.

Would people prefer a void season or a WINTER league.

Cork have furloughed their squad and topped upped the remaining 30% - so players getting 100% atm. Not sure why Pats haven't done this or if their statement is misleading

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

From the statement it looks like it's temporary.

By doing so, players will probably be eligible for the 350 euro per week payment.

If the season resumed at a later stage (not sure if it will) and finished past November, clubs might be able to use gate receipts to pay players beyond that date. Which might actually suit players at clubs who only offer 40 week contracts as they might normally have gone on a lower dole rate in November. At this stage, it's all just guesswork really.

I think this season will be voided entirely. It might be an idea as a substitute to run some sort of shortened cup competition towards the latter stages of 2020 if we do get some football back. Could even do it with some Irish League clubs, a one off Setanta.

I'm not quite sure what will happen with Europe. Derry seem to think they are ok there with the money coming in but not sure if I would share that confidence.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:38 pm 
Manager
Manager

rodgers wrote:

By doing so, players will probably be eligible for the 350 euro per week payment.

If the season resumed at a later stage (not sure if it will) and finished past November, clubs might be able to use gate receipts to pay players beyond that date. Which might actually suit players at clubs who only offer 40 week contracts as they might normally have gone on a lower dole rate in November. At this stage, it's all just guesswork really.

I think this season will be voided entirely. It might be an idea as a substitute to run some sort of shortened cup competition towards the latter stages of 2020 if we do get some football back. Could even do it with some Irish League clubs, a one off Setanta.

I'm not quite sure what will happen with Europe. Derry seem to think they are ok there with the money coming in but not sure if I would share that confidence.

Do Derry not get the money just for qualifying?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
rodgers wrote:

Do Derry not get the money just for qualifying?

You get the money for progressing through each round. Technically you need to play the game (win or lose) to get the money. The amount of money is determined by the progress in the completion. I suspect that compensation would be paid if the competition is scrapped. Or teams would be reentered next year.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wonder how much the Clubs will get?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/04 ... lief-move/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Zero

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

Burny89 wrote:
Zero

Clubs being asked to look closely at playing behind closed doors.

Whilst not a fan of this closed doors idea it would be interesting to know how many would purchase a virtual match ticket (or tickets) to stream games? And if so, how much would you be willing to pay?

I'd do it, but probably at no more than 50% of a normal ticket price. Maybe pay more if getting a set of home and away games together? Maybe something the Clubs could consider making sure games are available to away fans too.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:25 pm 

I have seen already that Dundalk have been trying to engage with supporters online (split between season ticket/non-season tickets holders) by asking about the willingness to pay for live game streams in the event of closed door games. Non-season ticket holders have been asked if they are willing to pay €10 per game whilst season ticket holders were asked if they would pay €7 for away games for the remainder of the season. I think all clubs should start getting the wheels in motion. Alot of clubs are probably desperate to go out and play for the prize money so that some revenue comes in. Advertising in the grounds may all ready be paid up so other "match day" revenues such as the online match programme/draws etc need to be explored to bump up income. If itnis behind close doors, Derry will stay have to pay rent on the pitch and the changing rooms.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

To be honest with you if the Club had a pay per view season ticket i'd probably get one as im unable to make all the games anyway. Maybe this will give Clubs the incentive to get on with it and make it available to fans even when things return to playing in front of the fans in packed stadiums.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm 

Another big issue for us is travel. The Dail may allow travel at a certain point in the future that doesn't necessarily fit into the Stormont policy. Will the team be able to cross the border and make a trip to Dublin for example? Would Dundalk for example be allowed over the border to come here?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 pm 
Manager
Manager

TenaciousDee wrote:
Another big issue for us is travel. The Dail may allow travel at a certain point in the future that doesn't necessarily fit into the Stormont policy. Will the team be able to cross the border and make a trip to Dublin for example? Would Dundalk for example be allowed over the border to come here?

If its behind closed doors I suspect that exceptions will be made. 1 coach arriving for a game and out again. No fans.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think playing behind closed doors is a car crash for LOI clubs. We dont have the broadcasting and sponsorships of other elite leagues to sustain our clubs. For most clubs we are reliant on match day and merchandise revenue.

For me nothing compares to the match day experience and personally id rather compete in a winter league or take a year out than watch a dodgy steam with no commentary and no atmosphere.

Other downsides of competing with behind closed doors is that the plans include:

Players not being able to train in greater than 5 people at the one time. How could Decky and other managers be expected to put on an exciting product worth purchasing on PPV when there no cohesion in training.

2 buses required for each away game to ensure social distancing. Can you imagine tbe costs for us?

Increased costs with Covid testing and there is concerns over insurance cover for players.

There are also Government issues that need prior approval without an All Ireland approach to Covid and Derry functioning across two jurisdictions.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:44 pm 

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... KDpaf718b4

What would you be willing to pay to watch Derry City?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

The deal breaker around the live streaming will be around accessibility to watching it.

Can it only be watched on a computer, laptop, iPad, mobile, etc? Or, will it be easy to watch on a Smart TV via casting or a streaming app?

If it's limited to computers, laptops, etc then it won't appeal to the masses and the less tech savvy people out there.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 am 
Manager
Manager

Not that there will be fans around but would need some kind of sound/commentary

Bland games no sound aren’t interesting, I said I pay up to £10 but that depending on product

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

Burny89 wrote:
Not that there will be fans around but would need some kind of sound/commentary

Bland games no sound aren’t interesting, I said I pay up to £10 but that depending on product

IF it was to go ahead i don't think including commentary would be too problematic.

I envisage a quality product not a link to a stream that's running a few seconds behind and not always following the ball. It will only work if its decent otherwise people won't pay for it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 pm 
First Team
First Team

Voted on the journal website, personally I won't be paying.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.derryjournal.com/news/derry ... an-2615440

Personally wouldn't be in favour. Think the European qualified clubs want it more than the others.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

rodgers wrote:
https://www.derryjournal.com/news/derry-city-back-league-ireland-behind-closed-doors-plan-2615440

Personally wouldn't be in favour. Think the European qualified clubs want it more than the others.

Makes sense. Bigger clubs with more to gain will want / need it more.

Page 1 of 11 [ 209 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News