Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: John Cofie
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 pm 
First Team
First Team

Take Dapo Kayode.

I can't comment on how good / bad he is as ive never seen him play. But that's kinda my point. If where signing guys to sit around the fringes of the team surely we're better off nurturing local talent as there more likely to be there for a sustained period.

I'm guessing that Dapo will be off at the end of the season... and quite possibly without kicking a ball in anger. Then its back to square one.

I'm not saying don't sign players from elsewhere. Im saying we need to get smarter with the local talent pool as well as signing players from elsewhere.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ciaron Harkin & Darren McCauley both at Coleraine would be good additions.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm 

Marco,

Genuine question - how should/could we be "smarter"?

We have yet another young player making his debut on Monday night in the form of Aidy Delap.

The club has the City colts feeding into the U-15s, U-17s, U-19s.

However the reality is that at any point in time there may not be the players that we need in the positions that we need them. Plus, if someone else come in and offers them first team football(and a wage) and we aren't going to play them, we have to accept that they should probably go.

Look at Harkin at Coleraine. Left here, went to Stute, got his move to Coleraine and is flying. However was he realistically going to break in to a midfield of Low, McEneff and McNamee as it was then. Probably not.

That's the manager's right to go out and get from elsewhere if we wants to. There are very, very few Derry players that would you feel we have missed out on. I would argue that examples such as Eamon Seydak during his League winning days at Cliftonville were probably one of the few examples of local talent that didn't turn out for us.

As an aside Kayode has already come off the bench in Waterford and Rovers.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

If we are bringing in players from outside of Ireland, then Kenny should only be doing it when there is a gap in the first team and the player will get games right away.

It seems that Kenny is bringing players in as squad players, paying them wages and other costs and then deciding after a month or two they are not needed.....and will then do it again with someone else....... all a complete waste of money.

Players like Vemmelund, Nicky Low, Harry Monaghan(until injury), Cole, Schubert and maybe even Jack Doyle now all came into the first team and played right away and became good established players.If they are not ready to go into the first team right away, then don't sign them.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:43 pm 
First Team
First Team

[quote="MariborKev"]Marco,

Genuine question - how should/could we be "smarter"?

KS has done fantastic with the under age set-up. I would be the first to commend that. But over the years we've signed lots of players that have either failed to make an appearance or made a nominal impact. Obviously some work out and some don't...

What i'm getting at is the young 'local players' who can't break into the team but find favour elsewhere such as McClean and Daniels. Of course its the managers right to pick and choose who he see fit. But lets take Josh Daniels as an example. A young player that left because he was frustrated with lack of game time. Snapped up elsewhere, offered a decent wage and now playing regularly.

Now, its my opinion that players like JD (and McClean), who clearly possess the talent are deserving of greater protection by the club. By protection that may be minutes on the pitch and enhanced 52 week contracts / wages to give them the time they need to develop and the support not to become disillusioned and go elsewhere.

My gripe is that the high turnover of players every season should be reduced. This is costing the club money and the manager time. Therefore, if the local players showing promise were 'handled' better then maybe we could establish a stronger local core of players that hang around longer.

JD has proven his worth. McClean is still only 20/21 and has shown he can offer something. I'd rather both these guys where part of our match day squad rather than guys who will be gone and forgotten come October.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm 

marcoloco wrote:
What i'm getting at is the young 'local players' who can't break into the team but find favour elsewhere such as McClean and Daniels. Of course its the managers right to pick and choose who he see fit. But lets take Josh Daniels as an example. A young player that left because he was frustrated with lack of game time. Snapped up elsewhere, offered a decent wage and now playing regularly.

Genuinely,

Did anyone lose that much sleep when Daniels left? Clearly the last year has been hugely difficult for him and I wish him the very very best both personally and professionally.

You saw him as someone who has proved his both. I saw him as an average enough player, grand to have, wasn't that bothered when he left. He's doing grand in the Irish League. The League that many Derry fans "believe" is of inferior standard. Also, if KS tells him "you are at best going to be a squad player for me" and Gary Hamilton tells him he is going to be a regular, then it is in the players best interest to leave. No even person born in Derry who makes it to our squad is going to be good enough to improve our first team squad.

I can see Kev's point about bringing in squad players from abroad. There certainly could be an argument that there is an over reliance on one or two agents/agencies, but that is up to the manager and the board as to how the budget is spent. The common refrain last year was that we lacked experience. Also, KS may be prepping for the lack that we could lose Curtis, Ben Doherty, McDermott if other clubs come calling.

KS has also spoken at length about that he thinks there is very limited "value" offered by LOI players. So he has made his decision to recruit abroad. Stephen Kenny has basically brought through no-one from their youth set up, and has farmed out the the likes of the O'Connors on loan elsewhere. Clearly their budget is different to ours, but just interesting to note. The same with Rovers, for all their famed approach to youth - that is basically nearly all bought in.

In a perfect world, yes we would love to hand out 52 week contracts and multi years deals. But we exist because the chairman continues to fund us to the tune of £300k a year. That's the reality.

We're a regional team, we are always going to rely on an element of "hired guns" in order to improve us.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 pm 
First Team
First Team

Most of that I agree with. But if you look at the calibre of players (some local and some not) that have left us in recent years for Dundalk and Cork for which we've received not a penny. Had these players not been on 52 week deals then maybe we'd be stronger (or better off) and not reliant on PoD. I'm sure he would prefer not to keep us afloat with handouts and through better management of players and contracts (which we are finally beginning to see) there's a possibility that we'll become a more viable outfit in future.

The geography will always work against us to some extent (unless we are challenging for honours and competing on wages) but it does lend us to consider Scottish players... for which we have a long affinity with. I think the Club structure is still evolving and with time should get better and more professional along the way.

Part of this progress is back to the management of local based players. Whilst being local is not a pre-requisite to being in the squad efforts should be made to retain those that have some obvious potential. I do think that this will happen because it'll prove more economically efficient in the long term though obviously players will leave for a whole load of different reasons.

As for Dundalk and Rovers they have the resources to gamble / buy the best players in search of instant success. They have less need to promote from within as they can pick off the best players showing promise in teams up and down the country. Though to be fair to Rovers they are putting in place the youth structures that should start producing players in the years ahead. However, you still need a manager willing to play them. At least with KS we have one of the best in the business for that!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

Cofie HASNT left the club

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:43 am 
First Team
First Team

barry wrote:

Awe ffs. Spoil the buzz

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am 
Manager
Manager

barry wrote:

Allowed time to go back to England as his wife is Pregnant.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:09 pm 

As his agent's twitter last week, his partner had given birth.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

MariborKev wrote:

Congrats to both.

I really hope he sticks it out with us to see what he can do as we need something different up front to Patterson and Cofie seems to have the attributes to do that.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:59 pm 
First Team
First Team

KEVK wrote:
MariborKev wrote:

Congrats to both.

I really hope he sticks it out with us to see what he can do as we need something different up front to Patterson and Cofie seems to have the attributes to do that.

Seen much of him?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

Great to see Hopkirk score for Derry with his first touch. Shows out of towners have a place here too

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:20 am 
Manager
Manager

And great to see young Patterson getting first goal of the season :D

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:46 pm 
First Team
First Team

According to 'Soccer Donegal' on Twitter a Derry City XI are playing the Innishowen League in Maginn Park tonight and Cofie has scored for Derry.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 pm 
Reserves
Reserves

Derry City XI beaten 2-1 by the Inishowen League

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News