Squad 2024

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
barry
First Team
First Team

Squad 2024

Post by barry »

There has been some chat in the media that several players will leave the club after tonight's game. Personally I expect potentially Shane or coll to leave given Sam Todd has signed. I also think Jackie, Evan, and C Kavanagh will depart. I expect Jamie to be sold and Tadgh will be kept on if happy to remain no.2. Do we risk keeping Whealan or cut our losses? I would let Sadio snd McEneff leave so we can improve CM.

b]Goalkeeper[/b]

Brian Maher (Nov 2025)
Tadhg Ryan (Nov 2024)

Defenders

Ronan Boyce (Nov 2025)
Mark Connolly (Nov 2024)
Cameron McJannett (Nov 2024)
Shane McEleney (Nov 2024)
Sam Todd (Nov 2024)
Ciaran Coll (Nov 2024)
Ben Doherty (Nov 2025)

Midfield

Cameron Dummigan (Nov 2024)
Ciaron Harkin (Nov 2024)
Sadou Diallo (Nov 2025)
Will Patching (Nov 2024)
Patrick McEleney (Nov 2024)
Jordan McEneff (Nov 2024)
Adam O'Reilly (Nov 2025)

Paul McMullan (Nov 2024)
Micheal Duffy (Nov 2025)
Daniel Kelly (Nov 2025)

Patrick Hoban (Nov 2026)
Colm Whelan (Nov 2024)
Danny Mullen (Nov 2024)

U21s
Diathi McCallion
Ben McGonigle
Sean Patton
Tiaran McGinity
Liam OConnell
Conor Barr

On loan
Fintain Doherty GK (Institute)
Caoimhin Porter (Institute)
Liam Mullan (Institute)

Released
Cian Kavanagh (St Pats)
Evan McLaughlin (Cork City)
B Kavanagh (St Pats)
Jamie McGonigle (Coleraine)
Jack Lemoignan (H&W Welders)
Last edited by barry on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 am, edited 14 times in total.

TenaciousDee

Re: Squad 2024

Post by TenaciousDee »

Evan's contract is up this month too.

I think Sam Todd and the two Scottish lads signed 18 month deals but I am open to correction.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Hopefully Jackie will stay, would be very unfair to let him go IMO

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:16 am Hopefully Jackie will stay, would be very unfair to let him go IMO
They will be need to be ruthless at some point. We've got 4 or 5 big earners not contributing due to long term injuries and prognosis for those players is not looking good. Unless Jackie can make a full recovery and meaningful contribution, and others too, then questions need to be asked about how we move forward with them.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:59 am Evan's contract is up this month too.

I think Sam Todd and the two Scottish lads signed 18 month deals but I am open to correction.
Thoughts on the 2 Scottish signings now that they've played half a season and settled in.

For me its a hit and a miss.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:18 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:59 am Evan's contract is up this month too.

Thoughts on the 2 Scottish signings now that they've played half a season and settled in.

For me its a hit and a miss.
Pauls the Hit Danny the Miss.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

McMullan's impact at the start was there to be seen. Very direct and loved to run down the line. In saying that, he seems to look a bit leggy and is in desperate need of a close season rest to recharge for next season.

Mullen looks fitter and sharper, but long term he doesn't look like the solution to our lack of goals for next season. I don't think he offers more than McGonigle and I believe in my heart Akintunde offered more and something different than the three fit forwards we have now.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

It's well and good saying let players under contract go but most players won't leave without a pay off. You think for example if McGonigle goes to the likes of Coleraine they will pay him the same money as he is on here - hence a pay off and the player has to be willing to leave as well.

I do think we need to be ruthless- if players who are out of contract can be improved upon or not contributing then we need to get rid. The only player I'd keep who is out of contract is Coll as he's good back up and is versatile (played everywhere across the back line this season).

The likes of Duffy and Fats need to up their game next season as IMO they aren't doing enough- even if Fats was carrying an injury.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:47 pm McMullan's impact at the start was there to be seen. Very direct and loved to run down the line. In saying that, he seems to look a bit leggy and is in desperate need of a close season rest to recharge for next season.

Mullen looks fitter and sharper, but long term he doesn't look like the solution to our lack of goals for next season. I don't think he offers more than McGonigle and I believe in my heart Akintunde offered more and something different than the three fit forwards we have now.
Letting Akintunde and Thomson leave were two terrible decisions. Both would have improved our options this season, both fighting fit and full of running, and they would have most definately chipped in with goals.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

barry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:55 am There has been some chat in the media that several players will leave the club after tonight's game. Personally I expect potentially Shane or coll to leave given Sam Todd has signed. I also think Jackie, Evan, and C Kavanagh will depart. I expect Jamie to be sold and Tadgh will be kept on if happy to remain no.2. Do we risk keeping Whealan or cut our losses? I would let Sadio snd McEneff leave so we can improve CM.

b]Goalkeeper[/b]

Brian Maher (Nov 2025)
Tadhg Ryan (Nov 2023)
Fintan Doherty (?)

Defenders

Ronan Boyce (Nov 2025)
Mark Connolly (Nov 2024)
Cameron McJannett (Nov 2024)
Shane McEleney (Nov 2023)
Sam Todd (?)
Ciaran Coll (Nov 2023)

Midfield

Cameron Dummigan (Nov 2024)
Ciaron Harkin (Nov 2023)
Sadou Diallo (Nov 2023)
Will Patching (Nov 2024)
Patrick McEleney (Nov 2024)
Jordan McEneff (Nov 2025)
Evan McLaughlin
Ben Doherty (Nov 2025)
Adam O'Reilly (Nov 2024)

Attackers/Forwards

Brandon Kavanagh (Nov 2024)
Paul McMullan (?)
Micheal Duffy (Nov 2025)
Jamie McGonigle (Nov 2025)
Cian Kavanagh (Nov 2023)
Colm Whelan (Nov 2024)
Danny Mullen (?)

On loan
Jack Lemoignan (Ballinamallard)
Caoimhin Porter (Finn Harps)
Diathi McCallion (Finn Harps)
Liam Mullan (Institute)
Jack LeMoignan was on Bench for European games, did he go out on loan again.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

marcoloco wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:11 pm
TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:47 pm McMullan's impact at the start was there to be seen. Very direct and loved to run down the line. In saying that, he seems to look a bit leggy and is in desperate need of a close season rest to recharge for next season.

Letting Akintunde and Thomson leave were two terrible decisions. Both would have improved our options this season, both fighting fit and full of running, and they would have most definately chipped in with goals.
I agree but with Akintunde he could hold it up with his back to goal, turn look up and find a pass. He brought the wingers and the likes of Thomson into the attack from a central position. None of our current players are able to do that.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

TenaciousDee wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:53 pm
marcoloco wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:11 pm

I agree but with Akintunde he could hold it up with his back to goal, turn look up and find a pass. He brought the wingers and the likes of Thomson into the attack from a central position. None of our current players are able to do that.
Agree. He would run the channels and his strength made him a handful for any defence. Thomson was a box to box player - very direct and played with intensity and always had a goal in him. We've lost that drive and eye for goal and now only seem to have players more comfortable knocking it around.

footman
First Team
First Team

Post by footman »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Lads Akintunde has 1 goal, 2 assists and 10 appearances for Bohs this season. Hardly title winning credentials.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

barry wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:48 pm Lads Akintunde has 1 goal, 2 assists and 10 appearances for Bohs this season. Hardly title winning credentials.
He's also 1 game away from another medal.

To win a title you need a solid squad. Different players offering different things. We lost out in that hold up play when he left and he chipped in with the a goals too.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I think Coll is our best left back so would keep him. I think both Kavanaghs might move on and I wonder if the likes of McEneff will be kept on.

We were told all year that McEleney's injury was being "managed" (much like our matches) when it was anything but.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

rodgers wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:59 pm I think Coll is our best left back so would keep him. I think both Kavanaghs might move on and I wonder if the likes of McEneff will be kept on.

We were told all year that McEleney's injury was being "managed" (much like our matches) when it was anything but.
You think Coll is better than Doherty?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

As a left back, yes. Sorry, I thought that was clear enough.

I think Doherty is much better offensively but Coll is better defensively and overall is better at left back in my opinion.

McJannet for example is a better centre half than Coll yet sometimes gets picked ahead of Coll at left back which I also don't like. It's like trying to get the best 11 out on the pitch no matter what which doesn't always work.

I also think Doherty is better in more advanced positions as wing back, winger or a 10 and played there in Irish League. And I think he has said so himself too. He carries much more of a goal threat there too.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

McGonigle and Diallo are the only two I'd let go and would keep the rest. Harsh on McGonigle but we need goals. And Diallo, too many mistakes.

davybhoy
Manager
Manager

Post by davybhoy »

Heard last night from a mate who spoke to someone in the know that 5 or 6 will be on their way out with McGonigle being one of them. I dare say Glentoran or Coleraine will be his destination.

We need quality in as the team near enough picks itself - with the exception of the forward line as all of them aren't up to it.

I hope Brandon Kavanagh is kept as he offers something a wee bit different when he is played in the correct position.