Page 1 of 3 [ 55 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Limerick v Derry City
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 pm 

All,

Kicking off a thread ahead of tomorrow.

Suspended: McHattie
Out Injured: Rory Hale, McDermott
Doubtful: McDonagh, Seaborne

Hard to know where to start with this one, or to get excited. The talk of putting pressure on Bohs and Pats seems increasingly outlandish given our inability to keep clean sheets or put performances together.

Limerick are clearly saving themselves for the playoffs, but are gonna have to find a bit of form at some stage.

Assume we will see Low continue his rehabilitation etc.

Heading to this one, but genuinely wondering why to be honest.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

I hear you Kev.

For many, myself included, this season is more or less over. We are only playing out the games now, cos most of us know there is zero chance of us catching anybody above us. If anything, we are more likely to drop into 8th than get into 5th or 6th.

And is there any point in catching Bohs or St Pats? Sure whats the benefit of finishing 5th?

Roll on next season :(

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

Personally, I would like to see us in the Irn Bru Cup!

Maybe some of our Scottish players would like that too to put themselves in the shop window over there. If they are still here.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

I suspect those who attend the last couple of games at home will do so largely out of duty.

The Irn Bru Cup would be something good to qualify for though - if only for a change of scenery and opposition. It might also be our nearest thing to a European outing for some time :D

Do the FAI allocate extra funding for each tier up the table that teams finish in ? I would assume they do, as this seems standard practice in football now. If so - then there might be a few bob at stake as well, but our chances of finishing above Pats or Bohs look slim tbh.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Both sides can't wait until the season ends. Lets try and get as many points as possible now.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
I suspect those who attend the last couple of games at home will do so largely out of duty.

The Irn Bru Cup would be something good to qualify for though - if only for a change of scenery and opposition. It might also be our nearest thing to a European outing for some time :D

Do the FAI allocate extra funding for each tier up the table that teams finish in ? I would assume they do, as this seems standard practice in football now. If so - then there might be a few bob at stake as well, but our chances of finishing above Pats or Bohs look slim tbh.

Is there not only 1 home game left Vs Cork?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

5th isn't out of the question but we reply on Bohs & Pats having a dip which could easily happen (cup distractions and managerless)...

Has there been a ruling on Waterford yet and their entry into Europe despite the rules stating otherwise...?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
stevebradley wrote:

Yeah - sorry. My bad. I think I'd erased the Rovers game from my memory :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
brandyball wrote:
stevebradley wrote:

Yeah - sorry. My bad. I think I'd erased the Rovers game from my memory :D

Understandably!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

Adam Quigley wrote:
Both sides can't wait until the season ends. Lets try and get as many points as possible now.

Don’t forget, people of the city and soothsayers alike, with any football brains, it’s 13 points from the last 57 with a total of 60 league goals against.

But here, we are in transition sure, so alls well...

If we do lose again it will be 6 league defeats in a row. Another club record I would suggest!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 pm 
First Team
First Team

MariborKev wrote:
All,

Hard to know where to start with this one, or to get excited. The talk of putting pressure on Bohs and Pats seems increasingly outlandish given our inability to keep clean sheets or put performances together.

Limerick are clearly saving themselves for the playoffs, but are gonna have to find a bit of form at some stage.

[b]Heading to this one, but genuinely wondering why to be honest.[/b]

Because that's what 'supporters' do, if they are able., well that's what use to happen.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:

I thought the DHSS ran the Bru Cup and give universal credit to anyone who attended!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

Phillipb wrote:
MariborKev wrote:
All,

[b]Heading to this one, but genuinely wondering why to be honest.[/b]

Because that's what 'supporters' do, if they are able., well that's what use to happen.

But the club can't survive - let alone prosper - on those who are die-hard enough to turn up no matter what.

The club has no God-given right to be supported simply because it exists. Until the powers that be absorb that fact, I don't think we'll make a lot of progress tbh.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:

This.
I'd love to qualify for that competition. Four points behind sixth spot though, it's a big ask.
I do expect us to win tonight though.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

Whats the attraction in playing against reserve and under age teams in Scotland? Surely that's pre-season fodder and not something to aspire to? Can't see how it would help us in any way having to travel to Scotland and play in these meaningless games... especially if we're back in contention for 4th next season?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Kenny still thinks we can qualify for Europe sure.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Whats the attraction in playing against reserve and under age teams in Scotland? Surely that's pre-season fodder and not something to aspire to? Can't see how it would help us in any way having to travel to Scotland and play in these meaningless games... especially if we're back in contention for 4th next season?

That's a bit harsh on the teams outside the SPL, who no doubt all put out their best squads.

In return, they're probably wondering what the attraction is in playing Irish teams :D

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:32 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

That's a bit harsh on the teams outside the SPL, who no doubt all put out their best squads.

In return, they're probably wondering what the attraction is in playing Irish teams :D

Absolutely. But they are not the ones having to travel and disrupt their schedules... I can imagine next year when we are fighting with Pats and Bohs and Waterford for 4th then having to head off to Scotland to play Cowdenbeth or Livingstone Revs. We also have too many long, tiring trips to Cork, Limerick, Bray, Waterford... without throwing Scotland into the mix.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

Absolutely. But they are not the ones having to travel and disrupt their schedules... I can imagine next year when we are fighting with Pats and Bohs and Waterford for 4th then having to head off to Scotland to play Cowdenbeth or Livingstone Revs. We also have too many long, tiring trips to Cork, Limerick, Bray, Waterford... without throwing Scotland into the mix.

Look at the positives though, KS will be able to source a few more journeymen from the Scottish lower leagues to waste money on! :D

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

You do realise that all teams in thie Irn-Bru Cup can be drawn away as wel as at home though ? e.g. Sutton United have to travel to Dublin next weekend for their match against Bohs ; most of the fixtures TNS have played have been at home. So it's just not true to say Scottish clubs don't have to travel.

As for the disruption - clubs can pass on the offer of participating, as Pats did this year. The entire LOI could pass on it too if it wanted to. There's free choice involved in it all. It would be nice for Derry to be in a position to make that choice, and to pass on it then if we think that's for the best.

Page 1 of 3 [ 55 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News