Logo

 
Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News




 Page 72 of 94 [ 1877 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 94  Next



Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:34 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 pm
Posts: 1056
We should all be grateful to stevebradley for finding this out for us.

It is going to cause major problems for the club. We will now have to move extremely quickly to either get the Sligo, Dundalk, and Limerick games moved to become Sligo, Dundalk, and Limerick home games or we'll have to move even quicker to find a ground in Derry or Donegal to play them in and get the FAI's permission to do so.

This could mean our first six games are away games.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:50 pm
Posts: 6257
Location: I'm at a place called Vertigo
The club has known all along that the Sligo game was not going to be fulfilled on the specified date. POD contacted Fran Gavin and asked it be reversed which is why the fixture leak a few hours before official release initially said we'd be away that fixture. In saying that the club at the time were confident they'd be able to play Dundalk at the Brandywell as scheduled.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
Manager
Manager
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:32 am
Posts: 463
I am sure there are a number of fans living away who would have hoped to make it home for the opening of the Brandywell. There may even be fans who have booked flights expecting the Sligo game to go ahead as there has been nothing confirmed to suggest otherwise.

There will also be fans holding off on season ticket purchases as with the potential fixtures changes a number of home games may not suit them.

I just hope this delay doesn't have too much of a negative impact on moving back to the Brandywell.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 817
Chalkie wrote:
daniel wrote:
It's a joke that this information has come from a fan! You can only imagine the club would have had an idea, given that the season is a matter of days away, so between them and the council a statement should have been released!


Don't be so sure, daniel.

The Council didn't tell the ratepayers or the media any of this so there is no reason to think they told the club.


Chalkie can't believe how much the board is being given a bye ball on all of this. Surely the board must have been talking to the council, because of the fixtures and where they will be played. I don't think the board has made any comment, on here, the club's web site or any of the media ie papers radio etc. Surely they must feel some responsibility towards the supporters especially when they are pushing to sell as many season tickets as possible. I mean how hard is to make a statement?

I honestly feel the board is letting us down very badly.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 4819
TenaciousDee wrote:
The club has known all along that the Sligo game was not going to be fulfilled on the specified date. POD contacted Fran Gavin and asked it be reversed which is why the fixture leak a few hours before official release initially said we'd be away that fixture. In saying that the club at the time were confident they'd be able to play Dundalk at the Brandywell as scheduled.


They have?

Well it might have been nice to announce this.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 pm
Posts: 919
Lets be realistic here.

DCFC can't do anything about a handful of people that live away and want to book flights to get home. I'm one of them but anyone with any experience of building projects know that delays are part and parcel. Only way to deliver an on time project is to ensure you throw money and man power at it. On this occasion the Club is a tenant and the responsibility for deadlines is the Council's and their appointed contractors.

There's no danger extra money will be found to deliver the project on time so the club (as tenants) and supporters must simply wait. Not ideal but that's the reality of it.

As for season ticket purchases - again, we're looking at possibly 2 to 4 games elsewhere at worst out of 20 add games. So, I would not have thought it too big a deal.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline
First Team
First Team

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am
Posts: 178
The lack of updates from the club in general is very poor. It really is.

The boys (Kev and Chalkie) are doing a great job on the Merchandise front; but one of the reasons why the two lads deserve so much credit is due to the news updates that the two boys frequently put out.

They maximise Facebook, Twitter, the club website, Instagram, local press etc - the launch of the new jersey last week being a perfect example.

Everyone far and wide - knows exactly what is happening on that front; if a question is asked the boys respond instantly. As a result of this, I am sure the Merchandise sales are excellent (all money to the club - generated from two volunteers).

However; in terms of friendly details, stadium updates, new signings, trialists, etc; the new from the club is shocking. They give no updates at all.

Steve Bradley has taken the bull by the horns and got the position on the stadium - nothing from the club.

There was a friendly last week at Moyola Park and the club put out no details whatsoever.

There is a friendly I believe this Friday night versus Finn Harps - again nothing seems to be know anything and the club have not mentioned the game.

Supporters are asking the position in relation to players like Chris Turner, and players brought in for trials; as fans have an interest in the club and want to know. They want to try and get excited about the season ahead, but sometimes the apathy from the club is disheartening.

Why does the club get on like this. What does the commercial manager do to justify her wage ? I am sure the two boys who worked so tirelessly on the merchandise front and do some simply out of love for the club and not asked for a penny in return. Yet, people in the club are getting paid; am I am struggling to see/justify what they do in return.

If they want the club to be a success and a focal point in the community - they need to engage the community, get people talking about the club, games coming up etc. Instead lately; we have had very very little.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 am
Posts: 440
joe3576 wrote:
The lack of updates from the club in general is very poor. It really is.

The boys (Kev and Chalkie) are doing a great job on the Merchandise front; but one of the reasons why the two lads deserve so much credit is due to the news updates that the two boys frequently put out.

They maximise Facebook, Twitter, the club website, Instagram, local press etc - the launch of the new jersey last week being a perfect example.

Everyone far and wide - knows exactly what is happening on that front; if a question is asked the boys respond instantly. As a result of this, I am sure the Merchandise sales are excellent (all money to the club - generated from two volunteers).

However; in terms of friendly details, stadium updates, new signings, trialists, etc; the new from the club is shocking. They give no updates at all.

Steve Bradley has taken the bull by the horns and got the position on the stadium - nothing from the club.

There was a friendly last week at Moyola Park and the club put out no details whatsoever.

There is a friendly I believe this Friday night versus Finn Harps - again nothing seems to be know anything and the club have not mentioned the game.

Supporters are asking the position in relation to players like Chris Turner, and players brought in for trials; as fans have an interest in the club and want to know. They want to try and get excited about the season ahead, but sometimes the apathy from the club is disheartening.

Why does the club get on like this. What does the commercial manager do to justify her wage ? I am sure the two boys who worked so tirelessly on the merchandise front and do some simply out of love for the club and not asked for a penny in return. Yet, people in the club are getting paid; am I am struggling to see/justify what they do in return.

If they want the club to be a success and a focal point in the community - they need to engage the community, get people talking about the club, games coming up etc. Instead lately; we have had very very little.


Couldn't have put it better myself


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm
Posts: 885
joe3576 wrote:
The lack of updates from the club in general is very poor. It really is.

The boys (Kev and Chalkie) are doing a great job on the Merchandise front; but one of the reasons why the two lads deserve so much credit is due to the news updates that the two boys frequently put out.

They maximise Facebook, Twitter, the club website, Instagram, local press etc - the launch of the new jersey last week being a perfect example.

Everyone far and wide - knows exactly what is happening on that front; if a question is asked the boys respond instantly. As a result of this, I am sure the Merchandise sales are excellent (all money to the club - generated from two volunteers).

However; in terms of friendly details, stadium updates, new signings, trialists, etc; the new from the club is shocking. They give no updates at all.

Steve Bradley has taken the bull by the horns and got the position on the stadium - nothing from the club.

There was a friendly last week at Moyola Park and the club put out no details whatsoever.

There is a friendly I believe this Friday night versus Finn Harps - again nothing seems to be know anything and the club have not mentioned the game.

Supporters are asking the position in relation to players like Chris Turner, and players brought in for trials; as fans have an interest in the club and want to know. They want to try and get excited about the season ahead, but sometimes the apathy from the club is disheartening.

Why does the club get on like this. What does the commercial manager do to justify her wage ? I am sure the two boys who worked so tirelessly on the merchandise front and do some simply out of love for the club and not asked for a penny in return. Yet, people in the club are getting paid; am I am struggling to see/justify what they do in return.

If they want the club to be a success and a focal point in the community - they need to engage the community, get people talking about the club, games coming up etc. Instead lately; we have had very very little.


Most of that is nonsense! :evil:

"in terms of friendly details, stadium updates, new signings, trialists, etc; the new from the club is shocking. They give no updates at all."

Friendly Details: the team's initial friendly plans were posted on the main club website (go find the link yourself). Weather then played havoc with other games and, I'm sure, some were arranged/rearranged at short notice. Some friendlies played at a certain venue were required to be kept secret by the operator of the venue. The Finn Harps game hasn't been confirmed to you yet because the details haven't been finalised.

Stadium Updates: as Marco already said, the club is a tenant. I'm sure the board does know more about it than we do but, again, I'd doubt if anything is confirmed. If it's possible that only the first game needs to be switched to an away game, why tell the fans that it might take longer than that and risk ST sales again? Frankly, if I was chairman, I probably wouldn't inform the fans either.

New signings: I'm pretty sure I've seen all new players announced by the club. Maybe not first, fine, but that's the nature of social media, especially in a small town like Derry. There's always someone else who hears it first (i.e. starts the rumour). As with Nicky Low (and I think another player), until the forms are signed and stamped, the club can't annouce anything, even if the Journal can.

Trialists: Probably the worst gripe on that manifesto of yours. Check every preseason team sheet up and down the country and you'll see players named as "Trialist A-B-C" all over the place. Clubs don't announce who they have in on trial in case another tries club to gazump them. As a fan you should be glad to hear nothing officially about triallists, not moaning about silence.

Does the club do everything perfectly? No. Do the people behind the scenes deserve the shite and criticism that's thrown at them on here? Fuck no.

The organisation and launch of both jerseys (and other merchandise) has been fantastic. But to compare the exposure on that front with the lack of info on the other things you mentioned, is comparing apples and oranges. If the time comes that the club doesn't advertise home friendlies (where we could lose out on gate money, for example), fine, then sack the board.

What does the commercial manager do to justify her wage?

Nothing, sack her too. :roll:


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 817
I'm with Joe on this one.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 pm 
Offline
First Team
First Team

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am
Posts: 178
PauliAlonso

Its not really nonsense - I just want to see the club be better, thats not too much to ask !

The club had a game at Moyola Park last Wednesday night against the NI Regions Select Team - it would have taken the club 2 minutes to let the fans know that the game was taking place. To date it would have been the closest game to Derry that the team had played in pre-season; I am sure fans would have travelled down. Derry did bring a full strength team after all ?

It really doesn't matter if the club own or lease the Brandywell - we play our home games there, we need as many people as possible attending home games/buying season tickets - therefore information about when our first home game will be - I would think is pretty much essential.

It is already been mentioned that the uncertainty will affect season tickets - so that cannot possibly be good.

We have a great opportunity with us moving back into a refurbished Brandywell, with the new Adidas merchandise deal and with European football to look forward to it - to try and promote the club, bring a real feel good factor about the place, try and entice maybe an extra 200 fans a week - but at the minute I don't believe the club is doing this. An opportunity is slipping through their hands.

I always sense, some people will not allow any criticism of the club whatsoever - that is fine. But if we ever want to improve, sometimes change needs to happen, people take to listen and accept advice and even criticism at times. But it seems to be the club is always very reactionary about a lot of things, instead of being proactive for a change.

The merchandise boys were proactive - constantly working, promoting, taking some criticism, accepting it, making changes, moving on - the club on the other hand and certain people around it - want not a word said and for everyone to just accept as is and to be grateful. I am grateful, very grateful - but want it to be even better. No crime in that.

If we are not good enough engaging with the community then as a club we will never progress.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 pm
Posts: 919
Joe >

"It really doesn't matter if the club own or lease the Brandywell - we play our home games there, we need as many people as possible attending home games/buying season tickets - therefore information about when our first home game will be - I would think is pretty much essential."

It actually matters massively. As tenants they can't influence the speed of works in any way. They pay a rent to play there. They don't own it. They dont pay for the works. Nor do they instruct the building contractor. Hence, how can they give out information on home games if they are in the dark themselves and can't influence the completion date?

As you say, season tickets sales may be influenced by the completion date. So it stands to reason that everyone related to the Club (players, manager, supporters, sponsors etc. want it finished asap and preferably on time). But as this requires £££££ as we're / Club are not the Client then they can't give out information that is incorrect.

Sadly, everyone is in the hands of Derry City Council.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm
Posts: 885
@Joe

Quote:
The club had a game at Moyola Park last Wednesday night .... it would have taken the club 2 minutes to let the fans know

My opinion on that is that maybe the coaching team didn't want the distraction of fans at a preseason game. It would explain why many were played in Dublin.

Quote:
some people will not allow any criticism of the club whatsoever

When it's warranted, fine. I think a lot of it isn't, it's just moaning for the sake of it.

Quote:
But if we ever want to improve, sometimes change needs to happen, people take to listen and accept advice and even criticism at times. But it seems to be the club is always very reactionary about a lot of things, instead of being proactive for a change.

I agree 100%. But that wasn't the issue here. In the vacuum that is preseason, there is little information to be given out (I've already said my piece about friendlies, trialists etc). In terms of being proactive, of course the club needs to improve. If the club has no information to give out, create something.

Quote:
We have a great opportunity with us moving back into a refurbished Brandywell, .... try and entice maybe an extra 200 fans a week

This is key. What happens on social media between now and then is quite irrelevant. There's a new Brandywell and people will go for a nosey, if nothing else. For the first home game (whenever it is), everything needs to be on point. We need the fans at full tilt, the big screen at max usage. We need an MC on the pitch before KO and at HT to create the atmosphere - and we need that every week. Don't do that and we lose those 200 for the following match. Guaranteed.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 am
Posts: 1229
PauliAlonso wrote:
@Joe

Quote:
The club had a game at Moyola Park last Wednesday night .... it would have taken the club 2 minutes to let the fans know

My opinion on that is that maybe the coaching team didn't want the distraction of fans at a preseason game. It would explain why many were played in Dublin.

Quote:
some people will not allow any criticism of the club whatsoever

When it's warranted, fine. I think a lot of it isn't, it's just moaning for the sake of it.

Quote:
But if we ever want to improve, sometimes change needs to happen, people take to listen and accept advice and even criticism at times. But it seems to be the club is always very reactionary about a lot of things, instead of being proactive for a change.

I agree 100%. But that wasn't the issue here. In the vacuum that is preseason, there is little information to be given out (I've already said my piece about friendlies, trialists etc). In terms of being proactive, of course the club needs to improve. If the club has no information to give out, create something.

Quote:
We have a great opportunity with us moving back into a refurbished Brandywell, .... try and entice maybe an extra 200 fans a week

This is key. What happens on social media between now and then is quite irrelevant. There's a new Brandywell and people will go for a nosey, if nothing else. For the first home game (whenever it is), everything needs to be on point. We need the fans at full tilt, the big screen at max usage. We need an MC on the pitch before KO and at HT to create the atmosphere - and we need that every week. Don't do that and we lose those 200 for the following match. Guaranteed.


And if you don't tell anyone where you are playing then you wont even have a crowd, and that's a Rafa Beneitez FACT!!!

Joe is bang on point! Well said


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 4819
To be honest, I would say many fans have zero interest in the pre-season kickabouts, let alone have any interest in going to watch them.
They are for the manager to judge fitness, trialists, tactics etc. I trust the manager to try to have it all sorted by the start of the season. But I ain't travelling around the country to watch it.

But the one about us not playing our 1st scheduled home game at home does worry me. We should be told asap.


Top 
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 pm
Posts: 919
If the pre-season games where at home then fair enough, its the Club's responsibility to inform the public and get a few quid in through the tunrstyles. But these are 3rd rate pre-season friendlies often cancelled at the last minute and often a bit of a farce. I don't blame the club for keeping a low profile at this events. These are not too different from training games / sessions and the club doesn't advertise those. Plus, you don't want to encourage scouts from other teams along to check our unsigned trialists in case they prove to be a cut above. Then we lose out as we can't compete with anyone on wages. So its lose lose on the friendly front if you start getting people to attend games in Jan and Feb.


Top 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:06 am
Posts: 4819
Talking of friendlies, anyone have any idea how Shamrock Rovers got invited/into the Atlantic Cup in Portugal?

Something like that would be a great start to preseason and a better test to get the players up to speed. I worry that a lot of our preseason friendlies are against very low level teams and are poor enough preparation.


Top 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
First Team
First Team

Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:51 am
Posts: 178
To Marcoloco


On this forum - other members have mentioned that the club have been in touch with the FAI directly about switching the first home game of the season and possibly the second too.

Therefore the club is aware that there is a delay, but yet are failing to tell/update the fans.

If the Sligo game is to be switched, I believe fans should be made aware of the earliest opportunity of this to enable them to make transport/travel plans etc.

I am also aware that some exile fans are planning to travel to Derry for the Sligo home game - surely these decent fans should be told now if that game is not going to take place in Derry ?

Surely the fans matter ? No ?


Top 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline
First Team
First Team

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:39 am
Posts: 149
Any chance of the club giving us a bit of clarity on this one? The season starts next week and some of us have a bit of planning to to do before we can make it to the games. I know it hasn’t been in the clubs best interest of late to keep the fans informed but this is taking the c*nt now.


Top 
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Manager
Manager

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:23 pm
Posts: 817
marcoloco wrote:
Joe >

"It really doesn't matter if the club own or lease the Brandywell - we play our home games there, we need as many people as possible attending home games/buying season tickets - therefore information about when our first home game will be - I would think is pretty much essential."

It actually matters massively. As tenants they can't influence the speed of works in any way. They pay a rent to play there. They don't own it. They dont pay for the works. Nor do they instruct the building contractor. Hence, how can they give out information on home games if they are in the dark themselves and can't influence the completion date?

As you say, season tickets sales may be influenced by the completion date. So it stands to reason that everyone related to the Club (players, manager, supporters, sponsors etc. want it finished asap and preferably on time). But as this requires £££££ as we're / Club are not the Client then they can't give out information that is incorrect.

Sadly, everyone is in the hands of Derry City Council.


marcopolo, of course the board can't influence the completion date, but i would have thought the boards job is to be the fans link to the council. Surely the board are in contact with the council, for them not to be, would be poor in their part. and if they are in contact with the council why have they not made any statement via, this site, papers or the media? Not to have done so is a dereliction of duty.


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 72 of 94 [ 1877 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 94  Next




Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News


Who is online

Registered users: No registered users

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron