Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

gary wrote:
MariborKev wrote:
Surely those monies(rent etc) would just go to the Council?
Thats an interesting one Kev, if the council are charging the club significant rent for match days
Surely any subsequent rental \ services could \ should go to the club to off set the rental.

If DCFC are not playing and bringing all the fans into the ground, there is no sale
of confectionery \ tea \ coffee etc
It would depend on the contract the club has with the council (assuming they have one !).

For example - if you hire a bar for your birthday party and bring all the people there, you usually don't get to keep the bar receipts.

Hopefully it's the same deal as with the bar, which I believe is organised by Derry City (?)

Logistically it would make most sense for the club to be the ones dealing with the catering/shops etc on matchdays, as they have the direct interest and also the match schedule is fluid. Plus the sums involved would be tiny for the council but helpful for DCFC.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

stevebradley wrote:
gary wrote:
MariborKev wrote:
Surely those monies(rent etc) would just go to the Council?
Thats an interesting one Kev, if the council are charging the club significant rent for match days
Surely any subsequent rental \ services could \ should go to the club to off set the rental.

If DCFC are not playing and bringing all the fans into the ground, there is no sale
of confectionery \ tea \ coffee etc
It would depend on the contract the club has with the council (assuming they have one !).

For example - if you hire a bar for your birthday party and bring all the people there, you usually don't get to keep the bar receipts.

Hopefully it's the same deal as with the bar, which I believe is organised by Derry City (?)

Logistically it would make most sense for the club to be the ones dealing with the catering/shops etc on matchdays, as they have the direct interest and also the match schedule is fluid. Plus the sums involved would be tiny for the council but helpful for DCFC.
Good point on booking a birthday party in a bar.

Burny89

Post by Burny89 »

Maybe that's why there is a extra charge to use the bar? Council keep the takings so Derry wanted to make some money out of it so charged extra for access

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

derry_bhoy17 wrote:The worst bit about the whole stadium is the glaring emptiness behind both nets. Its really poor looking when you see it on tv. Surely it would not be too costly to stick up to small shed type stands behind either net to make it look like a proper football stadium.

Ps. We need a score board or some reference to the time and score.
All brilliant ideas, 100% correct.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

Bring back the scoreboard. Getting harder to keep track lol

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

A big interactive screen would be great to place behind the goal. You could show hightlights, goals, DCFC news, adverts, team selection all as part of the pre-match build up and then a scoreboard during the game. Advertisement revenue would help cover some of the costs...

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

marcoloco wrote:A big interactive screen would be great to place behind the goal. You could show hightlights, goals, DCFC news, adverts, team selection all as part of the pre-match build up and then a scoreboard during the game. Advertisement revenue would help cover some of the costs...
Screen is a costly item that may not give a financial benefit to the club who aren't in a position fork out for it. What are rental costs?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Would like a scoreboard but doesn't need to be too fancy. Always liked the scoreboard they had at Highbury (not the big screen). Might look nice on one of the stands (particularly in photos which take in the pitch).

Adam Quigley

Post by Adam Quigley »

marcoloco wrote:A big interactive screen would be great to place behind the goal. You could show hightlights, goals, DCFC news, adverts, team selection all as part of the pre-match build up and then a scoreboard during the game. Advertisement revenue would help cover some of the costs...
The one we had for a few seasons was great. What happened to it ?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Adam Quigley wrote:
The one we had for a few seasons was great. What happened to it ?
No idea but did the job!

It also reported goals from around the grounds which was a good feature also...

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I was talking to Nathan who operated that screen and he said the club was unsure where to put it. He was hopeful it would return

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

TenaciousDee wrote:I was talking to Nathan who operated that screen and he said the club was unsure where to put it. He was hopeful it would return

Maybe the two big gaping bits of land behind either net?

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

derry_bhoy17 wrote:
TenaciousDee wrote:I was talking to Nathan who operated that screen and he said the club was unsure where to put it. He was hopeful it would return

Think it would need to be on concrete for vehicle access, so it would need to be the Showgrounds end.

Not sure if the little path that runs behind the Showgrounds end goal would be wide enough to accommodate it, so it would need to go in front of Greyhound track wall which is quite far back and probably too far away for majority of crowd to see and read it.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

derry_bhoy17 wrote:

You couldn't put it at the Brandywell Road end because of the small hill. Also I don't think there is anywhere to drive it in and out at that end without going across the pitch. I don't think the council would allow it on the grass at the Showgrounds end and it can't sit on the path because it will block access to an emergency exit.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

From highlights on Soccer Republic, it looks like the poles impede tv view a little when ball is near corner flags at Mark Farren side.

Hopefully won't be too big an issue for Pats match for the live tv debut of the new redevelopment.

Conka

Post by Conka »

rodgers wrote:From highlights on Soccer Republic, it looks like the poles impede tv view a little when ball is near corner flags at Mark Farren side.

Hopefully won't be too big an issue for Pats match for the live tv debut of the new redevelopment.
Feckin lamposts are a huge design flaw. I raised this several times during construction, was assured they were temporary. Absolutley no need for them as there is already too much light on that side of the ground.

Also on the Stute issue, I believe Institute were prepared to offer us the use of their stadium but isn't there some rule abour ground sharing in different footballing juristictions? Not 100% tho. Or as someone else mentioned the YMCA had final say on it perhaps?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

In European Competition we would be unable to use a ground outside of our league's jurisdiction because, believe it or not, Solitude was explored as an option for the European Tie.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

rodgers wrote:From highlights on Soccer Republic, it looks like the poles impede tv view a little when ball is near corner flags at Mark Farren side.

Whilst on the subject of the televised Pats match, can we remove the practice goal nets that sit on the little grass embankment behind Brandywell Road net?

An absolute pet hate of mine when I see televised football and a pile of goal nets have been thrown into a corner of the ground - totally amateur looking and something you expect to see at Leafair, Magee, etc.

Also, might be a good idea to get more flags to cover the dull wall behind the Brandywell Road end as it looks awful on TV :)

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

KEVK wrote:

Whilst on the subject of the televised Pats match, can we remove the practice goal nets that sit on the little grass embankment behind Brandywell Road net?

An absolute pet hate of mine when I see televised football and a pile of goal nets have been thrown into a corner of the ground - totally amateur looking and something you expect to see at Leafair, Magee, etc.

Also, might be a good idea to get more flags to cover the dull wall behind the Brandywell Road end as it looks awful on TV :)
Why not commission a wall mural - could be something simple. Paint section of the wall white. Black letters 'McBride *5' - would be a nice touch and at the right end of the ground. Can be totally separate to the naming consultation.

Kellz

Post by Kellz »

l met several people with wains at the two home matches who were giving off that they couldn't buy sweets or even a cup of tea. Surely this is basic stuff. I could understand it at the first match, after all they only had 18 months to prepare. But that should have been sorted for the second. Instead there were two mobile chippy vans that struggled to cope with demand & several people like myself walking around looking for a hot drink & a bar of chocolate.
Yes, the new stand is impressive but if I have to piss in a portakabin then surely i could buy a Mars Bar in one......just not the same Portakabin.