Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
fish-head

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by fish-head »

for me, def keep the name the brandywell with the stands named after ryan and mark.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Bear wrote:I personally do not think the Brandywell should be renamed after any particular player.

Respective stands are one possibility but what do we do in the future if this precedent is set ?
If any similar tragedies befall one of our players in the future we cannot give them equal recognition to that given to Mark or Ryan.

I would therefore suggest something along the lines of the Monument Park that NY Yankees have at Yankee Stadium.

This would give a dedicated area to pay tribute to heroes of the past and could have Ryan and Mark as deserving centre pieces.

Given the layout of the refurbished ground there are good areas behind either goal for such an area.
I would agree with this and the mural wall is an excellent idea.

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

I'm fully behind the proposal. We are moving back after a year out, we lost our captain and someone who lived so close to the stadium. The Brandywell to me defines the area, not the stadium and those who use it. I'd rather we moved elsewhere but a re-brand with our captains name is a fitting tribute. My only concern is that the scrotes who cause bother on match nights will bring Ryan's name into disrepute when it's reported in the media or maybe they may show some respect to his name and respect those who use the ground?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

As nice a tribute it would be to rename the stadium after Ryan it may be a wasted gesture because people who grew up using the stadium or in the city/country will still call it the Brandywell or the brandy. Some will make a conscious effort to use the name but with many when you spent your whole life calling a place by one name you struggle to move on and call it by its current name. Supervalu/Wellworths come to mind. When these people say "same thing" when challenged about the name they will be seen as disrespectful to the man's memory when in truth its just human nature to stick with familiarity. How many of you call it John "Ugg" Clifford Park and not Bull Park? If we did a poll I reckon most will report they still call it Bull Park because of the reason I listed above.

There are other ways to pay tribute to Ryan. It can be a mural as previously mentioned inside or outside the stadium. Alternatively name the main stand after him (we can't call it the Old New Stand).

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Tenacious. You have submitted a reasoned ,gentle piece so full of respect. Yes I will always think and say "the Brandy" but mean no disrespect. Many people's lives revolved around this place, how many times we have stood in respect as loved players and fans passed on . I some years ago mooted the idea of a memorial wall subscribed by relatives with the names of past loved ones who loved Derry City (like my own brother Chris who passed away some year ago) inthe form of memorial bricks e.g. . I think this would be a lovely thing to mark our new home and of course Ryan Mark and other great players would be especially honoured in a fitting way .
this to us older fans is our spiritual home and I hope that a very suitable memorial can be worked out.

mjkealey

Post by mjkealey »

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

The link posted above by mjkealey shows the new stand looking great.

I've also heard that there are going to be new facilities for supporters to enjoy. The whole thing looks more professional already.

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

Chalkie wrote:The link posted above by mjkealey shows the new stand looking great.

I've also heard that there are going to be new facilities for supporters to enjoy. The whole thing looks more professional already.
Totally disagree, we've been sold a pup and there is not one politician that will (have the balls) to come on this forum and and agree with me. This stadium is awful. Discuss. (Look at the original plans).
Not even a 4G pitch but a 3G pitch, says it all.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

davy_g wrote:
Chalkie wrote:The link posted above by mjkealey shows the new stand looking great.

Totally disagree, we've been sold a pup and there is not one politician that will (have the balls) to come on this forum and and agree with me. This stadium is awful. Discuss. (Look at the original plans).
Not even a 4G pitch but a 3G pitch, says it all.
I may be wrong but i read somewhere that their is no such thing as a 4g pitch, just different levels of 3g.

fergal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by fergal »

True. No such thing as 4g

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Just reading the Journal i have to say i'm disgusted to see SF taking all credit that's going for the work being done at the Brandywell.

Mr McCartney said, “We are very pleased at the role we have played in this over the years. Along the way there were naysayers, but we always said keep focused, it can be delivered, and when you come and visit the site you can clearly see we are on the cusp of delivery. I look forward to seeing it when it opens and the club flourish now they are in Europe next year.”

They seem delighted to take the credit for getting us a plastic pitch, a bit of painting or something to the old stand, and of course, a Glentoran Stand Mark II. I think the whole cost for the work including the doggie track, a new state of the art playground was about £5 m, yet SF played a huge part in spending about £130 m on 3 grounds in Belfast. They've wasted several million on Casement Park, more than what it has cost the entire improvements to the Brandywell, and they haven't even started it yet And here they are thumping their chests at how they have got us a wonderful stadium. Celtic Park wouldn't have settled for tiny stand stuck in the middle of some terracing.

On a different note, how and when did Dodie McGuinness get the general managers job.

How's that for rewriting our history. We would have had nothing only for SF. Bunch of hypocrites.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/brandy ... -1-8211175

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

To be fair to Raymond, he pays to get in and attends more matches than any other politician I know...

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

pmac wrote:Just reading the Journal i have to say i'm disgusted to see SF taking all credit that's going for the work being done at the Brandywell.

Mr McCartney said, “We are very pleased at the role we have played in this over the years. Along the way there were naysayers, but we always said keep focused, it can be delivered, and when you come and visit the site you can clearly see we are on the cusp of delivery. I look forward to seeing it when it opens and the club flourish now they are in Europe next year.”

They seem delighted to take the credit for getting us a plastic pitch, a bit of painting or something to the old stand, and of course, a Glentoran Stand Mark II. I think the whole cost for the work including the doggie track, a new state of the art playground was about £5 m, yet SF played a huge part in spending about £130 m on 3 grounds in Belfast. They've wasted several million on Casement Park, more than what it has cost the entire improvements to the Brandywell, and they haven't even started it yet And here they are thumping their chests at how they have got us a wonderful stadium. Celtic Park wouldn't have settled for tiny stand stuck in the middle of some terracing.

On a different note, how and when did Dodie McGuinness get the general managers job.

How's that for rewriting our history. We would have had nothing only for SF. Bunch of hypocrites.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/brandy ... -1-8211175
You having a bad day?

DCFC09

Post by DCFC09 »

Quite a bit of press about the stadium recently but 'phase 2' never seems to be mentioned anymore which worries me that this is our lot.

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

also to be fair to raymond mccartney, it seems like he is referring to 'we' as the council.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Is he a councillor?

This is up there with Fran Gavin claiming credit for the FAI for Dundalk's European run last year. Although that was actually something to be proud of.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

People should be getting the blame for this and not looking for credit

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

rodgers wrote:Is he a councillor?

This is up there with Fran Gavin claiming credit for the FAI for Dundalk's European run last year. Although that was actually something to be proud of.
He is a MLA Rodgers.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

Politicians fall over themselves for credit on this type of stuff.

Like the time that another member of their party claimed credit for the Brandywell when it was Daisyfield plan announced. On that note, they don't seem as keen to crow about that.....

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

fish-head wrote:also to be fair to raymond mccartney, it seems like he is referring to 'we' as the council.
You can be quite sure that when Mr McCartney refers to 'we' you can be sure he's referring specifically to SF, whose part in bringing a decent stadium to the city of Derry is diabolical.