Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by marcoloco »

pmac wrote:Like i said earlier the Brandywell is looking well. But the seats in the Southend stand are filthy and take the whole look away from the place. For some reason the front two rows of seats have been replace with spring up seats, similar to the new stand, and if all seats had been replaced with them then the place would have looked brilliant. Unfortunately all the seats where the away suppourters sat are all now coloured white.
Maybe they've done that for a reason - separation?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

I got the following response from the Council this morning:
Thank you for your email of 21st February and apologies for the delay in responding.

Work on the redevelopment of the £7m Brandywell Stadium and Regeneration Project has progressed well in recent weeks with this week’s dry weather offering a welcome opportunity to advance the laying of the 3G pitch. The contractors are pulling out all the stops to have the facility completed for Derry City’s home game with Dundalk on 2nd March subject to reasonable weather conditions and the approval of our stakeholder’s event safety and stadium licensing documentation.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

So that's a 'maybe'.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Derry City Council had a meeting last night and “it’s all systems go” for the Dundalk game. The pitch is laid, goals erected and tarnac complete. Maybe finer details still outstanding such as the bar or communication room but nothing to stop the game going ahead.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

barry wrote:Derry City Council had a meeting last night and “it’s all systems go” for the Dundalk game. The pitch is laid, goals erected and tarnac complete. Maybe finer details still outstanding such as the bar or communication room but nothing to stop the game going ahead.
Have they got their license though ? Nothing can go ahead until that's been issued.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

stevebradley wrote:
barry wrote:Derry City Council had a meeting last night and “it’s all systems go” for the Dundalk game. The pitch is laid, goals erected and tarnac complete. Maybe finer details still outstanding such as the bar or communication room but nothing to stop the game going ahead.
Have they got their license though ? Nothing can go ahead until that's been issued.
I suspect they do if they plan to use the stadium next week. I know a lot of stuff has already been passed In stages and plans for the remaining works to be signed off off on Tuesday.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

I hear some parents are bringing their young children, not mine, for the first time to the revamped brandywell, so I hope I'll be on my best behaviour, verbally. If we can retain these prospective new support can we give them a wow factor, such as the Iceland fans performed at the 2014 World Cup to entertain them as well as ourselves.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

johnm wrote:I hear some parents are bringing their young children, not mine, for the first time to the revamped brandywell, so I hope I'll be on my best behaviour, verbally. If we can retain these prospective new support can we give them a wow factor, such as the Iceland fans performed at the 2014 World Cup to entertain them as well as ourselves.
There's young kids at every game. But agree - whilst some of the banter is great some of it is foul and abusive. Fine line between good craic and just hurling Fs, Bs Cs at anyone.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

so when do the tickets go on sale?

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

Any word on terrace tickets?

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

A really great video here, Congratulations to all involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

A very informative video. But why oh why have we orange seats, instead of red.

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8393598

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

pmac wrote:A really great video here, Congratulations to all involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... pp=desktop

A very informative video. But why oh why have we orange seats, instead of red.

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/foot ... -1-8393598
Looking for a bite?

mark_d

Post by mark_d »

There looks to be a lot of plain white walls inside and outside of the newly redeveloped stand, along the corridors and at the tunnel etc. I think it would be a brilliant idea to add some Derry City or red & white inspired themes/murals on these walls. Ideas could include successful teams like the 89 treble winners, or past players and club legends such as Mark Farren, Ryan McBride, Liam Coyle etc.

Try to make it as intimidating as possible for opposition teams, whilst on the other hand making it inspiring for our players without being too cheesy.

I know that technically the council own the ground etc, but surely they would have no objection if the club wanted to do something like this.

da-gama
Reserves
Reserves

Post by da-gama »

Fair play to the journal/kev for that video. Very informative. Well done

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Some great preview videos and behind the scenes from local media but why can they not provide a balanced report on the 'New Brandywell'?

Yes, parts of the new stand are fantastic, but it's embarrassing how the 'New Brandywell' is being portrayed in the media and shows how small-time we have become.

Rant over :)
Last edited by KEVK on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Looks really well.

Can't wait now for Friday.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

KEVK wrote:Some great preview videos and behind the scenes from local media but why can they not provide a balanced report on the 'New Brandywell'.

Yes, parts of the new stand are fantastic, but it's embarrassing how the 'New Brandywell' is being portrayed in the media and shows how small-time we have become.

Remind me when we were big time? Lets be honest if we got a stand that seated 3000 we would struggle to fill it, never mind fill the opposite stand as well. Friday we may get a crowd of 3000 but as I always point out Derry is an event town. People will go on Friday so they can post on social media that they were there then once the trend dies they'll not be back until we are in the hunt. We are small time, have been for 20 years, lets not kid ourselves.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

TenaciousDee wrote:
KEVK wrote:Some great preview videos and behind the scenes from local media but why can they not provide a balanced report on the 'New Brandywell'.

Remind me when we were big time? Lets be honest if we got a stand that seated 3000 we would struggle to fill it, never mind fill the opposite stand as well. Friday we may get a crowd of 3000 but as I always point out Derry is an event town. People will go on Friday so they can post on social media that they were there then once the trend dies they'll not be back until we are in the hunt. We are small time, have been for 20 years, lets not kid ourselves.
You're spot on about Derry being an event town, and that's what the Club should be tapping into and making each match an 'event'.

Far easier to market an 'event' when you have good facilities that create a good atmosphere, but I'm not sure how good an atmosphere we can create in a stadium that is half complete with wide open spaces.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Before the new stand was built we couldn't fashion an atmosphere either. The atmosphere at games over the years have been reminiscent of pre-season friendlies. Our best atmospheres have been away when our support is put together as one group not scattered clusters of 10-20. With a second complete stand this won't change and we still couldn't fill them.

I understand what you mean about the marketing and we have always heard from some in the board it can't be done in the old facility. Let's see what happens now but a bigger stand without the demand will make the atmosphere as bad if not worse than it already is.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

Terrace tickets????