Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by marcoloco »

I can understand both arguments here...

The Brandywell is not World Class.

However, in the LoI its now (post-refurbishment) one of the best grounds for viewing football. And that's even without the extra wings on the new stand.

The surface is now flat and incorporates cutting age technology, the flood lights are excellent (when all turned on) and set back so no obstructing views of the pitch. Neither stand obstructs views of the pitch and there now large changing rooms, bar area etc - much needed.

I would be great so see something happen behind the goals - even terraced, uncovered standing areas which would be great for the odd occasion when we've got a massive game.

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

Pod said you can walk around the whole pictch on radio so maybe it can be used

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

With 10 days to go, does anyone know if the game against Dundalk will be going ahead at the Brandywell?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Nothing officially announced but I was over on Sunday and from what I could see there were a few things still to complete.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

It seems that we will again be the last people to find out what's happening.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

rodgers wrote:With 10 days to go, does anyone know if the game against Dundalk will be going ahead at the Brandywell?
Today the FAI sent out Fixtures via email up to March 3rd and the game is still listed for the Brandywell.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thanks. I also emailed the Council this afternoon but haven't heard anything back yet.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote:Nothing officially announced but I was over on Sunday and from what I could see there were a few things still to complete.
The issuing of a public venue license for the stadium is the key thing, as it can't open until that happens.

I think the council is the issuing body (?) but this needs to be planned in for early next week at the latest, to enable time for any issues identified to be rectified.

It's also usual for new stadia to have test events to ensure that they can cope with the capacity, but I'm not sure if that's the case for a part-rebuilt stadium and/or one with our small capacity.

In short - time is ticking on all of this. I suspect the absence of confirmation that the Dundalk game will definitely be at home is because no-one can say that for certain at this stage that it will be.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

stevebradley wrote:
TenaciousDee wrote:Nothing officially announced but I was over on Sunday and from what I could see there were a few things still to complete.
The issuing of a public venue license for the stadium is the key thing, as it can't open until that happens.

I think the council is the issuing body (?) but this needs to be planned in for early next week at the latest, to enable time for any issues identified to be rectified.

It's also usual for new stadia to have test events to ensure that they can cope with the capacity, but I'm not sure if that's the case for a part-rebuilt stadium and/or one with our small capacity.

In short - time is ticking on all of this. I suspect the absence of confirmation that the Dundalk game will definitely be at home is because no-one can say that for certain at this stage that it will be.
I would have thought the same. They can't just finish up on the day and open the turnstiles that night. I assume there are also some FAI licensing requirements that have to be gone through too.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Again we are being kept in the dark, do we not matter????

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

What about the hazardous waste there that the Council say is harmless?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

What about it? It's been there for decades. Its harmless... unless your thinking of sorting it.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

brandyball wrote:What about the hazardous waste there that the Council say is harmless?
Was it not removed?

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Was over today looking at the Brandy i have to say it is looking well. However i notice there is no advertisement hoardings around the pitch or sponsor boards/posters shown anywhere in the ground, Are we missing out in potential income?

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

marcoloco wrote:What about it? It's been there for decades. Its harmless... unless your thinking of sorting it.
Wonder why it's Hazardous then?

doll

Post by doll »

pmac wrote:Was over today looking at the Brandy i have to say it is looking well. However i notice there is no advertisement hoardings around the pitch or sponsor boards/posters shown anywhere in the ground, Are we missing out in potential income?
I would presume that the whole site is still in the 'ownership' of the contractor so advertising boards would not yet be in place.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:What about it? It's been there for decades. Its harmless... unless your thinking of sorting it.
Wonder why it's Hazardous then?
There's oil deposits still in the soil left over from the former industrial uses on the site.

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

Tar waste is not now a problem Seemed to be an old tank in showgrounds near exit at Anne Street Was not in stadium pitch

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Like i said earlier the Brandywell is looking well. But the seats in the Southend stand are filthy and take the whole look away from the place. For some reason the front two rows of seats have been replace with spring up seats, similar to the new stand, and if all seats had been replaced with them then the place would have looked brilliant. Unfortunately all the seats where the away suppourters sat are all now coloured white.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Stadium will be ready for Dundalk game.