Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
brendy_éire

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by brendy_éire »

rodgers wrote:Perhaps shareholders might get a chance to vote on it at AGM.
That's a sensible suggestion.
stevebradley wrote:And the fact that the Foundation said that the views of local people were more important than the fans suggests that they know they don't have majority backing from supporters. Otherwise why would they have said it ?
I take real issue with this argument of theirs. The Brandywell is a municipal asset, the views of the people of the Brandywell are as relevant anyone else in the council area (which includes parts of Tyrone these days, mind).

There's been an outright refusal from the RMBF to contemplate any suggestions of a tribute other than the one they're demanding. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of citizens are against the move, I can't say for sure as there's been no public consultation done on this. This is essentially a small group of people attempting, sometimes using pretty unpleasant tactics (especially on social media), to force this through ASAP, before people start asking too many questions or thinking about the consequences.

I'm surprised that some councillors are willing to go along with this. They're really opening a can of worms if they allow council facilities to be renamed by the local community surrounding it. It'd be worth bearing in this example in mind: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20767992.

Conka

Post by Conka »

cousin kev wrote:Good to see that POD has backed the name change of the ground to honour Ryan,and his confirmation that phase 2 of the development is "shovel ready"
To get the Mark Farren stand completed and the ground looking like a proper football stadium would be the best tribute to Ryan and Mark.
Fair play Philip

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

passed today and noticed a few rows of new seats at front of Southend stand being installed. I believe it adds to a general upgrade of sorts for this stand which I've observed over a period - hopefully I'm right. Also things looking good.
Doesn't look like new stand will get 'sides' on to protect from weather (people had enquired last year).

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

gary wrote:
DC-2010 wrote:Think he should be staying out of such discussions tbh
Why?

As Chairman of the club, a pretty fanatical fan, and someone who has hugely backed the club financially through think and thin?
If he isnt entitled to an opinion, who on earth is????
Ratepayers are the only people whose opinion should be canvassed. The ratepayers pay for the stadium so they should decide, not the Council, not an individual, and not a group.

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

gary wrote:the Manager, Chairman and local players clearly want the change
When did the team Manager or the players say they wanted the stadium's name changed? I've been told that the exact opposite is true.

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

Chalkie wrote:
gary wrote:
DC-2010 wrote:Think he should be staying out of such discussions tbh
Why?

As Chairman of the club, a pretty fanatical fan, and someone who has hugely backed the club financially through think and thin?
If he isnt entitled to an opinion, who on earth is????
Ratepayers are the only people whose opinion should be canvassed. The ratepayers pay for the stadium so they should decide, not the Council, not an individual, and not a group.
I'm a ratepayer..F*ck the ratepayers..the vast majority don't set foot into the brandywell. they don't have a say. the same way I don't have a say on the other council facilities I don't use, but help pay for anyways. I've had discussions with other "ratepayers" who were/are under the illusion that we/they bailed DCFC out from the times they went under with their rates......CLOWNS!!!

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

kitwe wrote:passed today and noticed a few rows of new seats at front of Southend stand being installed. I believe it adds to a general upgrade of sorts for this stand which I've observed over a period - hopefully I'm right. Also things looking good.
Doesn't look like new stand will get 'sides' on to protect from weather (people had enquired last year).
SF had agreed phase 2 funding before Stormount collapsed. I believe once government back in place then phase 2 can start. Reading comments by POD during the week he believes the same.
Last edited by adydcfc on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

Chalkie wrote:
gary wrote:the Manager, Chairman and local players clearly want the change
When did the team Manager or the players say they wanted the stadium's name changed? I've been told that the exact opposite is true.
Kenny Shield on with Eric White sports programe yesterday morn said he backed the name change.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

adydcfc wrote:
kitwe wrote:passed today and noticed a few rows of new seats at front of Southend stand being installed. I believe it adds to a general upgrade of sorts for this stand which I've observed over a period - hopefully I'm right. Also things looking good.
SF had agreed phase 2 funding before Stormount collapsed. I believe once government back in place then phase 2 can start. Reading comments by POD during the week he believes the same.
I think all we had on this was an assurance from Martin McGuinness that the funding would happen. But in the time since then, the political world has changed completely in NI.

The theory at the time was that this was all predicated on a deal between McGuinness and Robinson for the Brandywell and Oval to get a large chunk of the regional stadiums funding. Both those individuals are no longer involved in NI politics. And that was before any such agreement would inevitably have faced challenge from Irish League clubs feeling they should have got funding too.

Most importantly - there is no government to allocate funding in NI, and no sign that we'll be getting one any time soon. Maybe the civil service will allocate the funding in the absence of one, but I suspect there'll just be more inertia on things like this for a while instead.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

stevebradley wrote:
adydcfc wrote:
I think all we had on this was an assurance from Martin McGuinness that the funding would happen. But in the time since then, the political world has changed completely in NI.

The theory at the time was that this was all predicated on a deal between McGuinness and Robinson for the Brandywell and Oval to get a large chunk of the regional stadiums funding. Both those individuals are no longer involved in NI politics. And that was before any such agreement would inevitably have faced challenge from Irish League clubs feeling they should have got funding too.

Most importantly - there is no government to allocate funding in NI, and no sign that we'll be getting one any time soon. Maybe the civil service will allocate the funding in the absence of one, but I suspect there'll just be more inertia on things like this for a while instead.
Steve i would say it's a safe bet that the Glens will get their £10m for a new stadium before we see the last pieces of the new stand in place.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

pmac wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
adydcfc wrote:

Steve i would say it's a safe bet that the Glens will get their £10m for a new stadium before we see the last pieces of the new stand in place.
It probably depnds on how much of a threat the DUP see the Alliance as posing for them in East Belfast.

At the time that Robinson was keen to do a deal for a new Glens ground, Naomi Long was the MP for East Belfast - and it was a running humiliation for the DUP. They won the seat back by 2,500 votes in 2015, and upped their majority to 6,500 in 2017, so are in danger of assuming they've got East Belfast sewn-up again after the hatchet job they did on Long over flegs. Which would probably reduce the political case/urgency for a new Glens' ground.

city till i die 89

Post by city till i die 89 »

Same could be said about SF and the Brandywell could have used it as a football to get the city from the SDLP

supremo

Post by supremo »

Driving past today - believe it or not they were watering the pitch

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

adydcfc wrote:
Surely the glass sides should have been on this stage of funding?

Whats the logic of having parts needed for 1st phase of the new stand included in the 2nd stage of funding, with likely years between the two dates?

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

city till i die 89 wrote:Same could be said about SF and the Brandywell could have used it as a football to get the city from the SDLP
The SDLP held the reigns to this city for as long as the campaign to get the Brandywell refurbished and never did a thing....Unfortunately,for a while we had Belfast SF holding the reigns for a while and never did a thing.wasnt until Derry SF finally got the message that things progressed,sorta.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

cousin kev wrote:
city till i die 89 wrote:Same could be said about SF and the Brandywell could have used it as a football to get the city from the SDLP
The SDLP held the reigns to this city for as long as the campaign to get the Brandywell refurbished and never did a thing....Unfortunately,for a while we had Belfast SF holding the reigns for a while and never did a thing.wasnt until Derry SF finally got the message that things progressed,sorta.
I believe all our representatives have let Derry down very badly, especially regarding the Brandywell stadium. However under the SDLP we got one of the best stands in the LOI ie the Southend stand. Now we've got another Glentoran stand mark2 and a plastic pitch. If i was a public representative i wouldn't be doing too much crowing.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

pmac wrote:
cousin kev wrote:
I believe all our representatives have let Derry down very badly, especially regarding the Brandywell stadium. However under the SDLP we got one of the best stands in the LOI ie the Southend stand. Now we've got another Glentoran stand mark2 and a plastic pitch. If i was a public representative i wouldn't be doing too much crowing.
Phil O'Doherty said on Radio Foyle the Glentoran stand held 300 while the new stand will hold 1,000!

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

pmac wrote:
cousin kev wrote:
One of our MLAs described it in the media as "amazing" and "a world class facility".

They can't have seen much of the world.

It's 'good enough for Derry' I suppose.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

When I started going to matches I was in awe in the brandywell, at not the ground but the crowd, the buzz, the roar and the mix of support. I'm looking forward to a new season and hope the crowd give same lift to new young supporters as I got when I first set foot in the ground.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Heard Liam Coyle on Radio Foyle today saying he wasn't in favour of renaming the stadium after Ryan, and he's from the Brandywell.