Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stutefc

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stutefc »

danny hale wrote:Will institute fans feel comfortable with going to Brandywell - I hope so , I know there's not many . Will any DCFC fans go to games ?
Yes it's 2018....not the 80's

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

stutefc wrote:
danny hale wrote:Will institute fans feel comfortable with going to Brandywell - I hope so , I know there's not many . Will any DCFC fans go to games ?
Yes it's 2018....not the 80's
We know it is, but when you look at the country as a whole, with political parties arguing over nonsense, petrol bombs being thrown at security forces last week, paramilitary marches etc, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was still the 80s.

These events and the general atmosphere could make some Stute fans wary about coming to the area to watch their team.

stutefc

Post by stutefc »

Sorry still now were near the same as the 980's, haven't spoken to any Stute fans who are worried about going to the Brnadywell

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Thats good to hear.

I hope the club have a very successful season at the Brandywell, and that the wee scrotes stay away.

Looking forward to heading over to watch them when I can.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

I think Institute's use of the Brandywell - and the return of Irish League football there for the first time in almost half a century - is a good thing for our city. The whole situation of the Brandywell being a lawless no-go zone where certain people aren't welcome because of their religion is a farce.

Fingers crossed it all goes well and everyone is left wondering what all the fuss was about.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

I'm another who wishes Stute well. I'm all for supporting our own players from the city doing well regardless of the jersey they wear.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

John Bacon wrote:I'm another who wishes Stute well. I'm all for supporting our own players from the city doing well regardless of the jersey they wear.
No excuses for not scouting northern players now... :-)

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

What’s seating capacity now? Do we get seating back from Maginn for the Europa match or borrow seating from the Stut ground that haven’t already been vandalised?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Seats at Maginn was gifted to the Inishowen League as a gesture.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:What’s seating capacity now? Do we get seating back from Maginn for the Europa match or borrow seating from the Stut ground that haven’t already been vandalised?
There's no temporary/moveable seating at Stute's ground though - it's all fixed. And it's the wrong colour too.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

The renaming of the Brandywell.

Has anybody checked to see if their vote in the survey has said that they have already voted and they have not.

Please check.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

I was able to vote twice

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

After all the debate on the size of the stand or non completion of what was suggested, does the stand meet the requirements now and in the future as we are unlikely to muster any substantial interest except when stute are playing linfield in a league decider?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Regardless of interest its about delivering something that's fit for purpose. If you always settle for 2nd best you end up with something half-arsed - like the current unfinished stand. Take your Linfield example - they play at Windsor Park. A fabulous stadium of the highest standard yet they can't even fill one-tenth of the available seats. Maybe they should move out to something more suitable for their fan base?

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

marcoloco wrote:Regardless of interest its about delivering something that's fit for purpose. If you always settle for 2nd best you end up with something half-arsed - like the current unfinished stand. Take your Linfield example - they play at Windsor Park. A fabulous stadium of the highest standard yet they can't even fill one-tenth of the available seats. Maybe they should move out to something more suitable for their fan base?
Have seen a lot of videos and photos lately from the Foyle Cup on social media and the place looks grim.

- Faded seats in Southend Park stand
- Nothing behind both nets
- Practice nets piled up all over the place in corner behind Brandywell Rd net - a pet hate of mine when you see it on a live televised game which was evident earlier in season
- Multiple portacabins
- Vast open spaces on Lone Moor Rd side
- Grim, dull colour scheme for perimeter walls
- No DCFC badges, Mark Farren name on stand or anything that identifies the Club

To think that people were lauding the 'New Brandywell' at the start of the season shows the mentality and psyche that still exists - we're grateful for the crumbs that we get and get shouted down at if we complain.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

KEVK wrote:
marcoloco wrote:Regardless of interest its about delivering something that's fit for purpose. If you always settle for 2nd best you end up with something half-arsed - like the current unfinished stand. Take your Linfield example - they play at Windsor Park. A fabulous stadium of the highest standard yet they can't even fill one-tenth of the available seats. Maybe they should move out to something more suitable for their fan base?
Have seen a lot of videos and photos lately from the Foyle Cup on social media and the place looks grim.

- Practice nets piled up all over the place in corner behind Brandywell Rd net - a pet hate of mine when you see it on a live televised game which was evident earlier in season
- Multiple portacabins
- No DCFC badges, Mark Farren name on stand or anything that identifies the Club

To think that people were lauding the 'New Brandywell' at the start of the season shows the mentality and psyche that still exists - we're grateful for the crumbs that we get and get shouted down at if we complain.
Spot on. Its a long, long way from finished though we must be grateful that a start has been made. As you point out there's lots to do (including a scoreboard / screen) before we can call it finished. I suspect that a completed MF Stand would go along way to filling the gaps. And to be fair it appears that minor works are continuing around the group albeit at a snails pace...

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

marcoloco wrote:
KEVK wrote:

- Multiple portacabins

Spot on. Its a long, long way from finished though we must be grateful that a start has been made. As you point out there's lots to do (including a scoreboard / screen) before we can call it finished. I suspect that a completed MF Stand would go along way to filling the gaps. And to be fair it appears that minor works are continuing around the group albeit at a snails pace...
Only time will tell if this is the start of a longer term project, or, the end of a short term fix that papers over the cracks.

Back in 1988, we got the 1st phase of the Southend Park terrace and within 1 year we had the wings and then it became all seated in 1992.

Different times then and we were fortunate that the Council got funding from EU back then - I'm fairy sure it was something like that.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

KEVK wrote:
marcoloco wrote:
KEVK wrote: Have seen a lot of videos and photos lately from the Foyle Cup on social media and the place looks grim.

- Multiple portacabins

Only time will tell if this is the start of a longer term project, or, the end of a short term fix that papers over the cracks.

Back in 1988, we got the 1st phase of the Southend Park terrace and within 1 year we had the wings and then it became all seated in 1992.

Different times then and we were fortunate that the Council got funding from EU back then - I'm fairy sure it was something like that.
One of our local MLAs declared the refurbished Brandywell as "World Class" when it opened in March.

That's the kind of bolox we're up against in trying to get anything improved in this city. The ordinary is presented to us constantly as both superb and at the same time all we're likely to get.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Exactly. Too many folk happy to accept 2nd best or worse still don't knowing any better. We got a cracking big, flat plastic pitch and 1/3 of a stand than runs along a side of the pitch. The remainder of the place got a lick of paint and new bells and whistles. The MLA needs to get out of Derry more...

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

stevebradley wrote:
KEVK wrote:
marcoloco wrote:[quote="KEVK

One of our local MLAs declared the refurbished Brandywell as "World Class" when it opened in March.

That's the kind of bolox we're up against in trying to get anything improved in this city. The ordinary is presented to us constantly as both superb and at the same time all we're likely to get.[/quote]

Must have been the MLA who believed a poll that is mentioned in Wikipedia when the Brandywell was voted into the top ten in the UK or maybe it was Europe. :D