Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by gary »

barry wrote:Really hope the lampposts are temporary I spent all year dodging them from the seats in maginn
They sure dont look temporary :(

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

The greyhounds may have been moved but we've been left with a dogs dinner

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

barry wrote:Really hope the lampposts are temporary I spent all year dodging them from the seats in maginn
I have a terrible feeling that those are not lampposts. I think they must be small floodlights for when members of the public rent the pitch out.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Chalkie wrote:
I have a terrible feeling that those are not lampposts. I think they must be small floodlights for when members of the public rent the pitch out.
Given where they're located from those photos, my guess is that they're there to provide light for the steps/stairs beside them.

If so - surely they could've used the roof of the stand to provide a more sensible solution ?

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Chalkie wrote:
Chalkie I think that could be the reason, it would be costly to use the proper flood lights for private use.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

The TV gantry will be in the new stand as well, is that right?

If so, will they not look atrocious for those watching including at home?

So many small things like that make the LOI look amateurish to the wider audience that it is trying to attract.

The Brandywell ought to have been the showpiece football venue not just for Derry but for the entire North West on both sides of the border.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

barry wrote:
Chalkie wrote:
Chalkie I think that could be the reason, it would be costly to use the proper flood lights for private use.
I can't see how those lampposts would floodlight a pitch though. They're not tall enough, and where are the posts to cover the other side/half of the pitch ? Plus - why would you have two lampposts located in from the pitch at the bottom of the steps to the stand if they were all about floodlighting pitches ?

The lamposts in those photos appear to all be located either next to steps or pathways. So my guess is that they're to light the way.

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

barry wrote:
Chalkie wrote:
No boys, the big floodlights will be used to light the pitch when the public is using it. This will also come at a hire rate obviously per hour. Just have to look at Bishops field, they have massive floodlights and its costs more per hour when there on to when its naturally bright.

Those small lampposts could not light a football pitch, as someone already said, they must be to light the walk ways and the steps. The one right in front of new stand is not needed as there will be already plenty of light there.

DCFC09

Post by DCFC09 »

Anyone know if this nnew stand is still due to be completed at some stage? Seems to have gone quiet. Is it being left in a way that its easy to add on the 2 wings?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

DCFC09 wrote:Anyone know if this nnew stand is still due to be completed at some stage? Seems to have gone quiet. Is it being left in a way that its easy to add on the 2 wings?
There's no Government in Stormont to allocate any funding.

There's no Martin McGuinness to deliver on the ill-judged promise he gave that the rest of the funding for Brandywell would come, even if there was a government..

And there are no Derry politicians with real senior influence in Stormont at the moment, even if a government does reappear.

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

stevebradley wrote:
DCFC09 wrote:Anyone know if this nnew stand is still due to be completed at some stage? Seems to have gone quiet. Is it being left in a way that its easy to add on the 2 wings?
There's no Government in Stormont to allocate any funding.

There's no Martin McGuinness to deliver on the ill-judged promise he gave that the rest of the funding for Brandywell would come, even if there was a government..

And there are no Derry politicians with real senior influence in Stormont at the moment, even if a government does reappear.
Steve spot on again!

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

also... why are there a set of steps with a hand railing in the middle of nowhere to the side of the newly built stand... Is terracing going to be built between the stand and the steps ?

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

My mate is a builder on the project and he told me they didn't even dig the foundations for the other two sides of the stand to be added in. I think we can take from that there is no intention of this ever happening

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Greengo wrote:also... why are there a set of steps with a hand railing in the middle of nowhere to the side of the newly built stand... Is terracing going to be built between the stand and the steps ?
No idea on terracing - but there appears to be a significant change in levels there. So you'd need to provide a safe way for people to able to navigate it.

Otherwise the council would be getting compo claims from half of Derry for people falling on that slope due to rain, ice, leaves etc :D

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

I've said it from the start, but I have no faith in this being done right and I can see a lot of red faces at the end of it.

The Council and those in charge of this haven't a clue about football stadiums and the attention to detail that is involved.

I hope I am proved wrong

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

stevebradley wrote:
Otherwise the council would be getting compo claims from half of Derry for people falling on that slope due to rain, ice, leaves etc :D
Suppose that's one way of getting the crowds back... :lol:

city till i die 89

Post by city till i die 89 »

KEVK wrote:I've said it from the start, but I have no faith in this being done right and I can see a lot of red faces at the end of it.

The Council and those in charge of this haven't a clue about football stadiums and the attention to detail that is involved.

I hope I am proved wrong
The council can't even maintain the astro pitch at Foyle Arena it is like a beach

supremo

Post by supremo »

To be fair I saw the lamp posts the other day as I drove past and they are mostly to the side of the stand and I don’t think that they are much of a visual obstruction.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

city till i die 89 wrote:
KEVK wrote:I've said it from the start, but I have no faith in this being done right and I can see a lot of red faces at the end of it.

I hope I am proved wrong
The council can't even maintain the astro pitch at Foyle Arena it is like a beach
Completely different kind of pitch, meant to be sandy.

More a hockey pitch than a soccer pitch.

Chalkie
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Chalkie »

Has there been any confirmation of what type of contamination the Brandywell has and if it will delay the opening of the ground?