Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by adydcfc »

mark_d wrote:There looks to be a lot of plain white walls inside and outside of the newly redeveloped stand, along the corridors and at the tunnel etc. I think it would be a brilliant idea to add some Derry City or red & white inspired themes/murals on these walls. Ideas could include successful teams like the 89 treble winners, or past players and club legends such as Mark Farren, Ryan McBride, Liam Coyle etc.

Try to make it as intimidating as possible for opposition teams, whilst on the other hand making it inspiring for our players without being too cheesy.

I know that technically the council own the ground etc, but surely they would have no objection if the club wanted to do something like this.
Great idea and something the club and council should be open to.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

You couldn't make it up. 3 days to the first game and the team can't train on it.

Derry City's first Brandywell training session cancelled by Council
Derry City's first Brandywell training session cancelled by Council Kenny Shiels' plans to introduce his players to the new artificial surface at Brandywell Stadium were disrupted as Derry and Strabane District Council refused them permission to train on Monday night due to a lack of safety documentation. DERRY CITY’s preparations for its return to Brandywell Stadium have been hit badly after yesterday’s training session at the ground was cancelled at the final hour. With Phase One of the Brandywell Regeneration Project complete and ownership of the stadium officially handed back to Derry and Strabane District Council on Monday, Kenny Shiels had planned a training session on the pitch to introduce his players to the new artificial surface. However, Council informed the club it couldn’t train on the pitch until the necessary safety documentation was in place, leaving Shiels to look elsewhere for a suitable venue. A spokesperson for Council last night told the ‘Journal’ work was ‘progressing well’ and it was in direct contact with Derry City regarding Friday night’s match. Love Winter Embrace the elements; enjoy the intrepid feeling of tackling the season head on. Promoted by Visit Jersey “Work to have the pitch ready for the Derry City v. Dundalk game on Friday evening is progressing well,” it read. “The Council is working with Derry City directly with regards to arranging pre-match training sessions and advised them that these will commence once the full safety documentation is in place.” Shiels refused to comment on the situation but the club issued the following statement regarding match arrangements for Friday night.

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

The Council can't rent out the ground until it's passed its inspection. Fair enough.
More the club's fault for making plans before that really.

pgdcfc

Post by pgdcfc »

Terrible.
Oh terrace tickets......as far as I know, no more. Well one price for ticket whether you take a seat or not. Seats available but if you prefer to stand it's same price, £14.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Let's hope the safety documentation is in place for Friday's match and things run smoothly.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

brendy_éire wrote:The Council can't rent out the ground until it's passed its inspection. Fair enough.
More the club's fault for making plans before that really.
Didn't someone say that this inspection was due to go ahead today?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Another farce. Didn't someone communicate with the club that the stadium is available / not available?
Can't wait to put all this nonsense behind us and finally start concentrating on the football.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

pgdcfc wrote:Terrible.
Oh terrace tickets......as far as I know, no more. Well one price for ticket whether you take a seat or not. Seats available but if you prefer to stand it's same price, £14.
Quare price rise then for some!

magspat
First Team
First Team

Post by magspat »

John Bacon wrote:
Council looking £1,000 per match from DC ,told at agm tonight.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

yes!! and even worse is the reported charge of £90 for you or me booking a pitch.Why the difference? Are we getting extra facilities or what?
Anyway, as Philip stated DC hasn't agreed to the fee yet and will query it strongly.

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

If you book the pitch im sure your not bringing 2000 of your mates and 2 chip vans. 1000 is steep though

An Absolute Disgrace

Post by An Absolute Disgrace »

That’s a lot less than the Munster FA charge cork city for every match.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

In fairness to the council, they've just spent a few million quid on doing up the stadium.

Admittedly the pitch and other aspects wasn't done just for Derry City, but the stand largely was.

If they're only lifting £25,000 or so a season from the club in return, it's a pretty poor return on investment for the work that was largely done solely or primarily for Derry City. So £1,000 per game is essentially a subsidised rate.

Though shouldn't the price have been agreed months ago, and not left until the week of the first game at the ground ?

supremo

Post by supremo »

This £1000 is not a subsidised rate. It was determined by a valuer used by the council. It is unique and I am not exactly sure if the charges are calculated on actual square footage or on over all facility usage. This is enough for the Club to ask or look for a second opinion.
The only other team in N. Ireland that uses council facilities is Ballymena Utd so it would be interesting to find out what they pay for the use of their ground on match days. Maybe if the council insist on this valuation, our ticketing should clearly state how much of the ticket price goes to the council just like VAT.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

supremo wrote:This £1000 is not a subsidised rate. It was determined by a valuer used by the council. It is unique and I am not exactly sure if the charges are calculated on actual square footage or on over all facility usage. This is enough for the Club to ask or look for a second opinion.
The only other team in N. Ireland that uses council facilities is Ballymena Utd so it would be interesting to find out what they pay for the use of their ground on match days. Maybe if the council insist on this valuation, our ticketing should clearly state how much of the ticket price goes to the council just like VAT.
It would be imopossible to put a cliam on tickets about how mcuh of it goes to the council though, as the council's fee is a fixed rate. The more tickets sold, the lower the per-ticket allocation towards the council would be - so you can't predict it in advance of knowing the sales.

I hope the club can get the £1,000 fee down, but if not it'll just be the way it is. We useed to able to pay not a lot for the Brandywell because it was a kip. That excuse is thankfully gone now.

If we can average 2,000 at games we'll be lifting somewhere in the ballpark of £20,000+ each time. Giving 5% of that to the council doesn't seem unreasonable. And the more we attract to games, the easier the fixed charge will be to swallow - so it's all on the club to attract more fans.

thecitizen

Post by thecitizen »

I can hardly see the Foyle Cup using the Brandywell if that's the going rate..........

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Does the £1000 include the bar? If so, it may prompt the club to change its current plans for access.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

kitwe wrote:yes!! and even worse is the reported charge of £90 for you or me booking a pitch.Why the difference? Are we getting extra facilities or what?
Anyway, as Philip stated DC hasn't agreed to the fee yet and will query it strongly.
£90 - Is that full pitch for an hour? How does that compare to other pitches in the town (Creggan / Leafair / Vale centre)?

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

magspat wrote:
John Bacon wrote:
Council looking £1,000 per match from DC ,told at agm tonight.
Do you know......

How many were at the meeting?

Where was it held?

What other items were discussed?

Being a share holder i would have liked to have been there, but the meeting was not advertised on the Derry City DC site, not in the papers/media, nor on here. The last meeting held i received notification in the post, but not this time. Shameful way to treat shareholders. Surely the least they can do is publish the minutes of the meeting.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

pmac wrote:Do you know......

How many were at the meeting?

Where was it held?

What other items were discussed?

Being a share holder i would have liked to have been there, but the meeting was not advertised on the Derry City DC site, not in the papers/media, nor on here. The last meeting held i received notification in the post, but not this time. Shameful way to treat shareholders. Surely the least they can do is publish the minutes of the meeting.
The AGM was publicised on the club website. It was also published across the club's social media channels.

The company is under no obligation to publish the minutes. As a shareholder i assume you can contact the club and request minutes.

I'm not defending the club's approach, just clarifying a few facts.