Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
rodgers
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by rodgers »

Could they go back to Maginn? I'd like the club to retain a presence in Inishowen if possible.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

remember72 wrote:If Institute do play their home matches in the Brandywell, where will Derry Citys U17 & U19 teams play their home games on Saturday afternoons? These teams play in the FAI North Section with the likes of Shamrock Rvrs, Finn Harps, Dundalk, Athlone etc and the ground has to meet certain criteria. For the past few years they have had to use various pitches in the North West in both Derry and Donegal. These are the teams that are providing future players for the Derry senior team and we should ensure they get the proper facilities to improve their skills and give them the experience of playing at the Brandywell which they are getting this season.
Do those teams use the ground every Saturday afternoon during the season ?

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

stevebradley wrote:
remember72 wrote:If Institute do play their home matches in the Brandywell, where will Derry Citys U17 & U19 teams play their home games on Saturday afternoons? These teams play in the FAI North Section with the likes of Shamrock Rvrs, Finn Harps, Dundalk, Athlone etc and the ground has to meet certain criteria. For the past few years they have had to use various pitches in the North West in both Derry and Donegal. These are the teams that are providing future players for the Derry senior team and we should ensure they get the proper facilities to improve their skills and give them the experience of playing at the Brandywell which they are getting this season.
Do those teams use the ground every Saturday afternoon during the season ?
Pretty often

jordie

Post by jordie »

wilton park for the youth teams?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Can't see why you couldn't play 2 games on a Saturday.

11am (for the junior game) & 3am for (senior game)

Not like the there's too many in attendance at either games...

And the pitch will not get cut up either.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

The 11am starts might not be suitable for some of the away youth teams coming up to play. Would be a very early start or involve overnight stays which I don't think clubs would want to pay for for running underage teams and don't think the FAI would ask them to do it.

On the other hand, the winter season in the North might mean that the clash isn't an issue all the time.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote:The 11am starts might not be suitable for some of the away youth teams coming up to play. Would be a very early start or involve overnight stays which I don't think clubs would want to pay for for running underage teams and don't think the FAI would ask them to do it.

On the other hand, the winter season in the North might mean that the clash isn't an issue all the time.
We'll make Institute kick off at 11am then... :lol:

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote:The 11am starts might not be suitable for some of the away youth teams coming up to play. Would be a very early start or involve overnight stays which I don't think clubs would want to pay for for running underage teams and don't think the FAI would ask them to do it.

Factor in the Winter season, then also that Stute would only be at home every other weekend, and in reality you're talking about a small number of potential clashes. Which surely could be scheduled around.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Yes but there is more than one underage Derry team which might complicate matters so that they might need it every week eg u17 one week, u19 the next.

On the other hand, the games might be played on Sundays? There won't be any Stute games then if that is still banned by the IFA. On the downside, our underage players will be condemned to an eternity in hell for doing so.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know the underage schedules.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote:Yes but there is more than one underage Derry team which might complicate matters so that they might need it every week eg u17 one week, u19 the next.

On the other hand, the games might be played on Sundays? There won't be any Stute games then if that is still banned by the IFA. On the downside, our underage players will be condemned to an eternity in hell for doing so.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really know the underage schedules.
The ban on Sunday football in the Irish League was dropped a decade ago.

kitwe
First Team
First Team

Post by kitwe »

Sadly I cannot see Institute playing at Brandywell - a council facility for everyone?
1. They'd probably require a police presence
2. Could they afford the exorbitant £1000 per match (with small gates) the council seeks?
3. Some visiting teams might be reluctant to come

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

kitwe wrote:Sadly I cannot see Institute playing at Brandywell - a council facility for everyone?
2. Could they afford the exorbitant £1000 per match (with small gates) the council seeks?
There is already a Police presence at Dcfc games.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

barry wrote:
kitwe wrote:Sadly I cannot see Institute playing at Brandywell - a council facility for everyone?

Decision taken by the council that they can play there next season and if they do I intend going when I can but We have the usual problem the dissees looking for bother and will stir the political pot to get noticed and the 'deprived' mobile txting youth will ly in wait as they did awhile back on Dundalk, Rovers and bohs fans, and as the often quoted statement says 'They haven't gone away you know'.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

johnm wrote:
barry wrote:

Decision taken by the council that they can play there next season and if they do I intend going when I can but We have the usual problem the dissees looking for bother and will stir the political pot to get noticed and the 'deprived' mobile txting youth will ly in wait as they did awhile back on Dundalk, Rovers and bohs fans, and as the often quoted statement says 'They haven't gone away you know'.
The little hoods will always cause trouble regardless of who the visiting team / fans are. They can't hold the entire place to ransom. Its a Council wide facility and the more its utilised the better for all concerned including DCFC. Im not being flippant about trouble but the sooner we can normalise these things the better. Plus it may help push through our stand extension if we ever find ourselves with a fully functioning Government...

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

If nothing else itll make people realise that this isnt a dc problem which has been the case. The trouble outside the ground is a social issue.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

DC-2010 wrote:If nothing else itll make people realise that this isnt a dc problem which has been the case. The trouble outside the ground is a social issue.
I don't think anyone who follows football rates it as a Derry City problem, and the media have also mentioned that fans haven't been involved previously.

I get what you meant above, but I don't personally see any benefit to the club in there being trouble outside even for a non-Derry City match. There is no silver lining from our ground being seen as located in a volatile and unwelcoming place.

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

I mean that for the last few years wee scrots have tarnished the club while the fans are inside the stadium. I hope everything goes well for both clubs. And i might go to a few games myself. Genuinely hope it a smooth transition

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Will institute fans feel comfortable with going to Brandywell - I hope so , I know there's not many . Will any DCFC fans go to games ?

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

danny hale wrote:Will institute fans feel comfortable with going to Brandywell - I hope so , I know there's not many . Will any DCFC fans go to games ?
I will go to a few games. Never been before.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

You'd be surprised how many City fans make up the Institute support.