Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by micdaflic »

DC-2010 wrote:Aye do we should have... wise up
Well at least we would 'at home' and not be beholden to a bunch of arseholes in the council who could care less about the club

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

How would we be at home if we were in buncrana. Talk sense ffs. Hi its shite i agree but unless we own our own ground we'll be at someones mercy and thats not happening.

In 4 weeks it will be all forgotton but my personal view is shiels was ott

micdaflic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by micdaflic »

DC-2010 wrote:How would we be at home if we were in buncrana. Talk sense ffs. Hi its shite i agree but unless we own our own ground we'll be at someones mercy and thats not happening.

The only thing that is shite is that people have been talking on here for months that the work would not be completed in time for new season and that's why the club should have stayed in Maginn Park. Players would have had some sort of pre season on grass even given the bad weather

GERRYW

Post by GERRYW »

micdaflic wrote:
DC-2010 wrote:How would we be at home if we were in buncrana. Talk sense ffs. Hi its shite i agree but unless we own our own ground we'll be at someones mercy and thats not happening.

The only thing that is shite is that people have been talking on here for months that the work would not be completed in time for new season and that's why the club should have stayed in Maginn Park. Players would have had some sort of pre season on grass even given the bad weather

GERRYW

Post by GERRYW »

The players are now training on the new pitch.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Out of interest do Council have covers that roll over the pitch to prevent frost / snow etc?

I'm guessing not but would love to be told otherwise... :-)

Presuming there's no under (plastic) ground heating. :-)

Dee75

Post by Dee75 »

GERRYW wrote:The players are now training on the new pitch.
It's not training, it's a match against Coleraine.

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

Pitch played very slow today and abnormal bounce of it. This will be a big advantage to us when we get use to it over those on grass pitches.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Abnormal as in little or no bounch?

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

marcoloco wrote:Abnormal as in little or no bounch?
Unpredictable at times

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Back page of the Journal says the Council have confirmed that it will take some time for the Brandywell will be able to operate at full capacity of 3,700 and the Limerick game will have reduced capacity of 2,600 because of safety management requirements. You couldn't make it up Hi!

adydcfc
Reserves
Reserves

Post by adydcfc »

brandyball wrote:Back page of the Journal says the Council have confirmed that it will take some time for the Brandywell will be able to operate at full capacity of 3,700 and the Limerick game will have reduced capacity of 2,600 because of safety management requirements. You couldn't make it up Hi!
Fucking farce!!

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

Is it any wonder why this topic has been one of the longest running topics on here with over 80,000 views since it started. The council are cheesed of with criticism of how they have managed the whole revamp of the Brandywell and some of them wish, like the Irish league that we would fade away and relieve them of a headache. There are a lot of great workers in the council but there progress is hindered by certain people being in particular positions who influence the efficient running of the business.

Bear

Post by Bear »

What does this mean? Is the Mark Farren stand not available?

Laughing stock!!!!!!

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

brandyball wrote:Back page of the Journal says the Council have confirmed that it will take some time for the Brandywell will be able to operate at full capacity of 3,700 and the Limerick game will have reduced capacity of 2,600 because of safety management requirements. You couldn't make it up Hi!
Maybe there has to be a dry run kind of thing for the Mark Farren Stand to get safety certificate - something that was pointed out by someone on here a few weeks back.
Last edited by KEVK on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pcass

Post by pcass »

Thats the Mark Farren stand shut then. Will those who bought MF stand tickets be happy to sit on the periphery of the southend stand?

They've a another problem with ticketing also which was highlighted by KEVK - I'll be bringing two kids free with my southend park stand season ticket and I know others will.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

It's standard stuff for stadiums to tier up to their full capacity over a short period of time, as part of their public licensing process. They have to show that they can operate properly at various steps up to their full capacity, in order to get a license for that full capacity.

Usually it's done in just a couple of weeks by holding meaningless events/friendlies to prove the different capacity levels up to the full one.

What seems to have happened here is that the work has been completed so late that there is no time to hold the meaningless games to tier up to the full capacity, meaning that we're using actual games to do it instead. It's another impact of the council's project management failure on this job.

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

I hope I'm wrong but I think we could see a shambolic first game at home. There will be quite a few unhappy people I would say. The club should use all its communication avenues to clear everything before the weekend.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

If Stute are looking to use the Brandywell if they gain premier status I will be happy to support them as they have a wide cross section of players form the town.

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

johnm wrote:If Stute are looking to use the Brandywell if they gain premier status I will be happy to support them as they have a wide cross section of players form the town.
Agreed.

Always been a good relationship between the Clubs with the annual Billy Kee Memorial Cup, and a lot of players have played for both teams.

Good to see Paddy McLaughlin doing a good job with them as well.

Maybe they can bring a few of their wee stands and stick them behind the nets at the Brandywell :)