Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by Andy Bernard »

Been thinking about what Dundalk did in Europe last season today and obviously we've little chance of going through. But if we ever did reach the Europa League group stage would we be able to host games in Derry and if not what was the point of this year's work?

Dazzy

Post by Dazzy »

Andy Bernard wrote:Been thinking about what Dundalk did in Europe last season today and obviously we've little chance of going through. But if we ever did reach the Europa League group stage would we be able to host games in Derry and if not what was the point of this year's work?
No. This work was to bring the ground up to the minimum required for Uefa Cat 3 requirements. Group stage is Cat 4.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Dazzy wrote:
Andy Bernard wrote:Been thinking about what Dundalk did in Europe last season today and obviously we've little chance of going through. But if we ever did reach the Europa League group stage would we be able to host games in Derry and if not what was the point of this year's work?
No. This work was to bring the ground up to the minimum required for Uefa Cat 3 requirements. Group stage is Cat 4.
We'd all be off to Dublin for games if we ever reached the Group Stages, or even the final qualifying round before them.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

stevebradley wrote:
Dazzy wrote:
We'd all be off to Dublin for games if we ever reached the Group Stages, or even the final qualifying round before them.
If we ever did qualify for Cat4 stage then why not embarrass the council a bit more by playing our home games in winsdor

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:
stevebradley wrote: We'd all be off to Dublin for games if we ever reached the Group Stages, or even the final qualifying round before them.
If we ever did qualify for Cat4 stage then why not embarrass the council a bit more by playing our home games in winsdor
I don't think the Council are embarassable to be honest !

Also - I could be wrong on this, But I don't believe we'd be able to play European games in Belfast, as it's a different footballing jurisdiction. I think you need extenuating circumstances to justify such a step. That's why we're off to Sligo for our Euro game this year.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

I see this post has hit over 50000 views, must be the highest on this site and the most contentious.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Any new update photos on how the Brandywell's looking ?

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Any chance the lego stand will be given some of the DUP ransom money? Thought not

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

Andy Bernard wrote:Any chance the lego stand will be given some of the DUP ransom money? Thought not
aye. heard it was on gregory's wish list

CityExile

Post by CityExile »

fish-head wrote:
Andy Bernard wrote:Any chance the lego stand will be given some of the DUP ransom money? Thought not
...as a possible site for a bonfire maybe...the man's a cretin

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

CityExile wrote:
fish-head wrote:
...as a possible site for a bonfire maybe...the man's a cretin
The new boundary changes coming in for the next GE will put him at serious risk of being an unemployed cretin.

There is hope...

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

as much as i can't stand the man, i think it's a good thing that he gets elected. it serves as a reminder of the old past when they had un-checked power and how important it is to not let it happen again.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

Naming of the stand will be looming but I don't think it's worthy of calling it after the players who have passed away recently.

I think by the look of it that I'm reminded of the former 'Glentoran stand' not a great tribute to any of the players.

Maybe the whole stadium needs to be renamed, not a pocket sized stand in it.

mburnsderry

Post by mburnsderry »

johnm wrote:Naming of the stand will be looming but I don't think it's worthy of calling it after the players who have passed away recently.

I think by the look of it that I'm reminded of the former 'Glentoran stand' not a great tribute to any of the players.

TBH I think naming it after one particular player would be disrespectful to all the other ex-players who have passed away.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

johnm wrote:Naming of the stand will be looming but I don't think it's worthy of calling it after the players who have passed away recently.

Isn't it for the council to decide though ?

thecitizen

Post by thecitizen »

Simply name it after a sponsor, the money is much needed!!

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

stevebradley wrote:

The council haven't got the best reputation for making decisions being long winded and costly.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:
stevebradley wrote:

The council haven't got the best reputation for making decisions being long winded and costly.
True. But it's still their stadium to name, not Derry City's.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

thecitizen wrote:Simply name it after a sponsor, the money is much needed!!
But it's not Derry City's stadium ! Any naming rights income from it would therefore go to the owner (i.e. the council), not the club.

And we'd have to put up with whatever name it was e.g. The Club Orange Stadium, commonly known as 'The Orange Stadium' :D

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

stevebradley wrote:
thecitizen wrote:Simply name it after a sponsor, the money is much needed!!
But it's not Derry City's stadium ! Any naming rights income from it would therefore go to the owner (i.e. the council), not the club.

And we'd have to put up with whatever name it was e.g. The Club Orange Stadium, commonly known as 'The Orange Stadium' :D
I pitched it before and I will pitch it again

"Top Muff at The Brandywell Stadium"