Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by davy_g »

That's exactly what i was thinking the wings of the southend park stand will look totally out of proportion compared to the rest of the ground so should be removed.[/quote]
naw they won't, they'll look grand as they are. it'll end up looking more of a pigs ear ffs
it's not like a box of lego you know.[/quote]

There is none of that ground that will look grand, and talking about lego sure its a lego size stand we are getting on the lone more road side.[/quote]

That stand is actually embarassing looking :oops:

derry_bhoy17

Post by derry_bhoy17 »

Is that it?? That's the stand?? Jesus wept that is going to look ridiculous. Should have kept the Glentoran stand and the European seats 8-).

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Its only holding 900, isn't it?

If we fill that and the Southend Stand for every home game next season, I'm sure the club will be delighted. That would be nearly 3000 at every game.

Won't happen.

Would there be much point having a second 2000 seater stand built?

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Standing next to the Brandywell at the minute and the development is coming on rightly. I notice that the wall behind the current stand has been knocked down and finally replaced. Glad to see that the rusty supports have been done away with.

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

derry_bhoy17 wrote:Is that it?? That's the stand?? Jesus wept that is going to look ridiculous. Should have kept the Glentoran stand and the European seats 8-).
i don't think it's finished yet, i think they put a floor and walls and seats in and a roof over it.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Embarassing. When you consider the European seats and Glentoran stand going we've got the sum total of not much. Ground would look less embarassing without that new 'stand'

beanomoracova

Post by beanomoracova »

Just a thought but who exactly is gonna fill these 4000 odd seats that lots of you are complaining that we're not getting? :?:

Obviously I would love to have a huge, modern, state of the art facility built somewhere other than the Brandywell area and sold out every week but it just isn't gonna happen. It is what it is and I for one will be happy to see the work completed. There's a hell of a lot of whinging being done over something that's not even half built yet. Judge it when it's done.

Alternatively get yourself a Euromillions ticket for tonight and take over the running of the club on Monday morning when your ship comes in. That's my plan anyway... ;)

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

if they nyam in real life half as much as they do online they must be right miserable feckers

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Keyser Soze wrote:Its only holding 900, isn't it?

If we fill that and the Southend Stand for every home game next season, I'm sure the club will be delighted. That would be nearly 3000 at every game.

Won't happen.

Obviously there is. Sometimes teams get well above their average get like when they get a big draw in Europe or there is a cup semi final or teams take a large travelling support for a crucial league game. (Not that away fans want to come near the brandywell any more)This a point that's never made about the size of Linfield, Glentoran or Crusaders' ground so why are we forcing different rules on ourselves? Are we so beaten down to be grateful for any scrap? The stand is an embarrassment and anyway putting that down to nyaming can do one. I know someone who is actually building the thing and he agrees.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Andy Bernard wrote:

Won't happen.

Obviously there is. Sometimes teams get well above their average get like when they get a big draw in Europe or there is a cup semi final or teams take a large travelling support for a crucial league game. (Not that away fans want to come near the brandywell any more)This a point that's never made about the size of Linfield, Glentoran or Crusaders' ground so why are we forcing different rules on ourselves? Are we so beaten down to be grateful for any scrap? The stand is an embarrassment and anyway putting that down to nyaming can do one. I know someone who is actually building the thing and he agrees.
Well said andy great post

fish-head

Post by fish-head »

shauna wrote:
Andy Bernard wrote:

Won't happen.

Well said andy great post
the boat has sailed for now. everyone is disappointed, i was speaking to the chairman a few weeks ago, he's as disappointed as the next man. we'll hopefully get the rest of the stand at a later date not too far away.
time to give over nyamin and move on for now

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

It doesn't look that bad now. If it's ever completed along the whole side it will be impressive

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Andy Bernard wrote:

Won't happen.

This, 100%.

3,000 seats and some are tugging their forelocks and bowing to our masters and betters in gratitude. You don't see fans of other clubs attacking their own for wanting a more credible stadium.

As for talk of 'nyamers' - anyone who thinks Derry gets a fair share of things in NI must walk around with their eyes closed. I believe people in Derry should never stop demanding the same sort of investment that places like Belfast take for granted, or else nothing is going to change. And for me, dismissing anyone who demands fair treatment as a nyamer is the equivalent of being an Uncle Tom for Belfast and the DUP.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

fish-head wrote:
stevebradley wrote: True.

Though never mind a lobby group - responsibility re the stadium we're getting rests largely with the Board IMO. They set their sights very low from early on, let themselves be led by the nose to an even more basic solution, and have blanked any criticism ever since. The 'new' Brandywell will be a monument to a paucity of ambition.

Wait til we all see what Glentoran eventually get.
i think steve that if you ask the board, they'll say that they had the ambition but the problem was the money which was largely out of their hands. we can't expect phil to stump up the sort of money needed to build the finished article.
We've been through this numerous times on here though.

There was a strong case for a new stadium at Templemore, with most of the funding available locally, and a strong case for Stormont Regional Stadium funds to make up the rest. The problem IMO is that the council don't have the vision or the imagination to think of any other use for the Brandywell, and the club let itself be persuaded that it was Brandywell or bust. I'm convinced that a really compelling alternative plan would have had the potential to lift the scales off of the Council's eyes, and would have motivated the public enough to demand something better than what we're getting.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:
stevebradley wrote:
MariborKev wrote: True.

Though never mind a lobby group - responsibility re the stadium we're getting rests largely with the Board IMO. They set their sights very low from early on, let themselves be led by the nose to an even more basic solution, and have blanked any criticism ever since. The 'new' Brandywell will be a monument to a paucity of ambition.

Wait til we all see what Glentoran eventually get.
The council are the owners who decide what amenity is fit for the general population here. If we were having the large crowds of yesteryear they would not be long in producing what was suitable to voters and lobbying the relevant funders to cough up. As the crowds dwindled the council put the brandywell on the pending list. Not enough voters put pressure on the photogenic councillors to make that difference.
Firstly - I don't share your faith in the council. I don't believe they have the vision to push for ambitious solutions for Derry. You only have to look at their feeble efforts in areas like tourism to understand (e.g. a maritime museum in Derry that's not on the water and will contain almost no artefacts and do feck all to bring tourists here, vs the £80m Belfast got for a Titanic 'experience' that has sent tourism in Belfast sky high).

Secondly - what sort of crowds are Glentoran getting : 800 or so average ? Do you really think many people are putting pressure on the NI Executive for a new stadium for them ? Yet I guarantee you - just wait and see what the Glens get for a new stadium. It will knock the stripes off ours hands down - guaranteed. Because they have the vision and the lobbying sense to push for something excellent for themselves.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

The council is not together when it comes to political football. They are afraid to make big decisions for the future on infrastructure and weeding out problems within the work force. The pride in what your able to do in your council area isn't a culture that is uppermost but let down by a number in the employees. Milan had visionaries building the San Siro for the city to nurture the football to stage club games, top European matches and events. They didn't need a year of culture to advertise their area but the balls to make real decisions in everyday life and prove to the people they can lead.

joe3576
Reserves
Reserves

Post by joe3576 »

Steve - is there no chance that we can be a bit more upbeat about the redevelopment. I think this relentless negativity that you display is bit disheartening at times.

The finished brandywell is not going to be perfect, we all accept that; but finally after many years it is a start and something positive is happening. My father has been going to games for 70 years now, if I can take him next season to something which is better than what we had before, then it is a start, it's not perfect but it is start.

This last week myself, father and 2 young kids have went to both Oriel Park and United Park - both grounds to be frank are a dump - absolutely nothing modern about these grounds, shocking toilet facilities the heap. So all clubs are in the same boat.

If we can get back up and running next year in a better brandywell great, if we can get the new stand extended inside 3-4 years great also.

But at the very least, lets go into the new stadium positive and not constantly negative about the situation.

Perfect it will not be - better it will be. Buts it our home and let's be proud of it. If my father has been proud to go for 70 years then why should I go and complain.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

joe3576 wrote:Steve - is there no chance that we can be a bit more upbeat about the redevelopment. I think this relentless negativity that you display is bit disheartening at times.

The finished brandywell is not going to be perfect, we all accept that; but finally after many years it is a start and something positive is happening. My father has been going to games for 70 years now, if I can take him next season to something which is better than what we had before, then it is a start, it's not perfect but it is start.

This last week myself, father and 2 young kids have went to both Oriel Park and United Park - both grounds to be frank are a dump - absolutely nothing modern about these grounds, shocking toilet facilities the heap. So all clubs are in the same boat.

If we can get back up and running next year in a better brandywell great, if we can get the new stand extended inside 3-4 years great also.

But at the very least, lets go into the new stadium positive and not constantly negative about the situation.

Perfect it will not be - better it will be. Buts it our home and let's be proud of it. If my father has been proud to go for 70 years then why should I go and complain.
I accept that we're getting what we're getting, but I make no apologies for demanding better.

Also - I'm not convinced the new stand is a start. My fear is that it's an end instead. It could be some time before the wings either side of it get filled in, and then once they're done I don't think we'll see anything change at the Brandywell for decades.

You're right re Oriel and United Park. But it seems there may be things finally stirring on the state of stadia around the league : "John Delaney insists FAI are ready to make case to Government for major investment in the League of Ireland" : https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/10 ... f-ireland/

I'd expect Oriel Park to see some big changes in the coming years anyway. Drogheda have gone back to what they've been for most of their existence - a relatively small club - so it must be hard for them to make a strong case for much investment in their stadium.

Meanwhile - look at what IS changing in the league. Cork and Rovers have fine stadiums, with Tallaght getting a third stand shortly. Dalymount is being redeveloped into a 10,000 seater for Bohs and Shels. And work on Harps' stadium is about to start again (which make it bigger than ours).

I'll go watch Derry City wherever we're playing. But as said - I make no apologies for demanding the best for the team I support and the city I'm from.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Bear in mind too that all the work and money getting spent now is leaving the entire site in a relatively new and modern state.

OK so we all agree the new stand will be a bit half-arsed looking, but bear in mind it will not take millions in the future to tack on two end bits to widen it out. So in theory to extend the capacity on the Lone Moor Road side won't require us to wait years for funding.

Of course it would have been better to have the new stand the full length of the pitch now, but at least we will be going into the Brandywell next season to watch games in fresh surroundings with better facilities. That's a positive for a start.

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

Keyser Soze wrote: it will not take millions in the future to tack on two end bits to widen it out. .
How do you know?