Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by stevebradley »

doll wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

If the tournament is to be held in Cat 3 or 4 stadiums we are short in capacity amongst other things.
Capacity can't be the issue, or Ballymena wouldn't be being included. Nor the new Dalymount, which will have only 6,000 capacity.

None of the stadia in the 2017 tournament (Poland) or 2013 tournament (Israel) had artifical grass, so that may be where the issue lies. All the stadis used in both of those were over 13,000 in capacity btw - bigger than Ballymena, Turners Cross, Dalymount, and even Ravenhill.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

TenaciousDee wrote:Sinn Fein has published a press release and Elisha McCallion is looking fir answers as to why the region is missing out.
Noticeable that it took a couple of tweets complianing about Derry not being included to spark them into action on this.

Our local politicians - of all parties - constantly seem to be asleep at the wheel about these things. They should've been onto this the minu eit was announced without being prompted.

The fact we weren't inclouded in the 2023 Irish Rugby World Cuop bid should have been a line in the sand. For us to miss out yet again on another major sporting tournament shows that the lesson wasn't learned last time.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

They (SF politicians) constantly wrestle for any association with a good news story but when it comes to more important matters like securing investment, sadly, they are way out of their depth. So instead we get them bleating about how hard done we are rather than have the foresight to stayed focused, negotiate and deliver.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... a-15360889

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/i ... 84269.html

According to these two articles, Patrick Nelson claims the reason why the Brandywell was not put forward was because of the artificial pitch.

If that is correct, why have Italy been allowed to use an artificial surface in 2019? (I am guessing it might be a better artificial pitch.)

And, why is Dalymount included in the bid when the redevelopment will also have a 3g pitch?

One of the big issues I had with the plastic pitch in the Brandywell was that overall it would have less benefit economically than a grass pitch. This is one example of why.

South Dublin County Council I would imagine will use this bid to secure the funding from somewhere for the addition of a fourth stand to their ground. By 2023, they will probably have a 10,000 seater stadium with a grass pitch and stands on all four sides which their tenants Shamrock Rovers will get to enjoy. This club and this city will be left further and further behind. Do Derry City Council have the same competence and foresight?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

rodgers wrote:https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... a-15360889

According to these two articles, Patrick Nelson claims the reason why the Brandywell was not put forward was because of the artificial pitch.

If that is correct, why have Italy been allowed to use an artificial surface in 2019? (I am guessing it might be a better artificial pitch.)

And, why is Dalymount included in the bid when the redevelopment will also have a 3g pitch?

One of the big issues I had with the plastic pitch in the Brandywell was that overall it would have less benefit economically than a grass pitch. This is one example of why.

South Dublin County Council I would imagine will use this bid to secure the funding from somewhere for the addition of a fourth stand to their ground. By 2023, they will probably have a 10,000 seater stadium with a grass pitch and stands on all four sides which their tenants Shamrock Rovers will get to enjoy. This club and this city will be left further and further behind. Do Derry City Council have the same competence and foresight?
There's plastic pitches and there's plastic pitches...

Wonder what standard the Italian stadium has installed? Is it comparable to our or more advanced?

Is there minimum pitch standards set by UEFA for hosting international games? If so, was this given any consideration when installing the new pitch at the Brandywell or was it cost driven. Would be interesting to know...

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

Have seen it mentioned a few times, but does the Brandywell's current pitch not have a drainage system ?

I really hope our local media/journalists dig deeper on this as lots of unanswered questions that, if answered, will probably point to a sub-standard stadium/pitch given the money that has been spent on it and will demonstrate to people like Raymond McCartney that a lot of investment is still needed.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

The plastic pitch won't be a problem and the media facilities are minor issues. It's the seating capacity and lack of a watering system.

Does anyone honestly expect these improvements to be made in the next five years? Considering, firstly, how long it took to get the Brandywell this far and, secondly, the lack of any real leadership in NI politics to get this done. If the dogs in the street know that this won't happen, why should the FAI/IFA think any differently?

KEVK
First Team
First Team

Post by KEVK »

PauliAlonso wrote:The plastic pitch won't be a problem and the media facilities are minor issues. It's the seating capacity and lack of a watering system.

Does anyone honestly expect these improvements to be made in the next five years? Considering, firstly, how long it took to get the Brandywell this far and, secondly, the lack of any real leadership in NI politics to get this done. If the dogs in the street know that this won't happen, why should the FAI/IFA think any differently?
One thing that tournaments like these can provide is a rough estimate on the boost to the local economy it will bring if you are a host city.

Makes it easier for Council to justify extra spend as they can demonstrate a return on investment to the local economy - something they can't really do when it's just Derry City and Institute playing every week.

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

Yes, but most of the games will go to Tallaght, Dalymount and Windsor anyway. That would leave us with three group games at the Brandywell, over a six day period, and the chances are that none of the teams in our chosen group would stay in Derry anyway. The other group games (groups are split between two venues) would probably be held at another NI ground in, or nearer to, Belfast. I expect they'd camp in Belfast and drive to Derry on matchday.

If we wanted to be considered seriously as a host city, and have teams stay here for the 8-10 day duration in order to get the full economic benefit, then we'd need to push the new Finn Park as a potential venue as well and use that as the other group venue. But I think there are still doubts about their final seating capacity, right?

It's exactly this type of occasion that the council and local politicians refused to consider when only approving our half-a-stadium. If the whole thing had been done in one go, then we have a stadium ready for use.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

PauliAlonso wrote:Yes, but most of the games will go to Tallaght, Dalymount and Windsor anyway. That would leave us with three group games at the Brandywell, over a six day period, and the chances are that none of the teams in our chosen group would stay in Derry anyway. The other group games (groups are split between two venues) would probably be held at another NI ground in, or nearer to, Belfast. I expect they'd camp in Belfast and drive to Derry on matchday.

If we wanted to be considered seriously as a host city, and have teams stay here for the 8-10 day duration in order to get the full economic benefit, then we'd need to push the new Finn Park as a potential venue as well and use that as the other group venue. But I think there are still doubts about their final seating capacity, right?

It's exactly this type of occasion that the council and local politicians refused to consider when only approving our half-a-stadium. If the whole thing had been done in one go, then we have a stadium ready for use.
The new Finn Park!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets not get carried away here lads.

But you are 100% correct to point out that no foresight was given to such matters when building only 1/3 of a stand. We're run by total cowboys. Disgraceful that SF and the likes stood up and proclaimed this a World Class facility. Idiots.

Also, we see that Elisha states that:

“I will be writing to both the IFA and FAI seeking clarity about why the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium in Derry does not appear to be included as a potential venue at this stage of the bid,”

Lets hope she is equally willing to share their reply to that important question. It will no doubt highlight the utter farce that was the decision to build out only part of a stand whilst failing to even pay the contractor to dig out the foundations for the remaining sections to ensure a quicker construction if/when the money is made available. instead we opted for the cheapest solution. Disgraceful really.

And whilst i'm on a roll i still think an additional, wrap around stand behind the goals at the Showgrounds end should have been included in the stadium's redevelopment vision. To leave it out was another sign of settling for 2 or 3 rd best. Its not too much to expect a regional City like Derry serving the North West of Ireland to have a stadium of circa 6 to 8k seats.

--------------

Latest is that the plastic pitch rules us out of consideration as its only acceptable for qualifying rounds and not the main event. Given that its 5 years away they should offer to relay it in grass. Even if its just to ruffle a few of those IFA / FAI feathers! ;-)

PauliAlonso
First Team
First Team

Post by PauliAlonso »

I read that the plastic pitch is grand, but not for the final. Must check that out again.
marcoloco wrote:...if/when the money is made available...
Martin McGuinness "100% guaranteed" the funding for Phase 2. Let SF defend that lie.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

marcoloco wrote: Latest is that the plastic pitch rules us out of consideration as its only acceptable for qualifying rounds and not the main event. Given that its 5 years away they should offer to relay it in grass. Even if its just to ruffle a few of those IFA / FAI feathers! ;-)
Why would it ruffle FAI feathers?

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

gary wrote:
marcoloco wrote: Latest is that the plastic pitch rules us out of consideration as its only acceptable for qualifying rounds and not the main event. Given that its 5 years away they should offer to relay it in grass. Even if its just to ruffle a few of those IFA / FAI feathers! ;-)
Why would it ruffle FAI feathers?
Because i'm sure its convenient for them that our facilities don't comply. They don't want Derry on the list as we're in the 'north'. If Council turned around and said - we'll guarantee that the stadium meets all required criteria if the bid is successful- it would be a massive pain in the arse for both FAI/IFA neither of whom really want to include Derry.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

KEVK wrote: One thing that tournaments like these can provide is a rough estimate on the boost to the local economy it will bring if you are a host city.

Makes it easier for Council to justify extra spend as they can demonstrate a return on investment to the local economy - something they can't really do when it's just Derry City and Institute playing every week.
Definitely. Money which will probably now not come to Derry. And all because the Council believed that they could make more money at 60 pounds an hour hired out to Mickey Doherty and his mates.

I wrote to the Council back in 2016 about the pitch and the alleged commercial benefits of a plastic pitch. I will try and find the responses if anyone wants them.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

danny hale wrote:Maybe no grass is a big hint !?
For slow learners like Alisha ( is my hotel room big enough) McCallion !

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

PauliAlonso wrote:I read that the plastic pitch is grand, but not for the final. Must check that out again.
marcoloco wrote:...if/when the money is made available...
Martin McGuinness "100% guaranteed" the funding for Phase 2. Let SF defend that lie.
But that was in the Nortehrn Irish politics equivalent of Roman times.

McGuinness is dead, and the person he made that deal with (Peter Robinson) is long off the stage himself. I seriously doubt there's anyone who will stand over that agreement any more.

Ballymena will now be pushed to the front of the queue for the Stormont regional stadia funding if this bid is successful. And don't forget that Derry now has the added complexity of Stute needing funding for a new ground as well. I'd say the chances of two clubs in Derry getting stadium funding form Stormont are slim - particularly when one has a decent (by Irish standards) stadium already that it rarely comes close to filling anyway.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

rodgers wrote:https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/foo ... a-15360889

Dalymount will have a hybrid pitch, which is allowable for UEFA tournaments (and increasingly common these days).

Is the pitch in Cessena definitely 100% artificial ?

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thanks very much Steve. That seems to be a change from earlier plans announced. Maybe Delaney had a whisper in their ear. That way someone else might pitch in with money to help the rebuild. As I don't think the FAI are putting any in.

As for the Italian venue, I am only going off Wiki which does seem to say that it is. I googled a few pictures as well. But I can't be certain.
Last edited by rodgers on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzy

Post by Dazzy »

rodgers wrote:Thanks very much Steve. That seems to be a change from earlier plans announced. Maybe Delaney had a whose
per in their ear. That way someone else might pitch in with money to help the rebuild. As I don't think the FAI are putting any in.

As for the Italian venue, I am only going off Wiki which does seem to say that it is. I googled a few pictures as well. But I can't be certain.
Company and info on who installed the Cesena pitch:

http://www.limontasport.com/en-us/case- ... i-stadium/

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Thanks. That looks to me like a plastic pitch?

Good article here on the issue

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/33 ... -included/