Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
jordie

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by jordie »

davy_g wrote:
Greengo wrote:
danny hale wrote:Can't let this thread slip off page. Good pic in journal anyone got anymore to post ?
Is it this one ?

No harm to anyone and it's only my opinion. I dread what the finished article is going to look like :oops: Even a bit of terracing behind both nets would improve it.
if the stand was squared off and some standing terrace behind each net it would probably look ok

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

if the stand was squared off and some standing terrace behind each net it would probably look ok[/quote]

That would be perfect Jordie. There seems to be a wee bit extra on each end of the Lone Moor stand.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Terracing at both ends would be good. But is there enough space behind the Showgrounds end or would the greyhound track come up too close?

doll

Post by doll »

I have a few more pictures here from yesterday from outside the stadium.

ImageImageImageImage

John Bacon

Post by John Bacon »

Thanks for the updates Doll. Keep them coming

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

If Celtic Park gets to be a stadium for the rugby World Cup, pretty soon there will be one short stretch of road hosting three new pitches/stadia all developed with public (ie your) money.

A gaelic ground barely used with what will be by far the best facilities but a grass pitch possibly a bit too big for football.

A half finished badly designed football ground with a plastic pitch hemmed in at one end by a greyhound track.

And the best pitch of the lot from a football point of view surrounded by a greyhound track with no spectator facilities.

DCFC09

Post by DCFC09 »

Anyone know what facilities will be included in this phase of the stand? Is the bar that was talked about still going ahead?

daniel

Post by daniel »

DCFC09 wrote:Anyone know what facilities will be included in this phase of the stand? Is the bar that was talked about still going ahead?
Yes, the bar is going ahead in this current build.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

daniel wrote:
DCFC09 wrote:Anyone know what facilities will be included in this phase of the stand? Is the bar that was talked about still going ahead?
Yes, the bar is going ahead in this current build.
Will DCFC be running the bar, or will the Council be tendering it out ?

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

Here we go again, the ground revamp is nearing completion of a new phase of the ground and the political interloper is point scoring, when the suggestion of renaming was mooted long ago by genuine supporters. Ryan was a Derry City 'GREAT' and deserves a monument to pay tribute to his time with us. The brandywell was a cornerstone for soccer at all levels in the town and although politics played a big part in the demise of the ground which led to the extinguishing of senior football from the scene for a while, a supporter group led the club back on to the footballing map again. So would the politicians take a back seat and let those who use the ground decide.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

It's the councils ground, not ours.

Anyone who has a problem with the McBride foundation asking the council to name the ground after him has some serious issues.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Marty wrote:It's the councils ground, not ours.

Anyone who has a problem with the McBride foundation asking the council to name the ground after him has some serious issues.
There's no problem with SK asking the council to name the Brandwell Stadium after Ryan, but I'm afraid a lot of supporters might have issue with it. I spoke to a group of three supporters this afternoon in the town and they all agreed how great a young man Ryan was but they all said the Brandywell will always be the Brandywell, and they believed it would be very fitting if the two stands were called, one after Ryan and the other after Mark who also had a tragic death not so long ago. During the afternoon i also met two other individual supporters, who were of the same mind as the first group i met.

I agree with the said mentioned supporters. One of them also suggested a brass plaque to the players, either within the ground or outside the ground. That would allow other plaques to other players who died tragically. I call to mind young Jim McDermot who while playing for us was tragically killed in the mid-60's on the Racecourse road when a tree fell on top of his car.

I wished SF had of consulted with the supporters before they go ahead with their proposal. I just hope they don't make a political football over this.

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

I think the Brandywell, with the Ryan McBride Stand on one side and the Mark Farren Stand opposite would be a fitting tribute to 2 club legends taken far too young.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

Keyser Soze wrote:I think the Brandywell, with the Ryan McBride Stand on one side and the Mark Farren Stand opposite would be a fitting tribute to 2 club legends taken far too young.
That sounds like a fair proposal considering both young footballers taken early in life and had such a big impact for the club.

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

Keyser Soze wrote:I think the Brandywell, with the Ryan McBride Stand on one side and the Mark Farren Stand opposite would be a fitting tribute to 2 club legends taken far too young.
Sure they can name ground after Ryan and Stand after Mark.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

No need to go for the hyperboles.

I like many, would like to see tribute to those that have been taken from us in the new ground.

That fact that I would prefer that it remains as the Brandywell is a perfectly reasonable position to hold.

Bear

Post by Bear »

I personally do not think the Brandywell should be renamed after any particular player.

Respective stands are one possibility but what do we do in the future if this precedent is set ?
If any similar tragedies befall one of our players in the future we cannot give them equal recognition to that given to Mark or Ryan.

I would therefore suggest something along the lines of the Monument Park that NY Yankees have at Yankee Stadium.

This would give a dedicated area to pay tribute to heroes of the past and could have Ryan and Mark as deserving centre pieces.

Given the layout of the refurbished ground there are good areas behind either goal for such an area.
Last edited by Bear on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Bear wrote:I personally do not think the Brandywell should be renamed after any particular player.

Respective stands are one possibility but I what do we do in the future if this precedent is set ?
If any similar tragedies befall our of purchase players in the future we cannot give them equal recognition to that given to Mark or Ryan.

I would therefore suggest something along the hehe lines of the Monument Area that NY Yankees have at Yankee Stadium.

This would give a dedicated heroes of the past and could have Ryan and Mark as deserving centre pieces.

Given the layout of the refurbished ground there are good areas behind either goal for such an area.
Very sensible idea.

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

The Councils ground not ours...

Imagine if a big company came in and wanted to rename it after their brand name.....i.e. The Red Bull Stadium...

They would be willing to pump thousands of pounds into the stadium with branding etc...

How quick do you think our councillors would drop to their knees with bowls in hand ?

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

MariborKev wrote:

No need to go for the hyperboles.

I like many, would like to see tribute to those that have been taken from us in the new ground.

That fact that I would prefer that it remains as the Brandywell is a perfectly reasonable position to hold.
I hugely struggle with that view. Our captain died and people have a problem that the owners of the stadium might name the stadium after him.

Even if you held a different view, that you don't want the stadium named after Ryan, do people have that much of a problem with it that they feel the need to complain?