Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
DC-2010

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by DC-2010 »

Think he should be staying out of such discussions tbh

barry
First Team
First Team

Post by barry »

DC-2010 wrote:Think he should be staying out of such discussions tbh
Really :o the man who single handily keeps our club going isn’t entitled to an opinion?

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

Why?

As Chairman of the club, a pretty fanatical fan, and someone who has hugely backed the club financially through think and thin?
If he isnt entitled to an opinion, who on earth is????

cousin kev
Reserves
Reserves

Post by cousin kev »

Nurse !! DC-2010 has fallen outta bed again. :roll:

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

No doubt he has his own personal opinion, but I would have thought as chairman of the club. he should try and represent the supporters.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

pmac wrote:No doubt he has his own personal opinion, but I would have thought as chairman of the club. he should try and represent the supporters.
Surely as chairman and owner, he needs to represent the club and players and staff too.
And what he believes is the right direction to go for everyone.

As a matter of interest who said he isnt taking the view of fans ?
(Or at least what a number of fans want - there doesnt seem to be an agreement among fans)

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

pmac wrote:No doubt he has his own personal opinion, but I would have thought as chairman of the club. he should try and represent the supporters.
I think he should represent the Board of Directors opinion. Regardless of what way the supporters opinion sways there will still be disagreement and people will feel that POD is ignorant to their wishes as a paying customer.

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

The one thing POD isnt afraid to do is voice his opinion of which he is very much entitled to . I just think with an issue like this which does divide supporters maybea more neutral stance should be taken. Publicly i mean.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

gary wrote:
Surely as chairman and owner, he needs to represent the club and players and staff too.
And what he believes is the right direction to go for everyone.

As a matter of interest who said he isnt taking the view of fans ?
(Or at least what a number of fans want - there doesnt seem to be an agreement among fans)
There may not be a total agreement among the fans, but this poll shows how many feel.

http://www.derrycitychat.com/forum/view ... =2&t=15944

That is the only poll we have at the minute, and i would say it's not too far wrong, as almost everyone I've spoken to does not agree with POD's opinion.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Here's the news article on it : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... t-43042753

Disappointing that it doesn't outline any reasons for his stance, or acknowledge the fact that views are clearly split amongst the support base. But sure - we're only the supporters, after all....

Another great communication job by the club.

marcoloco
Manager
Manager

Post by marcoloco »

Its not unusual for the Club to have a stance on matters. Is this POD's view, the Club's view (including the position of Directors and Manager) as its not the supporters view which we know is mixed. Regardless of who's view it is he's still entitled to an opinion just like the rest of us!

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

Off course he will have an opinion and if he had said this is my personal stance then no problem. But it didnt come across like that in the interview.

rodgers
Manager
Manager

Post by rodgers »

Perhaps shareholders might get a chance to vote on it at AGM.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

I'm pretty sure Ryan was a supporter of Derry too.

Plenty of supporters support this.

mickyroddy

Post by mickyroddy »

I personally think a fitting tribute and happy medium would be The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium .

brandyball
Manager
Manager

Post by brandyball »

mickyroddy wrote:I personally think a fitting tribute and happy medium would be The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium .
This is what Phil is supporting sure!

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Marty wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ryan was a supporter of Derry too.

Plenty of supporters support this.
I'm pretty sure Ryan was a supporter of Derry too. :roll:

There are supporters who do support it, but would you agree that it appears that the majority (vast maybe) do not support it.

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

Derry City want Brandywell renamed after late skipper Ryan McBride

According to the Tele he now speaks for Derry City. The inference being it's not only his personal opinion.

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

pmac wrote:

There are supporters who do support it, but would you agree that it appears that the majority (vast maybe) do not support it.
Where does this opinion that the vast majority of supporters dont want it,
there seems to be a definitely split, but a lot of either neutral and dont mind
or would like the name change, the Manager, Chairman and local players clearly want the change
the locals in the area and Ryan's family want the change.

I dont see how anyway can just declare the fans are for or against it,

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

gary wrote:
pmac wrote:

Where does this opinion that the vast majority of supporters dont want it,
there seems to be a definitely split, but a lot of either neutral and dont mind
or would like the name change, the Manager, Chairman and local players clearly want the change
the locals in the area and Ryan's family want the change.

I dont see how anyway can just declare the fans are for or against it,
The only thing we have to go on re the view of supporters is the poll on here - which is very conclusive. No-one has shown any similar evidence for claims that the people of the Brandywell area are in favour of it btw - yet you're just accepting their views being declared. And the fact that the Foundation said that the views of local people were more important than the fans suggests that they know they don't have majority backing from supporters. Otherwise why would they have said it ?

The whole thing appears to be being steam-rollered through, with PoD caught under the wheel. I believe he and the board have been approached specifically to circumvent the lack of support for the idea amongst the club's fans. Otherwise they would've been approached from the start (as should fans btw). Even if he was luke warm or not in support of the idea, it would've taken serious balls to meet the family and tell them he wouldn't back the name change.

Whether we like it or not, it looks like we're getting a formalised hierarchy of tragedy amongst our players - past, present and future. God forbid that tragedy strikes again, but the nature of life and football is that it inevitably will at some point. And then what ? What is the Farren family had similarly got pressure going over the stadium name, meaning that the chance to call it after Ryan was now gone ?