Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
doll

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by doll »

£9.2 million has been spent on Casement Park which hasn't had a digger on site yet and is likely to be used to its full capacity once a year.

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

doll wrote:£9.2 million has been spent on Casement Park which hasn't had a digger on site yet and is likely to be used to its full capacity once a year.
Cant even see it being filled to capacity even once a year because the ulster council are hardly going to move the ulster final there when at present playing it in clones means they dont have to pay vat on the gate receipts. Same with all ireland quarter finals, league finals ect the gaa arnt going to move them matches north of the border and lose money.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

shauna wrote:
doll wrote:£9.2 million has been spent on Casement Park which hasn't had a digger on site yet and is likely to be used to its full capacity once a year.
Cant even see it being filled to capacity even once a year because the ulster council are hardly going to move the ulster final there when at present playing it in clones means they dont have to pay vat on the gate receipts. Same with all ireland quarter finals, league finals ect the gaa arnt going to move them matches north of the border and lose money.
Well you are wrong.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

shauna wrote:
I'm pretty sure the GAA have given a commitment to hold a certain number of Ulster games there every year, as part of the funding deal.

I went to watch Antrim play Longford in a football league match in April at Corrigan Park, where they play currently. It was a de-facto relegation play-off, with whoever lost due to go down. Despite that there was maybe 300people at it, and that was a big crowd for them. I've no doubt a good stadium will increase their crowds a bit - especially in the first few years - but they'll have a hell of a job trying to make a 36,000 seater not feel appallingly empty when they're hosting the likes of Leitrim, Wicklow and London in Div 4.

johnm
Reserves
Reserves

Post by johnm »

I'm sure that the Ulster council wouldn't have a parochial or political view to hiring it out for other sports/events which would bring substantial income.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

johnm wrote:I'm sure that the Ulster council wouldn't have a parochial or political view to hiring it out for other sports/events which would bring substantial income.
The problem is that the well-organised neighbouring residents will have strong views on this. As probably will the planners if and when they give it approval.

An enclosed stadium that size in the middle of a residential area is just daft.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Let's move then Joke

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

Marty wrote:
shauna wrote:
Well you are wrong.
so your saying the gaa are going to move the ulster final from clones to belfast and immediately lose 20% of the gate receipts by playing it there. I dont think the gaa are that stupid.

Marty
First Team
First Team

Post by Marty »

The economic realities of a stadium in Belfast far out weigh a stadium in Monaghan, Ulster final or otherwise.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Shauna wrote:
so your saying the gaa are going to move the ulster final from clones to belfast and immediately lose 20% of the gate receipts by playing it there. I dont think the gaa are that stupid.
I repeat - the GAA have committed to holding major games there as part of securing the funding from Stormont.

The value of growing Gaelic Games in Belfast/east Ulster, &, getting a world-class stadium at limited cost for themselves, will far outweigh whatever they lose on gate VAT.

Lord Lucan

Post by Lord Lucan »

Off topic , but stadium related . I was in Orlando's new stadium a few weeks ago, they have a designated smoke session for smoke bombs and flares etc Amazing atmosphere and showing what can be done to entice the fans to create an atmosphere. The planning that went into their fanzone and game experience was something else. Social media interaction throughout the game with fans was brilliant.

TenaciousDee

Post by TenaciousDee »

Lord Lucan wrote:The planning that went into their fanzone and game experience was something else. Social media interaction throughout the game with fans was brilliant.
A thread on its on certainly Lord Lucan. I think with the new stadium more needs to be done to generate that match experience. Social media pre-match needs improved, simple things like making a bigger deal of the team line-ups being revealed, pre-match interviews via Facebook Live/Periscope etc or even things as simple as photos taken of the pre-match warm ups. As for the fan zones, what kind of activities or services were on offer in Orlando?

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

A dolphin show !

This is getting ridiculous :D

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

Pity the place is full of loud mouthed Americans who wouldn't know if a ball was blew up or stuffed. Get a grip ffs

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

DC-2010

Post by DC-2010 »

Fuck me donzo appealing for people to stop hooding

shauna
First Team
First Team

Post by shauna »

DC-2010 wrote:Fuck me donzo appealing for people to stop hooding
The same hoods that he will be defending in a few weeks time when they build a bonfire on the flyover when the vast majority of people in the bog dont want it.

MariborKev

Post by MariborKev »

Hope they didn't fall over any loose rubble in the site in their rush to get a pat on the back

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/enviro ... -1-8071273

Lets see Phase 2 delivered.....

eugenio
Manager
Manager

Post by eugenio »

Lord. Lucan. Can Trumph your ace. Lol lol visited the Stranlorar Super Stadium mooted for the last?....?????!!!..years as the new home of Finn Harps
The skeleton of a new stand stands with a huge crane balanced over I a pile of muck ,rubble ,debris ,evidently left to rot looks like forever
At
Our Brandy at least is still a probability Orlando eat your heart out lol lol lol

pmac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by pmac »

That's called 'a brass ****ing neck.'