Brandywell Stadium Development

General Derry City talk & News. The heart of Derry City Chat.
danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Re: Brandywell Stadium Development

Post by danny hale »

Jeez that looks big for a dugout! Home or away one?

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

Chalkie wrote:Is it just me or is The Showgrounds beginning to look like the better stadium?
Think the council missed asking for the brandywell pitch on the first tender and embarassed to find that they got the two surfaces mixed up - well maybe not, but the showgrounds does look the normal shape of a basic stadium and we could switch over to the showgrounds when we get to the league side of the Europa. The big screen would be erected for the seated patrons in the B'well to watch the matches played in the showgrounds. How's that for a forward thinking council?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

cousin kev wrote:Just noticed in the pics. they're installing a lift to go up one floor? lazy Bassa's those directors. :lol:
Probably a DDA requirement, and rightly so. Brandywell should be able to cater for all visitors, including those in wheelchairs. Assuming the top of the stand is for Corporate space, they'll also need to get supplies up there as well. Though it does bring a new meaning to the idea of getting a lift to the game :D

The top tier of the new stand appears to be between 15 and 20 feet above the pitch, which should give a good view of the action below.

Does anyone know if the stand has been built out into where the dog track used to be in front of it ?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Thanks for the photos Doll. Great to see as an exile.

Conor

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the photos great to see them.... particularly impressed by those moody artistic clouds in the first one, (you could send those to the BBC weather report)

Glad to see that the Brandywell Road end looks like it's opened up again - I remember standing there as a child in the IL days.

I have to agree that it looks like the Showgrounds have been given priority and a real shame if the doggie track means there can never be a stand at that end (maybe the Dogs could run under the stand for a bit?)

Andy Bernard
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Andy Bernard »

cousin kev wrote:I pass the ground a lot of days and while its good to see progress, that wee stand is gonna look like shit sitting out on its own. perimeter wall looks well though :lol:

said it before, but the "quote" 21st century Brandywell will look like a Scottish 3rd division ground. :oops:

wish they would just complete it.
Agreed. The small new seating area (It's not a stand) is a symbol of Derry being given second class facilities again. That's what it represents to me.

Morto

Post by Morto »

Yep. It'll look like every other half arsed stadium in the country. If we were hoping this would see an uptick in attendance - then I think we'll be sadly mistaken when the initial curiosity is done.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

Morto wrote:Yep. It'll look like every other half arsed stadium in the country. If we were hoping this would see an uptick in attendance - then I think we'll be sadly mistaken when the initial curiosity is done.
Attendances is something we have to work on by being sales executives ourselves.

Buy a friend a match ticket or two, instead of a foyleside voucher, for Christmas/birthday gift. This is one for the club to get cracking on early.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

Can't let this thread slip off page. Good pic in journal anyone got anymore to post ?

Greengo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Greengo »

danny hale wrote:Can't let this thread slip off page. Good pic in journal anyone got anymore to post ?
Is it this one ?

brendy_éire

Post by brendy_éire »

Wee ground-share with Stute on the cards.

http://www.derryjournal.com/sport/footb ... -1-8149697

gary
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by gary »

brendy_éire wrote:Wee ground-share with Stute on the cards.

Cant see that being a running. if we cant avoid hassle against of Dundalk, Sligo and Rovers,
What chance have stute against IL clubs

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

gary wrote:

Cant see that being a running. if we cant avoid hassle against of Dundalk, Sligo and Rovers,
Most of the clubs they play have a fairly low profile, though they are due to host the PSNI in January :D

I think you're right that it probably won't happen though, which would be a shame. It would be an indictment on our ground if a minor team like Stute can't play there without hassle, and a waste of a new all-weather surface. Would also be nice to be able to watch two different teams from the same city play in two different countries' leagues at the same stadium in the space of less than 24hrs.

davy_g
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by davy_g »

Greengo wrote:
danny hale wrote:Can't let this thread slip off page. Good pic in journal anyone got anymore to post ?
Is it this one ?

No harm to anyone and it's only my opinion. I dread what the finished article is going to look like :oops: Even a bit of terracing behind both nets would improve it.

danny hale
Reserves
Reserves

Post by danny hale »

I agree WTF is that shape of a ground.

paul60
Reserves
Reserves

Post by paul60 »

stevebradley wrote:
gary wrote:

Most of the clubs they play have a fairly low profile, though they are due to host the PSNI in January :D

I think you're right that it probably won't happen though, which would be a shame. It would be an indictment on our ground if a minor team like Stute can't play there without hassle, and a waste of a new all-weather surface. Would also be nice to be able to watch two different teams from the same city play in two different countries' leagues at the same stadium in the space of less than 24hrs.
Stute themselves wouldn't put their supporters in the firing line of the few who are bent on stirring trouble against any group who visit the brandywell. Community workers are unable to ensure that trouble won't happen. The usual brats are aware that they are ahead of the game in organising disturbances and know that political activists will not persue potential members in elimination of the scourge that blights a number of areas from time to time especially under the cover of former religious bonfires. Maybe the Peace IV initiative money now on the table for 2017 -2020 could help and be directed to wider worthwhile groups rather than narrow channels it is steered towards at present.

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

paul60 wrote:
Stute themselves wouldn't put their supporters in the firing line of the few who are bent on stirring trouble against any group who visit the brandywell. Community workers are unable to ensure that trouble won't happen. The usual brats are aware that they are ahead of the game in organising disturbances and know that political activists will not persue potential members in elimination of the scourge that blights a number of areas from time to time especially under the cover of former religious bonfires. Maybe the Peace IV initiative money now on the table for 2017 -2020 could help and be directed to wider worthwhile groups rather than narrow channels it is steered towards at present.
All true. The one thing going in Stute's favour re using the Brandywell would be daytime kick-offs (though in Winter it would be getting dark when games finished). I think the local hoods are only getting out of their beds at 3pm after a night of trouble-making, and are less likely to cause problems without the cover of darkness (though I could be wrong on both of those).

aconnolly195

Post by aconnolly195 »

danny hale wrote:I agree WTF is that shape of a ground.
There was another image in of the new stand in the Derry News a few weeks back which looked far more impressive than the aerial view shown above.

[url][https://www.derrynow.com/soccer/brandyw ... 182239/url]

Keyser Soze
Manager
Manager

Post by Keyser Soze »

Watching the La liga game now on TV at Real Sociedad, I see they have come up with a novel idea of fans behind the net.

The stadium has a running track and there is a huge gap between the nets and the fans, but they seem to have set up some rows of temporary seating just behind the nets, probably adding to the atmosphere.

Work at the Brandywell?

stevebradley
Manager
Manager

Post by stevebradley »

Keyser Soze wrote:Watching the La liga game now on TV at Real Sociedad, I see they have come up with a novel idea of fans behind the net.

The stadium has a running track and there is a huge gap between the nets and the fans, but they seem to have set up some rows of temporary seating just behind the nets, probably adding to the atmosphere.

Work at the Brandywell?
We probably won't fill the Brandywell that often as it is, so there'd be a question mark over the need for temporary seating. Especially as it has a hire cost and brings a whole handlin' over health and safety too.

Rovers used temporary seating at Tallaght for their European run in 2014 (I think it was then). Had to get permission from UEFA for it. I'm guessing that any temporary seating at the Brandywell would need to be flagged up and approved as part of the stadium licensing process.

So I'm not sure it's needed or worth the hassle, except maybe for a good European run like in 2005.