Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News

Page 2 of 3 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Sligo Match
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

Keyser Soze wrote:
Imagine having to rely on a Crawley Town reject or a guy who scored 4 in 59 games to save us?

Sweet Jesus, this is embarrassing.

Roaring and shouting and jumping up and down on the touchline doesn't make you a manager. Tactics made you a manager and DD keeps getting shown up. Tell me what is the difference between what we are witnessing this season and what Shiels served up?

It's going to be a painful season, I just hope we can do enough to stay up.

I honestly believe his stint as a pundit on R.T.E got him the Derry job.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 am 
First Team
First Team

The Slough of Despond. Poor City : how low can you go !!!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:05 am 
First Team
First Team

So who would you nominate for Derry's man of the match tonight?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 am 
Manager
Manager

Anyone know why we kept playing (sorry tried to play) down the wings and then put high balls in - we didn’t win one header in the box !
And Sligo were bottom of league (and deserved to win) , we’ll be there soon with this type of display

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 am 
Manager
Manager

danny hale wrote:
Anyone know why we kept playing (sorry tried to play) down the wings and then put high balls in - we didn’t win one header in the box !
And Sligo were bottom of league (and deserved to win) , we’ll be there soon with this type of display

Because he doesn't know any other way to play. Last year he had McNamee to control the midfield and tempo of the game and he had Parkhouse up front to win those balls. This year he has Clifford doing little in the middle and no one up front with Parkhouses attributes.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:40 am 
Manager
Manager

danny hale wrote:

We put two crosses into the box in the first half last night - one from right from Jackie, one from the left from Mallon. In both cases, we had ONE player in the box. We are so negative, it's unreal. And not only that, we're not even good at being negative. Sligo defended, defended, defended and then countered. But it worked for them, they did it well and they were dangerous. What were we doing? I don't think even the players knew. Far too many touches on the ball, no shape to the team, very little forward movement, passing was awful etc etc. Talk of a Plan B? I don't think we have a proper Plan A. That was a horrendous watch last night. Truly horrendous.

I've tried not to moan a lot this year, cos, well "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything" but Decky was never going to take this team forward. I can understand why he was given the job, he brought everything together again last season and hats off to him. But this stint was NEVER going to be any different than his first. Big Phil might have a decision to make very soon.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

[quote="Keyser Soze"]

Roaring and shouting and jumping up and down on the touchline doesn't make you a manager. Tactics made you a manager and DD keeps getting shown up.

That's 100%. He has nothing to offer. Need things to change quickly or we will be fighting at the wrong end of the table.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:05 pm 

supremo wrote:
So who would you nominate for Derry's man of the match tonight?

Toal maybe the only player I can say played decent. Struggle to find any other players who played remotely well.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Gerrymc wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Roaring and shouting and jumping up and down on the touchline doesn't make you a manager. Tactics made you a manager and DD keeps getting shown up.

That's 100%. He has nothing to offer. Need things to change quickly or we will be fighting at the wrong end of the table.

Let's not forget this is his 2nd chance this season. The first 4 games were a disaster. He's had 6 months to put that right. Lose to Pats and there will be serious questions asked of his ability to take the team forward. You could even argue that the team are not buying into his methods and tactics from the performances and results to date.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

I've always said that Decky brings motivation and passion to the team however these fall on deaf ears eventually. Regards his tactical knowelege he's a one trick pony who never adapts his philosophy.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Barry McNamee preferred to play for Finn Harps than Declan Devine. Not a single other LOI club were remotely interested in appointing him once never mind twice.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

barry wrote:
I've always said that Decky brings motivation and passion to the team however these fall on deaf ears eventually. Regards his tactical knowelege he's a one trick pony who never adapts his philosophy.

Barry this is a fact. if you play in training possession football players will lap it up as the type of possession some teams play means very little actual hard running . But but but the opposition love it too because they can get a breather . We have played this push it around stuff with the killer ball absent because it’s not encouraged and because off ball running is v Lax in Derry set up,
This is coaching dominance not motivation I see no passion on the pitch but DECCY on the sidelines being passionate leave me frigid

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'd love to know what you have to show or demonstrate to get these magical 'Pro' Licence badges?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 pm 
First Team
First Team

He'll be looking a psv badge shortly

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'd love to know why we need so many coaches?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 am 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:

I wonder what they are all coaching, because watching us last night it would appear the answer is nothing.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Keyser Soze wrote:
brandyball wrote:

I wonder what they are all coaching, because watching us last night it would appear the answer is nothing.

Smacks of "jobs for the boys".

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:04 am 
First Team
First Team

I think a lot of people are being quite unfair here. Derry were never going to re do what was accomplished last season (which it seems everyone has forgotten about), and ill agree we’ve had a bit of a rough start. We lost Slogget (Dundalk) Parky (Sheffield) Junior (Israel) McNamee (Harps (for a part time setup)). Think about it realistically, if we had the cash and resources to sign that quality of player again we would’ve been able to hold onto all them mentioned above, and we would be competing at the same level as last year. However that’s not the case, and this isn’t the Premier League, players are signed on 1 year contracts and if a bigger club can sign them after the year is up that’s what happens. So we’re back to square one back like when Decky and co were appointed, only we’ve Walter instead of Parky, Mallon instead of Junior, Clifford instead of Slogget, McCormack instead of McNamee and so on. Until players are signed on multi year contracts where the management can have a few solid years with them, it’s like jumping from Derry, to Harps, to Sligo, to St Pats, to Cork. Managers more or less have a new team every year yet fans still expect the success of the year prior to be carried over.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andy Bernard wrote:
Barry McNamee preferred to play for Finn Harps than Declan Devine. Not a single other LOI club were remotely interested in appointing him once never mind twice.

Maybe Decky isn't the problem ?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

DCFC18 wrote:
I think a lot of people are being quite unfair here. Derry were never going to re do what was accomplished last season (which it seems everyone has forgotten about), and ill agree we’ve had a bit of a rough start. We lost Slogget (Dundalk) Parky (Sheffield) Junior (Israel) McNamee (Harps (for a part time setup)). Think about it realistically, if we had the cash and resources to sign that quality of player again we would’ve been able to hold onto all them mentioned above, and we would be competing at the same level as last year. However that’s not the case, and this isn’t the Premier League, players are signed on 1 year contracts and if a bigger club can sign them after the year is up that’s what happens. So we’re back to square one back like when Decky and co were appointed, only we’ve Walter instead of Parky, Mallon instead of Junior, Clifford instead of Slogget, McCormack instead of McNamee and so on. Until players are signed on multi year contracts where the management can have a few solid years with them, it’s like jumping from Derry, to Harps, to Sligo, to St Pats, to Cork. Managers more or less have a new team every year yet fans still expect the success of the year prior to be carried over.

Walter, Mallon and McCormack are good players. Not like-for-like with the players we lost, but good players. Man-for-man, over the course of a season, how many Sligo players from the starting XI on Friday night would you take to Derry? Not many, I reckon. We're being let down by dross tactics and whatever's being done (or not done) in training.

Last year was great and it was always going to be tough to do that again. But losing 2-0 at home to Sligo without the Sligo keeper having to make a single save in 90+ minutes, isn't down to the players we lost.

Page 2 of 3 [ 51 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News