Manager

https://www.derrycityfc.net/2020/05/clu ... nd-league/

Post subject: Re: All Island League.
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
https://www.derrycityfc.net/2020/05/club-statement-all-island-league/

The Club clearly want something to change in respect to the current format which is not financially viable moving forward. I suspect that the prospect of a combined league structure is deemed better than the current set up. If european places are not under threat then Clubs in the north have nothing to lose finanically. It would also serve Derry well with larger home gates and less travel time and expenses. It's easy to see why Clubs favour it when looking at it from a viability perspective.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Reading the statement in full it seems as if Derry would like the IFA and FAI to carry out some sort of survey among fans as to whether they are in favour.

I would like to think that a majority of fans would be in favour. Ideally for me, it is a staging post towards a fully integrated all Ireland league.

The one bit of the statement I didn't like is where it seems to blame smaller clubs' difficulties in keeping clubs afloat for the inability of the 'bigger' clubs to progress.

On the whole, pleased to see Derry come out in favour of it publicly.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

I think if football is to be viable in Ireland it has to do it on an all island basis at some point.

Is the time right now? We will only find out by trying it, but I genuinely don't think the majority of fans will support it, so it might be a non-runner from the start if the fans are asked their opinion.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

The north won't want an all-island structure. Too many of the IFA-heads oppose it politically, and they also fear it will mean the start of the end of their own little fiefdoms and power.

Given that the vast majority of NI clubs are based in staunchly unionist areas, it is highly likely that any polling done of fans on the idea would also return a negative result reflecting their political outlook as much as anything else.

We're dealing with people steeped in a culture and tradition of distrusting the south and seeing threats and danger in any and all change. Football is no different in that unfortunately.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
The north won't want an all-island structure. Too many of the IFA-heads oppose it politically, and they also fear it will mean the start of the end of their own little fiefdoms and power.

Given that the vast majority of NI clubs are based in staunchly unionist areas, it is highly likely that any polling done of fans on the idea would also return a negative result reflecting their political outlook as much as anything else.

We're dealing with people steeped in a culture and tradition of distrusting the south and seeing threats and danger in any and all change. Football is no different in that unfortunately.

Steve Beacom on Radio Foyle on Friday said Linfield are very much in favour of exploring the idea but it would be the so called lesser clubs that would oppose it.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
stevebradley wrote:

Steve Beacom on Radio Foyle on Friday said Linfield are very much in favour of exploring the idea but it would be the so called lesser clubs that would oppose it.

I don't doubt the majority of Linfield's Board would support an AIL. They're a big fish in a small pond with very little water. They could easily become one of the dominant forces in any AIL - becoming to Ulster's unionist population what Barcelona are to Catalan nationalists.

Their fans is a different matter though. A lot of the other clubs know they'd go back to being small fry in an AIL, so wouldn't support it. And even some of the bigger clubs (e.g. Crusaders) are member run - so it wouldn't matter if their Board supported it, as the fans would have the final say.

There is no way any decision on an AIL in the north would be just about football.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Whilst the LOI is of a slightly higher standard, barring Rovers and Dundalk there is not a great deal between the top 4/5 in the Irish league and 3-7 in the LOI. The possible top division of 10 or 12 teams are of a good size and would have little to fear. Income would undoubtedly increase enough to cover extra expenses.
The lesser teams would start in a second/third tier which could be a regionalised system for cost purposes.
It would be tremendous for Derry fans to play meaningful matches against close rivals. Many more away matches would be available to a bigger % of fans.
The time has gone for bearing any grudge from the late 60s/early 70s. The landscape is a great deal different than it was then.
I'm absolutely for an AI league. Can see it only as beneficial to us with no obvious downsides.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

Agree with Mightymccourt, think some of the bigger Irish League clubs would do better than some in the South sometimes seem to think.

While the Irish League, like the rest of the North, is still very Belfast dominated, I also think that for teams like Ballinamallard and Institute there would be a benefit to the new structures, potentially allowing for games against Sligo, Harps and Derry etc depending on where they were. That would make small but noticeable differences to their gate receipts every year.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 pm 
Manager
Manager

We already have a league a so called all Ireland league where there are teams from the four ancient provinces. What more do these crocodiles want

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

forza wrote:
We already have a league a so called all Ireland league where there are teams from the four ancient provinces. What more do these crocodiles want

What crocodilles ?

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 am 
Manager
Manager

Crocodiles ? !
‘All Island’ league it is then - if only it was so simple.
Kieron Lucid / Hypercube did a year long research project last year and it’s got bogged down in the details , big 6 for it , the rest ?. Full report out soon
But money talks and probably post covid , to have any chance of football anywhere in Ireland we will need to look at any lifelines - well said DCFC .
Slainte

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

danny hale wrote:
Crocodiles ? !
‘All Island’ league it is then - if only it was so simple.
Kieron Lucid / Hypercube did a year long research project last year and it’s got bogged down in the details , big 6 for it , the rest ?. Full report out soon
But money talks and probably post covid , to have any chance of football anywhere in Ireland we will need to look at any lifelines - well said DCFC .
Slainte

I still don't support this two tier approach to the league as suggested by Hypercube. But Derry seem to want it as its an improvement on the current set up. I personally see that as short sightedness on Derry's part but do understand their willingness to get moving with a new all island format. Still believe that best solution is a standard format hierarchy league of 3 or 4 divisions. Am i dreaming - probably - but i'd rather hold out for that than dabble with the proposed structure. If enough money was on the table the big 6 would jump regardless. Maybe thats what needs to happen before the minows realise that there's no future playing amongst themselves. Better to be in it that outside it.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

There is mention of “minnows‘ here Seriously I see a return to how it used to be with just local players part time playing for their own city or town team I cannot see the raft of loaners continuing nor the big salary packages players among us here after this is over . We will all be “minnows’’ again then I see no mileage in All island leagues ...regional leagues etc .while this virus remains which prob will be a long time Then the massive recession then has to be faced first so the days of mega buck players I think are numbered . I see a return to 1950s type teams . I watched the Bundesliga behind closed doors and read all the big newspapers comments after The verdict ... disaster ! ....I rather go on Sat to watch a junior Club from the pitch side The total lack of caring re Celtic being awarded the title ...followed by Liverpool possibly shows the reality now is that football as it was up till now has little place in peoples feelings and the fact that this situation will be here for the foreseeable future needs to be faced Realistically not by a raft of experimental hokey pokery

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:47 pm 
Manager
Manager

Football in Ireland and Derry City as a business are really at the mercy of this virus and government restrictions.

As Eugenio mentioned, I watched some Bundesliga games and they were awful. Football without any fans is soulless and not an attractive proposition.

It might be ok for the massive clubs for a while, they have the fincancial might to survive, but lower leagues like the LoI will struggle badly if there is another year or 18 months with no fans allowed at games. Many clubs will die.

Talk of an AIL is all pointless as long as the virus is with us.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

eugenio wrote:
There is mention of “minnows‘ here Seriously I see a return to how it used to be with just local players part time playing for their own city or town team I cannot see the raft of loaners continuing nor the big salary packages players among us here after this is over . We will all be “minnows’’ again then I see no mileage in All island leagues ...regional leagues etc .while this virus remains which prob will be a long time Then the massive recession then has to be faced first so the days of mega buck players I think are numbered . I see a return to 1950s type teams . I watched the Bundesliga behind closed doors and read all the big newspapers comments after The verdict ... disaster ! ....I rather go on Sat to watch a junior Club from the pitch side The total lack of caring re Celtic being awarded the title ...followed by Liverpool possibly shows the reality now is that football as it was up till now has little place in peoples feelings and the fact that this situation will be here for the foreseeable future needs to be faced Realistically not by a raft of experimental hokey pokery

There'll always be bigger teams and smaller teams even if its all local players. Derry's support base means that we should always be larger than Institute. If we only have local players to chose from then we would most likely get first choice on those players. The term minnows is not said with any lack of respect. just an appreciation that in every league there will be bigger clubs and small clubs.

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Keyser Soze wrote:
Football in Ireland and Derry City as a business are really at the mercy of this virus and government restrictions.

As Eugenio mentioned, I watched some Bundesliga games and they were awful. Football without any fans is soulless and not an attractive proposition.

It might be ok for the massive clubs for a while, they have the fincancial might to survive, but lower leagues like the LoI will struggle badly if there is another year or 18 months with no fans allowed at games. Many clubs will die.

Talk of an AIL is all pointless as long as the virus is with us.

Most clubs play in front of empty stadiums anyway? there's only a handful in ireland that can pull in a crowd. Ironically it could be a great leveller in the short term if the bigger clubs can't rely on their fan base. that aside they will always have more sponsorship opportunities that smaller clubs. but take UCD or many. will they suffer if their 300 gate is put on ice for 2 season?

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

Marco I didn’t word my post the best I know you were not disrespectful about minnows but you see we are all minnows now Look Scotland Celtic England The big 3 Germany Bayern etc Here Dundalk The rest are there to just make up the numbers The point is ,that with reduced budgets there might be a more open playing field sometime , as bringing in big money boys is sure to go. So we might rely on locals again and Eg Stute might just get their fair share rem Coleraine got a huge lot of our best players for a long time. Europe now ! that word used to conjure up magic Benfica PSG Vitesse now the scramble for Europe is about money as we draw Fc Jitterbug from Jokeoistan a totally meaningless fixture . We are minnows now most of us just there to make the numbers Probably the balancing out of finances will reduce standards in the future ... I suspect it will .. Our lads then won’t be as welcome in England then either as our standards drop so it could be back to a type of football that we had in the 50s but if it were honest and success could no longer be just bought ala Chelsea Man City PSG Dubai Ltd. Dundalk maybe we could learn to love it again . I loved our wee club winning the cup,1954 as a bottom of the league outfit but the crowds loved it the magic was there. Btw who bought that magic

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

eugenio wrote:
Marco I didn’t word my post the best I know you were not disrespectful about minnows but you see we are all minnows now Look Scotland Celtic England The big 3 Germany Bayern etc Here Dundalk The rest are there to just make up the numbers The point is ,that with reduced budgets there might be a more open playing field sometime , as bringing in big money boys is sure to go. So we might rely on locals again and Eg Stute might just get their fair share rem Coleraine got a huge lot of our best players for a long time. Europe now ! that word used to conjure up magic Benfica PSG Vitesse now the scramble for Europe is about money as we draw Fc Jitterbug from Jokeoistan a totally meaningless fixture . We are minnows now most of us just there to make the numbers Probably the balancing out of finances will reduce standards in the future ... I suspect it will .. Our lads then won’t be as welcome in England then either as our standards drop so it could be back to a type of football that we had in the 50s but if it were honest and success could no longer be just bought ala Chelsea Man City PSG Dubai Ltd. Dundalk maybe we could learn to love it again . I loved our wee club winning the cup,1954 as a bottom of the league outfit but the crowds loved it the magic was there. Btw who bought that magic

Fc Jitterbug from Jokeoistan. :lol: In order to get to play Benfica and PSG we must prove our worth against these wonderful little clubs that all start out with the same ambition as us. Just 1 win would turn them into local heroes.

To me its all relative. Success not necessarily about winning silverware. Dundalk and Rovers are great examples. Both having pushed Irish football onto the European Stage in recent years. To me that's winning though they never lifted any cup. I watched Spurs thrash Rovers at WHL when ONeil was their manager. Now i was a regualr at Spurs watching the best that England and Europe had then Rovers turn up. Just being there had put down a marker. Something for other Irish Clubs to aim for. For me that was success. The result was irrelevant. Good to see Spurs strut their stuff but Rover's had proven that it's possible. SK's Dundalk were the next Club to succeed in Europe. No siliverware but letting the rest know that its possible. Domestically we all love to win. Even league Cups. Losing to Dundalk this year was cruel but their luck ran out at the Aviva. Maybe a sign that what goes around comes around. We just need to be patient but i'm sure we'll be back to winning soon.

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
eugenio wrote:

Marco enjoyed that

Fc Jitterbug from Jokeoistan. :lol: In order to get to play Benfica and PSG we must prove our worth against these wonderful little clubs that all start out with the same ambition as us. Just 1 win would turn them into local heroes.

To me its all relative. Success not necessarily about winning silverware. Dundalk and Rovers are great examples. Both having pushed Irish football onto the European Stage in recent years. To me that's winning though they never lifted any cup. I watched Spurs thrash Rovers at WHL when ONeil was their manager. Now i was a regualr at Spurs watching the best that England and Europe had then Rovers turn up. Just being there had put down a marker. Something for other Irish Clubs to aim for. For me that was success. The result was irrelevant. Good to see Spurs strut their stuff but Rover's had proven that it's possible. SK's Dundalk were the next Club to succeed in Europe. No siliverware but letting the rest know that its possible. Domestically we all love to win. Even league Cups. Losing to Dundalk this year was cruel but their luck ran out at the Aviva. Maybe a sign that what goes around comes around. We just need to be patient but i'm sure we'll be back to winning soon.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News