Manager

But no details of the new format?

Post subject: Re: New Format?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

Keyser Soze wrote:

Top 6 spilt away after first series of games... i guess its more similar to how Scotland do it but as we've got a 10 team league we need to get a little creative.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... dwVb1P5Dgo

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Top 6 spilt away after first series of games... i guess its more similar to how Scotland do it but as we've got a 10 team league we need to get a little creative.

If this is genuinely what the proposed change is then I'll personally be disappointed, but not surprised.

The League of Ireland has tried tinkering with every possible format in the past. None has improved the trajectoory of the league. Some have even made things worse (which I believe a split will do, by playing the same teams too often).

Instead of shuffling round the deckchairs on the Titanic, we all know what is needed to improve Irish football. And that's proper marketing of the league, proper prize money and funding for clubs, and government help in developing good quality stadia. But the FAI are skint as a result of their own failings, and don't give a fig about the league anyway.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

https://www.the42.ie/10-key-points-from ... 5-May2019/

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm 
Reserves
Reserves

Each new idea they come up with gets worse in my opinion. More teams in the league is required but they seem to want to give us more games between the same teams.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:01 pm 
Manager
Manager

yef from the port wrote:
Each new idea they come up with gets worse in my opinion. More teams in the league is required but they seem to want to give us more games between the same teams.

I would support more teams if there quality and resources was there but its not at the moment. No point having more teams for the craic when they can't field competitive teams and these games serve no ones interest. I would prefer 12, 14, 16 competitive teams but we'll not get there without serious investment and improved professionalism amongst the clubs on the fringes.

This year the 10 team league has proved enjoyable. Derry dropping points to the bottom 2 clubs as have Bohs and others. Games must be competitive to maintain and improve standards otherwise interest will fall away.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

yef from the port wrote:
but they seem to want to give us more games between the same teams.

That's coming from the clubs themselves rather than the FAI or any other stakeholder - Derry doesn't want to play UCD, they'd rather play Rovers again. €€€

A league split like this is decent enough. The promotion/relegation aspect is new and will provide decent games which should increase attendances - there's more to play for. Feel bad for the bottom group in the split, they really have nothing to play for. They wouldn't have anyway at that stage of the season, but putting them in a separate, closed group only highlights it more.

We still can't get away from the biggest problem though, money. A new format can help drive change but the league still needs heavy investment and promotion.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

More games against fewer teams is not the way to go and this appears to be one of the consequences of this proposal.

I would hope Derry are not in favour.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm 
Reserves
Reserves

marcoloco wrote:
yef from the port wrote:

I would support more teams if there quality and resources was there but its not at the moment. No point having more teams for the craic when they can't field competitive teams and these games serve no ones interest. I would prefer 12, 14, 16 competitive teams but we'll not get there without serious investment and improved professionalism amongst the clubs on the fringes.

This year the 10 team league has proved enjoyable. Derry dropping points to the bottom 2 clubs as have Bohs and others. Games must be competitive to maintain and improve standards otherwise interest will fall away.

Agree with ye on the quality one but the only way the clubs will improve is by playing better quality of opposition. Something the bigger clubs may have to suck up for a season or two. It has to be about making the league stronger in the ping term. The league is struggling with no sign of improvement anytime soon. Splitting the league after 1 round of games jesus gonna kill the league IMO

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

A top division consisting of 16/18/20 teams with a division below is the only way to go in football.

It means:

- you play each other home and away
- rivalries and the big games retain an appeal and novelty
- more variety and less familiarity as familiarity breeds contempt. I'm sick of seeing us play Dundalk this season

Scottish league suffers from the same problems and their clubs won't give up their guaranteed two home games a season versus Celtic/Rangers.

Unfortunately ROI is too small a country to sustain a top division of that size with a division below it and only an All-Island league could cater for that.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

A load of shite. A Stupid idea when they did it 20 years ago stupid idea now

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

KEVK wrote:
A top division consisting of 16/18/20 teams with a division below is the only way to go in football.

It means:

- more variety and less familiarity as familiarity breeds contempt. I'm sick of seeing us play Dundalk this season

Scottish league suffers from the same problems and their clubs won't give up their guaranteed two home games a season versus Celtic/Rangers.

Unfortunately ROI is too small a country to sustain a top division of that size with a division below it and only an All-Island league could cater for that.

There are only 20 clubs in the LOI. One of those (Limerick) is hanging on by its teeth, and another (Cabinteely) is only there by default and has failed to grow a fanbase etc.

15 or 20 years ago there were a number of clubs vying to get into the LOI. Anyone else remember Mullingar Town and Mullingar Athletic both publicly pushing for a league spot in the biggest town in the Midlands, for example ? Mullingar Athletic even signed a load of young players form England to put them in a strong position to get the nod (Kildare County got accepted in instead).

Fast forward to now - no-one is interested in joining the league, and we're actually 2 clubs down on where we were only a few seasons ago.

The reason is that joining the LOI is financial suicide. There is no money in it for clubs, it will at the very least cost you as much as you get back just to exist in the league never-mind challenge, and it's a big diversion from your youth/junior etc set ups. So why would any club bother ?

The likes of Tralee Dynamoes, Castlebar Celtic, Mullingar Town, Monaghan United etc could probably be persuaded to join the league if it was made worth their while. That's why the FAI needs to sort out the prize and participation money.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
KEVK wrote:

It means:

There are only 20 clubs in the LOI. One of those (Limerick) is hanging on by its teeth, and another (Cabinteely) is only there by default and has failed to grow a fanbase etc.

15 or 20 years ago there were a number of clubs vying to get into the LOI. Anyone else remember Mullingar Town and Mullingar Athletic both publicly pushing for a league spot in the biggest town in the Midlands, for example ? Mullingar Athletic even signed a load of young players form England to put them in a strong position to get the nod (Kildare County got accepted in instead).

Fast forward to now - no-one is interested in joining the league, and we're actually 2 clubs down on where we were only a few seasons ago.

The reason is that joining the LOI is financial suicide. There is no money in it for clubs, it will at the very least cost you as much as you get back just to exist in the league never-mind challenge, and it's a big diversion from your youth/junior etc set ups. So why would any club bother ?

The likes of Tralee Dynamoes, Castlebar Celtic, Mullingar Town, Monaghan United etc could probably be persuaded to join the league if it was made worth their while. That's why the FAI needs to sort out the prize and participation money.

Don't let the Irish Government off the hook either. How much financial assistance does the GAA receive annually from Irish Government and why is similar assistance not replicated for LoI?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:59 am 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Don't let the Irish Government off the hook either. How much financial assistance does the GAA receive annually from Irish Government and why is similar assistance not replicated for LoI?

I'd agree on that. But the Government will only ever fund capital projects, like stadia development.

What makes the LOI financial suicide is the day-to-day running cost, not one-off capital projects. There would be no point someone like Tralee Dynamoes getting some money to put a new stand if they then still struggled to make the costs of being in the league stack-up in the first place.

And don't forget that it's the FAI which distributes government grants for football btw. There was money available for lots of capital projects at non-league clubs who stroked Delaney's ego and kept him in power. Including a ground in Clones that was sycophantically even named after him.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:12 am 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
marcoloco wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

If this is genuinely what the proposed change is then I'll personally be disappointed, but not surprised.

The League of Ireland has tried tinkering with every possible format in the past. None has improved the trajectoory of the league. Some have even made things worse (which I believe a split will do, by playing the same teams too often).

Instead of shuffling round the deckchairs on the Titanic, we all know what is needed to improve Irish football. And that's proper marketing of the league, proper prize money and funding for clubs, and government help in developing good quality stadia. But the FAI are skint as a result of their own failings, and don't give a fig about the league anyway.

Well said - can’t see the proposed All Ireland league happening any time soon either.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/football/derry-city

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News