Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: A weird phase
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

I’ve been lucky getting to every game lately but the realisation that we have met all the bottom teams over a long number of games has worried me as now we have to step up our game as the big guns are coming up .Realistically , playing those scrapping for survival,, and in the case of Wexford just poss playing for pens , does affect the way the game goes ! I’m a bit anxious that after this run Derry may find it hard to find necessary higher gear . I truly hope I’m wrong :oops: but I don’t recall a season when we had so many games against lower teams in a row . But positives Defence is v secure aParkhouse is on fire Junior was on fire and hopefully rekindles that magic after a longish lay off The new boys now need to raise their game to the expectations of the fans and all in all a very exciting series of games including a Cup Final and hopefully a great Cup draw to fire us on . I expect very different types of games now

Post subject: Re: A weird phase
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:40 pm 
Manager
Manager

eugenio wrote:
I’ve been lucky getting to every game lately but the realisation that we have met all the bottom teams over a long number of games has worried me as now we have to step up our game as the big guns are coming up .Realistically , playing those scrapping for survival,, and in the case of Wexford just poss playing for pens , does affect the way the game goes ! I’m a bit anxious that after this run Derry may find it hard to find necessary higher gear . I truly hope I’m wrong :oops: but I don’t recall a season when we had so many games against lower teams in a row . But positives Defence is v secure aParkhouse is on fire Junior was on fire and hopefully rekindles that magic after a longish lay off The new boys now need to raise their game to the expectations of the fans and all in all a very exciting series of games including a Cup Final and hopefully a great Cup draw to fire us on . I expect very different types of games now

We need both Parkhouse & Junior to stay fit as Davis (some say is finding his feet) seems to be no option at all. Delap must be wondering how Davis is ahead of him.
On the Cup match A WIN IS A WIN but I'll never get those 90mins back as it was dreadful to watch.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Eugino, its an interesting post for a few reasons. There's the point that you mention regarding lifting the tempo when the opposition improves. I personally see no problem with this and think our players will benefit from being pushed to their limits rather than dropping to the standard of their opposition. So i fully welcome tougher games as I think it'll give the likes of Barry McN a bit of urgency in his game that otherwise mike be lacking. I'm also keen to see McCrudden against better opposition and hopefully McCauley too whenever it is he finds fitness and form.

The other point that crossed my mind with our run of games against poorer teams - it doesn't half get a bit dull. When your playing harps twice in a week, UCD twice in a few weeks, waterford twice in a week it really does highlight how we'd benefit from an all Ireland league or even an all Ireland cup. I do wonder what the players and staff make of playing the same teams 4,5 or 6 times a season?

Is it any wonder that attendances drop as there's a bit too much familiarity with opposing teams and fans. Fixture schedules is poor and there's a lack of depth in the game particularly for those teams wanting to push on and raise standards.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

At least we have most of the bigger teams at home. The thing about fixture scheduling etc. The FAI couldn't care less about the league and they obviously need a clear out from the top down which will hardly be forth coming. I'm not sure we'll see an all Ireland competition any time soon.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:04 am 
Manager
Manager

Looking forward to the Rovers game on Friday. They should bring a few fans too which adds to the atmosphere. So giving that this is 3rd v 2nd is there an outside chance that would could mount a challenge? Personally i think our battle is with Bohs and Pats but interested to hear others...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Marco. Yes indeed I must admit I got a feeling of complacency lately which saw we very irate at losing v Finn Harps I almost took the attitude that it was our God given right to just win .Wexford too I was feeling they will just roll over to us Foolish thinking from me. And I know from my experience that this attitude can creep into a dressing room Re supporting yes indeed I didn’t like Waterford Waterford then in two weeks we have Waterford again Then UCD and Harps games sandwiched in Scheduling in LOI has always been a scandal .
Re ROVERS it’s good to look forward to this and I hope the atmosphere will be red hot and our lads rise to the occasion I’m boosted too by your confidence. now Good man

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deckys job to lift the players... Hes done well so far... lets leave it there shall we...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

He's done amazingly well and we must keep reminding everyone of that.
I'm just hoping a few more of our current players will be signed soon on extended contracts.
I have every faith that wherever possible Declan is doing just that.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

Greengo wrote:
Deckys job to lift the players... Hes done well so far... lets leave it there shall we...

If you read Marco post and mine I’m a bit bemused by this We are commenting on OUR feelings We esp MYself said I had the negative approach at time and I held my hand up on this. No where has there been any suggestion DECCY is not doing a great job In fact my posts have ALL backed Dec But a Forum surely is about friends chatting as Marco and I did So “leave what.” Where “???please tell

me

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am 
Manager
Manager

There is a key 4 week period coming up which I believe will define/make or break our season.

First there's the cup game against Dundalk on 23rd August. Then the League Cup Final against either Dundalk or Bohs - timing TBC, but probably early September. And finally the Bohs league game on 20th September.

Those 3 games are going to be huge for us in different ways. Hopefully we can have all 3 of them at home (though I fear we'll have to travel for the LC Final, after being at home last season).

Three wins out of those 3 games would be an almighty result. Especially beating the same team twice in different competitions in a short space of time (which we have often struggled to do).

Let's hope we can do it. If only to keep our Treble untouched for another year 8-)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 am 
Manager
Manager

You get to chose 1 victory over Dundalk. Would it be in the League Cup Final or FAI Cup? Either way our Treble is saved. I'm not greedy so i'll settle for either! :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

eugenio wrote:
No where has there been any suggestion DECCY is not doing a great job In fact my posts have ALL backed Dec But a Forum surely is about friends chatting as Marco and I did So “leave what.” Where “???please tell me

I'm not suggesting that he isnt doing a great job either...And yes this forum is for like minded Derry City fans to discuss all things DCFC...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

sunshine83 wrote:
eugenio wrote:

We need both Parkhouse & Junior to stay fit as Davis (some say is finding his feet) seems to be no option at all. Delap must be wondering how Davis is ahead of him.
On the Cup match A WIN IS A WIN but I'll never get those 90mins back as it was dreadful to watch.

Why would that be? Delap has been piss poor every time he has started or came on. Davis is only in the squad 8 weeks, he has scored and assisted and isn't even playing in his rightful position.

Decky said at the start of the season Delap was going to have a big influence this season. He's been so wrong on this one its criminal. Malone has had more of an influence and he has come out of no where.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 pm 

stevebradley wrote:
First there's the cup game against Dundalk on 23rd August. Then the League Cup Final against either Dundalk or Bohs - timing TBC, but probably early September.

At present Steve that game will be played the weekend September 15th.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

To be fair spectators at games continually say. “But so and so is not played in his rightful position” Strangely this season this comment seems to have some credence maybe. Posters who have seen players play might like to post on what is this or that players best position . This is not to detract from coaching staffs setting out a team shape ....it’s just a light forum topic ....rem tho that eg Parkie can hardly be dislodged from there he plays nor Junior either so sometimes players must just have to wait and here is where the bits of discontent might fester .
Just to k off the wee point Delap best position ? Cole ? Mc Crudden ? Mc Auley? Davis? Malone? Mc Crystal?? What do you all think and would you tamper with team shape to accommodate anyone ?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Dundalk to play Bohs on the Monday (in League Cup semi) and then us on the Friday in the FAI.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Dundalk to play Bohs on the Monday (in League Cup semi) and then us on the Friday in the FAI.

Hopefully they'll need extratime for the Monday match.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

eugenio wrote:
To be fair spectators at games continually say. “But so and so is not played in his rightful position” Strangely this season this comment seems to have some credence maybe. Posters who have seen players play might like to post on what is this or that players best position . This is not to detract from coaching staffs setting out a team shape ....it’s just a light forum topic ....rem tho that eg Parkie can hardly be dislodged from there he plays nor Junior either so sometimes players must just have to wait and here is where the bits of discontent might fester .
Just to k off the wee point Delap best position ? Cole ? Mc Crudden ? Mc Auley? Davis? Malone? Mc Crystal?? What do you all think and would you tamper with team shape to accommodate anyone ?

Davis - No position (Not good enough)
Malone - Excellent young talent. Best Pos - possibly a 6.
McCrudden - Wide left
McAuley - Bench until he's fit enough.
Cole - Right Back at the minute
Delap - Bench at minute
McCrystal - Bench at minute

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

Also Malone hasn't come out of nowhere. Playing regular with the 19s and was one of Quiggs most exciting prospects.
Which we're now seeing.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

Hopefully they'll need extratime for the Monday match.

:lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News