Logo

Register    Login    Forum    FAQ
Sooty Olive

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Post subject: Gerard Doherty
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:45 pm 

Surprised there hasn't been a thread here, but DD confirmed that Doherty will not be back.

The man gave 10 years service, and served as captain during some of the most difficult times for the club.

He was nominated for Goalkeeper of the Year on a number of occasions and as Decky said during his testimonial dinner recently, he was called into a Northern Ireland squad whilst he was playing domestically, not many can say that.

He certainly cared, more than many, and the story of the 2012 Cup Final will probably be the one that stands the test of time. That photo of him and Molloy in the dressing room is fairly iconic. The penalty save against Brennan in Dalymount. The penalty saves this season. There are many ones that could be listed.

People may have whinged about him on crosses, or his distribution, but he was one of the top keepers in the league for close to a decade. One only has to remember the times when we haven’t had a good keeper

I wish him the best and its up to Cherrie and Gartside to step up now.

Post subject: Re: Gerard Doherty
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm 
Reserves
Reserves

I came on here to try to find out what is going with Gerard. It seems he is gone.

A brilliant servant to the club over a period that spanned 20 years. Can anyone else say that?

Thanks to Gerard for being an excellent keeper (in my view he was regularly the best keeper in the league) and also a great leader both before and after taking the captain's armband.

I wish him well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

Likewise. I didn't start a thread but did wonder why is he choosing to leave now? Having just secured his 10 yrs service / testimonial and League Cup medal the timing seemed very odd. As Club Captain I had hoped he would remain and see us start afresh under DD.

Was his decision related to the falling out he had end of last season? Or was it borne out of frustration, money or something else?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

marcoloco wrote:
Likewise. I didn't start a thread but did wonder why is he choosing to leave now? Having just secured his 10 yrs service / testimonial and League Cup medal the timing seemed very odd. As Club Captain I had hoped he would remain and see us start afresh under DD.

Was his decision related to the falling out he had end of last season? Or was it borne out of frustration, money or something else?

Surely that's the best time to leave though ? Go out on a high etc. Testimonials always feel a bit like the closing of a chapter IMO.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

Legend!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

stevebradley wrote:
marcoloco wrote:

Surely that's the best time to leave though ? Go out on a high etc. Testimonials always feel a bit like the closing of a chapter IMO.

True. Coll signed for us after 10 yrs at Harps.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

He has been a great servant for sure, top keeper and one of the best the LOI has seen in my lifetime anyway.

I think maybe the signing of Cherrie made his mind up. I'm sure Cherrie isn't signing for us to sit on the bench. And Gérard rarely misses games.

I wish him all the best. Used to play football with him when he was a young lad, and he's a sound fella.

I'm sure he'll get a IL league club handy enough.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Keyser Soze wrote:
He has been a great servant for sure, top keeper and one of the best the LOI has seen in my lifetime anyway.

I think maybe the signing of Cherrie made his mind up. I'm sure Cherrie isn't signing for us to sit on the bench. And Gérard rarely misses games.

I wish him all the best. Used to play football with him when he was a young lad, and he's a sound fella.

Was there not talk at end of last season that Gerard had left the club?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm 
Manager
Manager

brandyball wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Was there not talk at end of last season that Gerard had left the club?

That was due to his differences with KS

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:23 pm 
Manager
Manager

Signed for Crusaders on an 18 month contract.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wish him all the best.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:27 am 
Manager
Manager

Gave many great moments to remember....some world class saves. Gave it all for DCFC. Good luck to the man.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:30 am 
First Team
First Team

Best of luck Gerard. The penalty save v pats will stand out amongst so many great saves. Great player for a long time, best of luck at the Crues.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:10 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Great keeper and servant to Derry over the years,good luck at the Crusaders Gerard

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

Joined with Darren Quigley and started the season as the #2. Quigley got injured a few games in and Gerard hasn't been moved since. Top keeper, good luck at Crusaders!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Great keeper, and definitely one of the best we have had.

I'm guessing Gerard has made the most GK appearances for the Club which would say a lot about his consistency over a long period of time.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

Good luck Gerard. A true DCFC legend

Post Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

A legend indeed who 'saved our bacon' on too many occasions to recall. I wish him great success in future.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 am 
Manager
Manager

At a time when we have about 60 players a season who play 5 games for us and leave some achievement to last a decade. Good luck

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Board index » On The Pitch » City Chat / News